Go Back  Quiltingboard Forums > Main
Going to my first Quilt Retreat.... >

Going to my first Quilt Retreat....

Going to my first Quilt Retreat....

Old 04-10-2011, 04:47 PM

Okay my iPad was acting funny so here goes. I think you should bring a couple projects to do. At least that's what I did. We were told to bring all our supplies, including machines. I even brought my office chair since we took a truck. We also brought snacks and wine. It was so much fun. Many sewed in their pj's. Comfortable pants is really a good ides as well. Have fun!
Old 04-10-2011, 06:22 PM

I just got back from a 4 day retreat. It was very casual and lots of fun. The organizers had a schedule of classes you could take and some of the ladies worked on their own projects. I took 5 classes and it was a little too many. Next year I probably won't take so many. The retreat was held in a remodeled assisted living center so it was set up for lots of people. Some came and stayed the entire time and some came and went. Food was available for an extra charge or you could eat someplace else. It was great and very resonable. Every day at 1:00 they had sharing time and door prizes donated by the lqs. I won 2 fat quarter bundles and 1 charm pack. Every night at 10:00 they had a group project. We did some quilt blocks for quilts of valor and made some pillow cases for foster children. We also made a protable ironing board and some other projects. It was a lot of fun and I came home really pumped about getting my projects done and sharing things I learned. Go planning to meet new people and having a lot of fun.
Old 04-11-2011, 02:06 AM

well, everything except the kitchen sink is what it will feel like! With that said, bring several projects to work on....you will have endless hours of quilting and you do not want to get bored with only one project...you will need to know what is provided- cutting mat, irons, etc but you will essentially be taking almost all of your needed tools and then some. Contact others attending for some advise as well. Have FUN and I'm sure this will be the first of many to come. My advise to new quilters is to take a beginning quilting class and then attend retreats- lots of teachers there!As well as inspiration. Don't forget your own pillow- you do not want a stiff neck hampering your concentration.
Old 04-11-2011, 08:39 AM

Well, I went to one recently and I brought everything
I needed. My machine, iron, board, matt...and extra
material to play with, and a project I wanted to make.
It was great walking around seeing what everyone was
working on, and I did get a quilt top cut and sewed.
It was the greatest time, everyone friendly, and very
interested in what everyone was doing. They did have
someone teaching a project, but you had the option of
participating or bringing your own project.
Have fun...you will sign up again for next year before you leave.
Old 04-12-2011, 03:37 AM

I take projects that are in progress, already cut out. That is the main thing for me, I don't waste precious time cutting. I always take more than I will ever finish during retreat time but I usually come home with something finished or almost finished. This is a time to relax, learn from all others and make new friends. Relax and enjoy your self It is refueling time!!
Old 04-12-2011, 08:35 AM

The retreat my daughter and I are going to this weekend is in New Hampshire at Singing Hill Conference Center. I just organized my 3 projects, in case I actually finish something, :) or get bored, (more likely). Now I am off to organize all my supplies and figure out how I am going to fit both of our luggage into my little Honda hybrid! ;-)
Thanks again to all of you for your great suggestions!
Old 04-12-2011, 08:45 AM

I usually take several projects, more than I could get finished. That way, once I get there, I can see how I feel. I try to precut my fabric, but love charm square and jelly roll projects for retreats, since most of the cutting is done already.

If you have a favorite pillow, take it with you. Also, if you are of that "certain" age (as I am), you might want to take a small fan. If you like to sew barefooted, you might want to take some slippers or footies, because the places I have been to have all had cold floors. Check out the website of the retreat location and it will tell you if you need to bring your own shampoo, soap, etc.
Old 04-12-2011, 10:21 AM

Sorry I haven't read the whole thread, but if no one has suggested it, be sure to label, or use sissor fobs, your rulers, sissors, lights, extension plugs,cutting boards etc. I have a sheet of kid's stickers that's ladybugs and all of my stuff has one on it - I do this in classes too. If you lay a tool down somewhere or some one borrows, you will have no problem finding yours. Also, be sure to walk away from your machine sometimes and look at what everyone is working on - you can learn so much from your fellow quilters and get new ideas. Also if you have a project that you are just stuck on - bring it and show it and ask for ideas of what to do. Most of all HAVE FUN and enjoy sewing with no interruptions!!! Forget sleeping just sew sew sew!
Old 04-12-2011, 10:35 AM

Originally Posted by kimscruzer
How does one find out about these retreats?
I belong to two quilting guilds and they both have at least one quilting retreat each year. A fellow guild member's parents also own a quilt retreat center and she usually organizes two a year. Check with your local LQS. And look at quilt store sites on-line. Some of them organize retreats.

Otherwise, if you have some quilting buddies, plan your own. Google quilt retreat or retreat centers, then start reading and calling. Prices will vary depending on the amenities. Ask questions! Do they serve meals or do you have to bring your own food.
Old 04-13-2011, 02:21 PM

I pulled this list from the internet the first time I 'retreated'. Found it to be pretty complete. As for projects - take more than you think you'll finish so that you fill your time. I generally take easier projects since a LOT of talking goes on at ours and the ability to concentrate is sometimes a challenge! It's also easier to do the cutting prior to the retreat for that reason....less mistakes and no matter what - take extra project fabric in case you did mis-cut or need to redo a block for example. Have a lot of fun!!!
What to bring checklist
Food
o Snack to share
o Favorite Chocolate
o Soda
Clothing
o Comfortable pants, sweats, shorts
o T-shirt/shirts
o Sweatshirt/sweater
o Pajamas
o Comfortable shoes
o Slippers