Go Back  Quiltingboard Forums > Main
Going to my first quilting convention!  Will I find these there.... >

Going to my first quilting convention! Will I find these there....

Going to my first quilting convention! Will I find these there....

Old 06-21-2013, 03:52 AM

I'm with Ube quilting -- what is shot cotton? And why would you want to use it if it's shot? LOL!
Old 06-21-2013, 04:30 AM

Originally Posted by Susan7639 View Post
Big quilting convention in Columbus next week and I can not wait to walk through the retail part. I have a project brewing in my head but can not find English paper hexs or shot cotton locally. Do you think these are available at large conventions? Hope so!
Don't know about shot cotton, but why don't you just print your hexies, and cut them out. There are several sites to choose from. Can't think of the sites off hand, but you can google " hexagon shapes to print". I have printed and cut out thousands of them. Really does not take a lot of time.
Old 06-21-2013, 05:14 AM

Lots of us going! Maybe we should all wear a flower in our lapel so we can identify each other and say hello! Thanks fir the wonderful tips. One day is definitely all I can do as I need to find baby sitters. Shot cotton is a solid with two colors woven together to give more dimension to the fabric. Looks less flat than just your regular solid.
Old 06-21-2013, 05:38 AM

If you don't find shot cottons, check out www.gloriouscolor.com This is the site that carries all of Kaffe Fassett's shot cottons that are currently available.
Old 06-21-2013, 05:50 AM

When I work with hexies I trace a bunch of them on a piece of paper and take them to my local office supply store and make several photo copies (my printer ink is expensive). I then staple a few (no more than three) pieces of card stock in each hexie for stability & cut out my pieces. I use any thing that I can find that is free for card stock eg. greeting cards, advertisement cards that are in magazines etc.
Old 06-21-2013, 06:03 AM

I use this site too. You can find almost any size and shape you want here!!

Originally Posted by dakotamaid View Post
If you don't find what you need at the show here is a website I use frequently.

http://www.paperpieces.com/
Old 06-21-2013, 06:07 AM

Originally Posted by Susan7639 View Post
Big quilting convention in Columbus next week and I can not wait to walk through the retail part. I have a project brewing in my head but can not find English paper hexs or shot cotton locally. Do you think these are available at large conventions? Hope so!
what size hexes are you looking for, I have a bunch and would be happy to send them to you!
Old 06-21-2013, 06:33 AM

Our local quilt show had a vendor selling shot cotton as well as daiwabo cottons. I bought some shot cotton and wow - Beautiful fabrics! I bet a big convention would have the hex papers and the shot cotton. Connecting threads has the papers online at a great price by the way. If you can't find them at the convention, here is the link: http://www.connectingthreads.com/Eng...erHexagon.html
Old 06-21-2013, 10:25 AM

Wish I could go too. That would be cool if every one wore a flower or something to identify quilting board members. It could be a challege to see who finds the most board members