Welcome to the Quilting Board!

Already a member? Login above
loginabove
OR
To post questions, help other quilters and reduce advertising (like the one on your left), join our quilting community. It's free!

Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast

Thread: Going to my first quilting convention! Will I find these there....

Going to my first quilting convention! Will I find these there....

Big quilting convention in Columbus next week and I can not wait to walk through the retail part. I have a project brewing in my head but can not find English paper hexs or shot cotton locally. Do you think these are available at large conventions? Hope so!

Power Poster
    Blog Entries
    If they don't have it, I'm sure they will have the information on how to get it.

If your convention has set up a website you can see the vendor listing in advance. Many bigger show organizers have direct links to vendor websites so you can get an idea of what they carry and form a plan of attack when you get into the vendor area. Wear comfortable shoes and I recommend a fanny pack as opposed to a purse so your hands are free to carry all your booty!

If you don't find what you need at the show here is a website I use frequently.

http://www.paperpieces.com/
    Have a great day sewing and remember to "not sweat the small stuff"!!

You should be able to find just about anything quilt related. If this is your first convention, you may get overwhelmed by all the stuff available. Walk through, take a break to get your thoughts together and take another walk. Luckily the first one I went to was close enough that I could go back a second day. On the way home the first day, I remembered what I wanted to look for. Have fun

I love NQA. You will see so many things you "have to have". Good advice to walk through then go back and purchase. Have a great time. I'm going Thurs. Give yourself lots of time to enjoy the quilts. You will be amazed at the beautiful quilting. Take a camera.
    Peace is one of His greatest gifts.

it definitely helps if you can go back a second day. i shop one day, and do nothing but gaze at quilts one day ;-)
    I have chosen to be happy because it is good for my health - Voltaire

As a hint .... I have had a set of hexi templates cut at the local glass shop. Minimal cost to me, as they can be cut from their scrap bin.

When cutting the papers ... I use old greeting cards!
    It doesn't take long to cut a whole bunch of paper hexies ... or the fabric.
    I just do them as a break from other projects.
    The papers are often cut on the kitchen counter, while I wait for supper to cut.
    Fabric, stays in my sewing room, for fear of any food spills (small kitchen)!
    ~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~
    Sew many ideas ... just sew little time!!
    ~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~

Blog Entries
    Okay, What is shot cotton?
    no act of kindness, no matter how small, is ever wasted. Aesop

I've been to the one in Columbus (my hometown!). They'll have it!!

This is the link to the show's vendors: http://www.nqaquiltshow.org/show/VendorList
    I'm hoping to go too. Have fun!!

I went 2 years ago and had a blast. Take a lap or two around to scope out who has what (maybe jot down things you see at which vendor so you don't get confused) and then go back. I'm going on Thursday too!

Blog Entries
    Kaffe Fassett has a whole line of shot cottons. Many vendors should his fabric in their booths. I think Paperpieces usually has a booth in the bigger shows. Or maybe the vendors sell paperpieces products, but I have seen paper hexes in every size.
    Got fabric?

Quote Originally Posted by cherisews View Post
    This is the link to the show's vendors: http://www.nqaquiltshow.org/show/VendorList
    I'm hoping to go too. Have fun!!
    Looking at this list, The Back Door is a vendor that sells paper pieces and hexie books. I bought from them at the Paducah show.

The shop where I work sells them.
    I would ask your LQS if they would order them for you. It is our policy to order product when customers ask.
    Cindy

Curator of an 1889 Singer model 27 Fiddlebase Treadle, a 1951 Singer Centennial Featherweight, a 1956 Singer 401A, and a 1982 Bernina 830 Record.

Blog Entries
    I want to go!!! wahhhh

Pack what you need in a small over the shoulder purse, or fanny pack and wear sensible shoes.

Quote Originally Posted by BellaBoo View Post
    Kaffe Fassett has a whole line of shot cottons. Many vendors should his fabric in their booths. I think Paperpieces usually has a booth in the bigger shows. Or maybe the vendors sell paperpieces products, but I have seen paper hexes in every size.
    I'm feelin' kinda dumb here. I looked up the Kaffe Fassett shot fabric and saw that it is beautiful. But what IS shot cotton. Why is it called "shot"? The colors are gorgeous.
    One step at a time, always forward.

Blog Entries
    Oh I can't help you with your project but thank you for the reminder of the Columbus show. I have been so busy with things here I forgot about it. HOpe to be there. Wear comfy shoes and I usually bring one of those reusable grocery bags to carry my purchases so I don't have so many little bags to carry. And bring lots of money and credit cards. Have fun.

Paper Pieces show schedule does not include Columbus but there are other vendors that might have their products. If the Back Door has a booth, English paper piecing is a specialty at the store right now.

Quote Originally Posted by GailG View Post
    I'm feelin' kinda dumb here. I looked up the Kaffe Fassett shot fabric and saw that it is beautiful. But what IS shot cotton. Why is it called "shot"? The colors are gorgeous.
    Don't feel dumb. I have no idea what "shot cotton" is either and am anxiously awaiting an answer from someone who DOES know! Remember, the only dumb question is the one you didn't ask.... there is always someone else out there who wants to know the same thing! Thanks for speaking up! Now, who is going to tell us???? ;-)

Super Member citruscountyquilter's Avatar
    Here's the link to a thread on this board about shot cotton. http://www.quiltingboard.com/main-f1...on-t61383.html I learned something today as I didn't know what it was. It is cotton that is woven with two different color threads to give it depth and shimmer.

Blog Entries
    I would think that you will be able to find almost everything you want there. Or at least information on how and where to find it. Have fun. I've never been to a quilting convention. Be sure and let us know how it goes.
    Be the best that you can be at everything you do.
    Find me on Facebook Be my friend Join my group
    Leesa Kemp's Material Things Fabric Sales and Auctions

You can get the paper hexagons (and other shapes) from Paper Pieces at www.paperpieces.com They have a great site! I do not know what shot cotton is.

Never been to a quilting convention-maybe someday.....!
    If a woman's work is never done....why start?

Going Thursday, for the first time. Does anyone know which vendor if any will carry Bunny Hill ?

Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast