Go Back  Quiltingboard Forums > Main
Going to my first retreat next weekend - Please help me plan a packing list..... >

Going to my first retreat next weekend - Please help me plan a packing list.....

Going to my first retreat next weekend - Please help me plan a packing list.....

Old 10-26-2013, 04:44 PM
Power Poster

Just got back on Thursday from a 5 day retreat. I take the projects I want to work on and all the supplies needed for each project in it's own container. Don't forget thread. I did one time. LOL. Also a spill proof glass or cup.
Old 10-26-2013, 04:50 PM

Notebook, CAMERA!!!!, money--the last retreat I went to, had a couple of very nice vendors.
Old 10-26-2013, 05:00 PM

Was FLASHLIGHT mentioned? I forgot mine last time and then when others were sleeping and I needed something out of my bag I was lost in the dark. Also...I always bring my own tea bags and cup. I also do lots of prep at home and have my precutting done and in large ziplock bag or plastic project container and then I just pull out the project and get working on it at the retreat. If I do per cutting at home I'm not "hogging" the cutting tables and can get right into sewing. I put pattern in bag with fabric so everything for that project is together. The first retreat I went on I didn't bring enough projects so now I bring extras....it's surprising how much gets done with little distractions at a retreat.....have fun!
Old 10-27-2013, 08:00 AM
Power Poster

Have a wonderful time!!!!!!!!!
Old 10-27-2013, 09:37 AM

Great list - and great suggestion to precut and bag individually. I'll reiterate clothing on the packing list. I used to go to a lot of scrapbook retreats - and more than once a friend forgot to pack a change of clothes.

Cheers, K
Old 10-27-2013, 07:07 PM

If you have a expensive computerized sewing machine that you are taking, spend the extra money and by a battery pack surge protector, if you don't already have one. They are about 40-50 dollars at Best Buy, and plug your machine into the battery plug in. I learned the hard way. I took my new Bernina 440 to a quilt retreat in the tullies and fried my mother board and had to replace it, thank goodness it was under warranty. The dealer said the low power is just as harmful as a power surge, and when you have that much power use in one room, the flow of power can go low and cause damage. The battery part will keep the flow even. I shared this information to my guild, but a fellow guild member ended up having the same thing happen to her computerized machine a few years later, and said she wished she had listened to me. I now own four of them, and take one where ever I go to plug my machine into it.
Old 10-27-2013, 09:15 PM

*Just got back from a retreat. Took a surge protector but never heard of battery pack. Have to look for one. The retreat center usually supplies power to the tables, but my machine is too valuable to take the risk. And it only takes a second. Remote areas especially are especially fulnerable. And I have several things to plug in.
*Most of the retreats, personal iron set-up is highly or just plain not allowed. And there's always someone who feels the rule doesn't apply to them and have one hidden in their location. Clover mini iron takes 1/60th the power of a standard iron. Travel irons are all over the board and some actually higher. This is one of my pet peaves because of how much havoc they can cause to machines.
*LIGHT. Amazing how many retreat centers think the light in the room is very good.
*Personal fan if you get hot, try to sit around the outside of the room where there's more ventilation. Layers of clothing if you get cold and sit in the middle of the room. Be adaptable. With women there'll be someone having hot flashes and someone freezing. It's just not possible to please everyone. So take what you need to take care of yourself. And don't demand the heater be set up high, we hot people can take off only so many cloths. I've not seen anyone yet sew in their undies, but I've been tempted. I've thought of a camel pack for ice water to carry on my back. Some people wear quilting gloves to keep their hands warm.
*NO FRAGRANCES; someone's allergic and it'll distroy her whole retreat
*Some way to adjust the height of yourself or the table so you and the machine are ergonomically correct. I have a plastic table my machine fits on that's height adjustable. Space is usally a premium so if you want a table, get there early, not all seats are equal. Try to sit facing the room, not the wall, more people will talk with you. It's hard to sit for 4-5 days and sew if your back feels good, when it hurts, you can't enjoy the retreat. If they have a massage, sign up, usually ~$65/hr. Treat yourself
*Cash. Hide away what you need to get home (gas, food, etc.). There's usually a vendor.
*1+ project for ea 8 hr sewing time. Have a variety of techniques and especially one that doesn't require a machine for the last day, so you can be all packed into the car before the rush happens. Precutting is really good, there's too much distraction, I always make a mistake. Makin' a list, checkin' it twice.....Be sure you have all the supplies for each project and any special tools.....packaged together (I wrap them into a bundle and tye with selvage). I have a tool catty that's always got my standard tools. Wall space for design walls is often at a premium, so be polite about what you take. A king size quilt just takes up too much space. I have a foam core board about 3x4' that will sit on my table, against the wall. Tacking to the walls is discouraged. Sometimes there's space on a patio where tables can be set up for design work or pinning a sandwich together
*I've been to 3 retreats that my machine had problems. I can sew for a yr and have no problems, then get somewhere the machine is important. Just figure. Since I had other projects or a second machine, I just kept going. One time I loaned a machine to a fellow retreater.
*Flash light
*Night light
*Extension cord for the sleeping room
*Masking tape
*Trash recepticle
*Mug that seals, don't want to spill on a computerized machine. Mine is 64 oz so I know if I've drank enough water. If your in the mountains or talking a lot, you'll need more.
*WHEELS. Moving everything from car to room to car is a lot of work. Most places are handicap accessible which means ramps.
*Grace, Humor, Adaptability, Generosity, Teachable spirit, Humility, Curiosity, Love, a Kind Ear, Self-control (you'll never be hungry), Healthy Boundries,
*Something personal at your station for conversation starter, maybe a photo or a key chain bob representing a favorite activity, person or pet or something humorous. Maybe a favorite pin cushion that's unusual.
*Wear a name tag. This isn't the time to be shy
*Calendar, business cards for networking
*Chapstick, fingernail file, first aide
*Someway to tell time
*Alternative to cell phone
*Shoes for the sewing room. I usually sew barefoot, but this is a corporate space that might have pins on the floor and the rug is often well used.
* If you need something, politely ASK. Someone will have what you need. The staff want you to enjoy and return.

Things to leave at home: politics (even in an election year), religion (unless it's advertised as a religious retreat), wining, selfishness, cliques, arrogance, too much stuff; they're a burden to carry around and they'll still be there when you get home. I can think of 2 people who always encroach upon others space and think it's funny. Since we're often at the same retreats, I try to sit in such a way that I don't share space next to them. Two times it's been unavoidable. I've teased about it and jokingly taped off the table asking her if I've got it divided evenly. And I can tease when she encroaches. The retreat I just attended was a Christian retreat and it was enjoyable to have the proper place to share my faith.

Then of course there's cloths, meds, other personal items. Other people have mention many good/necessary things.
Old 10-27-2013, 10:47 PM

If you have these items:

(1) ROLLING office chair (armless)
(2) Portable, folding sewing machine table w/WHEELS

On my first retreat, while sitting/working on the banquet tables with the banquet chairs, I bruised my calves something awful from standing up & pushing the chair back all day long for 3 days ! ! ! Since then, taking my own rolling office chair gave my calves inexplicable relief.

And another thing I learned from my first retreat was the value of a portable sewing table w/wheels. It's nice to have your own set-up & use what was to be your "place" at the table as extra space for cutting, layouts, etc.

Have a GROOVY time . . . GP
Old 10-28-2013, 02:42 AM

Originally Posted by AliKat View Post
For your quilting items, other than the rulers] it is best to have them together in some sort of carryall. I use a clear plastic makeup bag.

The more you can corral your things the less chance of loosing them or having them broken.

Be considerate of others and don't bring more than you need. That includes checking if you are allowed to bring your own iron. Many of the retreats I have been on have specifically said NO IRONS, even the small mini-irons, as they put a drain on the available electrical usage.

I usually don't take batting as I will quilt once I am home and not distracted. I tend to work only on quilt tops. Easier to take and actually finish or almost finish the work.
Re the clear bags. This past Saturday I went to a sew-in at our church. I used a zippered plastic bag from a new set of sheets and the smaller bag from the extra pillowcases I had bought. I placed the smaller items in the smaller bag and then placed it inside the larger bag. Once there I placed the bags near my seat and used the items right out of the bag and replaced them as I was finished. Pick-up was so easy! Thimblebug6000, I love your list. Thanks. I'll probably never go on an all-nighter, but it's a great list even for a day retreat. And, oh yes, don't forget the chocolates!