Go Back  Quiltingboard Forums > Main
Going to Paducah >

Going to Paducah

Going to Paducah

Old 03-14-2011, 08:41 PM

OK ----my DH has offerred to take me ----and 3 friends to Paducah for the quilt show in April... He has reservations at an RV park .
We are all very exited as none of us have been there before. We will be there for thurs afternoon, fri and sat. What suggestions can all you experts make for us?????
I did look up a past site but thought maybe someone has some new ideas .......thanks. Sue in Mi.
Old 03-14-2011, 08:51 PM

ahhhhh....What a darling DH!!!! You will LOVE, LOVE, LOVE it!!!

I have been there only once (so no expert).... it is fabulous.

Enjoy!!
Old 03-14-2011, 09:22 PM

Originally Posted by bysue
OK ----my DH has offerred to take me ----and 3 friends to Paducah for the quilt show in April... He has reservations at an RV park .
We are all very exited as none of us have been there before. We will be there for thurs afternoon, fri and sat. What suggestions can all you experts make for us?????
I did look up a past site but thought maybe someone has some new ideas .......thanks. Sue in Mi.
Make sure you got to Hancocks.
Old 03-14-2011, 10:11 PM

Get the strawberry shortcake outside sold by the boy scouts. Wear super comfy shoes. Cash. And personally, I have a 235 pound pack mule named JR. He's a good hubby. :D And loves to look at the quilts
Old 03-14-2011, 11:04 PM

Wallow in it! Its wonderful but very exhausing to try to do it all in one day. Split your visit into three days.... Go to Hancocks of Paducah one day, The Vendors mall the next day and then finish it off by seeing the quilts in all their glory! Enjoy, Enjoy!
Old 03-15-2011, 12:36 PM

When shopping the vendors - if you like it, buy it. It will be gone when you come back for it. They can only bring so much.
Old 03-15-2011, 03:23 PM
Power Poster

As there aren't many bargains at a quilt show, I buy what is rare for me to find in most LQS stores. At the quilt show vendor floor I always buy lots of the pre cut 18" batting squares, it's too good a value for a low price to pass up. You can't miss the batting table, piles of batting everywhere. The Fanmore scissor booth has great scissors, any type you need. Lots of thread booths. Look at the thread brand that is on most all the long arms set up to demo. The thread vendor that sells that thread has the best bargains. No bargain price on fabric at vendor booths but E Burns has her fabric tent sales and Hancock's of Paducah has the back room sale. Don't forget to go to the back room there. That's where all the charm packs, fat quarter bundles, jelly rolls, quilt kits and end of bolt fabrics are piled high. The main floor doesn't have many bargains but every fabric line you can think of is there. Don't forget to go to the Mall. Lots of vendors in the lobby there.
Old 03-15-2011, 03:57 PM

Before you go, you may want to take a look at some classes listed on the web--the AQS website. Most of the classes are filled up, but a few are left.

At the convention center, there are two floors of quilt displays and vendors. Its overwhelming to see all the artistic quilts.
Then there is Hancock's of Paducah, located a short distance from the Convention Center. Hop on the trolley and it will take you there--Lots of bargain end pieces in back of store--1st quality at about $5.00 a yard. Then the Eleanor Burns show is really good. Again, the trolley will take you there--no worry about driving and parking. She also has a tent set up with lots and lots of fabric on full bolts reasonably priced. The Quilt Museum is also a short distance from the Convention Center.

Wear comfortable shoes and take a lightweight bag. Vendors are there where you can eat lunch; however, they are pricey.
Old 03-16-2011, 12:58 PM
Power Poster

When is food at any event not pricey? LOL. I eat lunch at food vendors in the back, outside. Covered table and chairs to sit at. Just about all the vendors eat there and many of the quilt class teachers. Many quilt show attendees don't know about the outside back food vendors. They only see the outside front food vendors. There is a food concession inside the lobby of the quilt show but no table to eat at same as the front food vendors, no table or chairs. The restaurants downtown are fantastic but always crowded.
Old 03-16-2011, 05:19 PM

Wear comfortable shoes and have layers available with your clothing. A fanny pack instead of a purse so you can pet all the fabric and toys.

Be careful: I wore out a 3 pair of socks because I loved walking all over ... except to the Fairgrounds [then we took the shuttle.]

We did carry granola bars and water bottles. After all I am from Arizona and don't go anywhere without a water bottle. Only now I take the itty bitty ones and refil them easily at water fountains or where ever I can. These also weigh much less.

ali

ali