Go Back  Quiltingboard Forums > Main
Going to Paducah what's not to Miss >

Going to Paducah what's not to Miss

Going to Paducah what's not to Miss

Old 03-03-2016, 04:53 AM

Red face Going to Paducah what's not to Miss

I will be going to the quilt show in Paducah this year. I need some suggestions on what not to miss. Also if you have any suggestions on what to take that I haven't thought of.
I was there 20 years ago, but I am sure that it has changed a great deal.
Old 03-03-2016, 05:53 AM
Power Poster

How long do you plan to stay? It takes me at least 2 days to see all and not be rushed. Eleanor Burns tent show is now a ticket required event but worth it.
Old 03-03-2016, 05:58 AM

Originally Posted by Onebyone View Post
How long do you plan to stay? It takes me at least 2 days to see all and not be rushed. Eleanor Burns tent show is now a ticket required event but worth it.
I will be there 5 nights so hope to see alot!
Old 03-03-2016, 09:20 AM

Comfortable walking shoes. Make sure to visit all the stores in the downtown areas as they all hang quilts and have lots of fun quilting items to purchase. I think we all know about Hancock's, lol. Last 2 times we went, found a parking spot and rode the shuttle around. They don't allow pull around carts so keep that in mind. Enjoy
Old 03-03-2016, 09:23 AM
Power Poster

I have never gone but you have to decided what events you want to go to. They should have a list of events planned. EB is a great show if you have never seen her live. It took me three days to do Quilt Market.
Old 03-03-2016, 09:25 AM

There are free shuttle busses that take you all over town. Be sure to see the antique quilts at the Cherry Civic Center.
$7 to get in, but it is well worth it. There are vendors there and the Hoffman Challenge wall hangings too.

Many of the churches in Paducah have meals. Good home cooking at a reasonable price and proceeds go to charity. Some require a reservation because they are so popular. (I can post the schedule later when they get it printed up)

The Episcopal Church usually has a handmade lace exhibit and lovely luncheon...carry out available on many of these church meals.

Kirchoff's Bakery in downtown Paducah is a local landmark and a great place to eat. Everything is fresh and unique...chicken salad on cranberry walnut bread or their famous Reuben on homemade rye are must haves...cookies and pastries can be packed up and munched on as you walk.

Downtown is full of specialty shops and neat eateries...empty stores are rented for the week by vendors too. Fun to walk up and down Broadway and browse.

The Murray Sewing Center rents a huge building right across from the Museum and they have piles of $5.99 fabric. The Museum is one block over from Broadway...and the show is 3 blocks from the Museum, so if you don't have any physical problems..easy walking, or the shuttles will take you right to the doors if it is raining or you need to ride.

Outside the convention center, huge tents are set up and food vendors are right there...you can get anything from local BBQ to strawberry shortcake

Eleanor Burns had open heart surgery last fall, but she's doing great. We're not sure how her recovery will impact her shows, but she should be either in her store on in the old firehouse location with tons of fabric.

Be sure to watch the Egyptian man making quilts...He's a tent maker from Cairo Egypt and it is astonishing what he does with a needle, thread and a huge pair of scissors. He's downstairs at the Convention Center.
Old 03-03-2016, 09:49 AM

Thumbs up

Originally Posted by melodyr View Post
There are free shuttle busses that take you all over town. Be sure to see the antique quilts at the Cherry Civic Center.
$7 to get in, but it is well worth it. There are vendors there and the Hoffman Challenge wall hangings too.

Many of the churches in Paducah have meals. Good home cooking at a reasonable price and proceeds go to charity. Some require a reservation because they are so popular. (I can post the schedule later when they get it printed up)

The Episcopal Church usually has a handmade lace exhibit and lovely luncheon...carry out available on many of these church meals.

Kirchoff's Bakery in downtown Paducah is a local landmark and a great place to eat. Everything is fresh and unique...chicken salad on cranberry walnut bread or their famous Reuben on homemade rye are must haves...cookies and pastries can be packed up and munched on as you walk.

Downtown is full of specialty shops and neat eateries...empty stores are rented for the week by vendors too. Fun to walk up and down Broadway and browse.

The Murray Sewing Center rents a huge building right across from the Museum and they have piles of $5.99 fabric. The Museum is one block over from Broadway...and the show is 3 blocks from the Museum, so if you don't have any physical problems..easy walking, or the shuttles will take you right to the doors if it is raining or you need to ride.

Outside the convention center, huge tents are set up and food vendors are right there...you can get anything from local BBQ to strawberry shortcake

Eleanor Burns had open heart surgery last fall, but she's doing great. We're not sure how her recovery will impact her shows, but she should be either in her store on in the old firehouse location with tons of fabric.

Be sure to watch the Egyptian man making quilts...He's a tent maker from Cairo Egypt and it is astonishing what he does with a needle, thread and a huge pair of scissors. He's downstairs at the Convention Center.
Thank you you have been very helpful! If you think of anything else just put in this thread.
Old 03-03-2016, 10:34 AM

when we go we also go to Patti's restaurant http://www.pattis1880s.com Don't forget the quilt museum and shopping at Hancocks.
Old 03-03-2016, 10:50 AM

Here's some pics.

The first one is the antique quilt show at the cherry Center.

The next ones are the Murray Sewing Center sale.

Oh, and I forgot to mention...visit the YoYo ladies set up in the lobby of the Convention Center (one of them is my Mom)

and finally, a view of the tents and food vendors outside the Convention Center.
Attached Thumbnails qs-rz-3.jpg   qs-rz-4.jpg   qs-rz-5.jpg   qs-rz-1.jpg   qs-rz2.jpg  

Old 03-03-2016, 11:03 AM

More pictures.

Egyptian Tentmaker's work

Antique quilts for sale at the Cherry Center

Eleanor Burn's fabric sale

Kirchoff's Bakery

Horse drawn carriage rides through Paducah
Attached Thumbnails qs-1.jpg   qs-2.jpg   qs-3.jpg   qs-4.jpg   qs-5.jpg