Go Back  Quiltingboard Forums > Main
On going saga of pressing binding. Yay or Nay? >

On going saga of pressing binding. Yay or Nay?

On going saga of pressing binding. Yay or Nay?

Old 03-18-2023, 05:19 AM

I should try new things but I do press my binding in half. I rarely use biased bindings. I just fold it over itself into about 12 inch lengths and tie a bit of selvage around it at both ends. this keeps it neat until ready to use as a lot of times I make the binding for the quilt before I quilt it unless I am planning on just using the trimmings from the backing. I don't pin my bindings on, I just start stitching them to the back using my walking foot then serpentine stitch to the front using my walking foot also, I have found that if I position the front just a bit beyond the stitching from the back and then position binding along the inner side of the toe of my walking foot, the stitch line is positioned just fine. Took a bit of practice to also get the mitered corners of the binding to lay nice but most of the time they are just fine now. I only hand stitch the binding on very, very, very special quilts. I have too much stash to stitch up!
Old 03-18-2023, 06:22 AM

Don't press in half here.I like thinner binding on one side and wider on the other, because I do double sided quilts and one side or the other the binding color needs to be minimized Looking back on older quilts where I used to press the binding in half, they don't seem to be filled nicely. I think I was concentrating on keeping the sharp fold at the outside rather than rolling nicely filling that void.
Old 03-18-2023, 06:31 AM

Originally Posted by Peckish View Post
I haven't pressed my binding in half for years. I know a lot of people insist on doing it because it's how they were "taught", but honestly I wonder how many people question why when they're taught this. It's like that old story about why you cut the end of the roast off before cooking it. The child asked why do you cut it? Mom said, well that's how my mom taught me so that's how I've always done it. So then Mom goes and asks the grandma, and she said "Because it's the only way the roast would fit in my pan."

I find that by NOT pressing the binding in half, it rolls around the raw edge of the quilt a lot easier, sits nicer on the quilt, feels fuller, plus I get to skip a step.
I'm the same, Peggi. I don't press mine and don't have problems. I always question "because that's the way my mom did it". In my sewing and quilting journey, I've found that a lot of the time, mom's way wasn't always the best. It was how she saw someone else do it.
Old 03-18-2023, 07:45 AM

I think this clearly falls in the do what you want to do and what works best for you category. There is no right or wrong. I have tried not pressing, and didn't like it. I like the ability to slightly manipulate exactly where I want the edge, and my stitch to fall. I also tried machine stitching the binding down, and didn't like that either. It's all personal preference. No quilt police writing tickets, or even giving warnings!!
Old 03-18-2023, 03:27 PM

I have also tried it both ways. I prefer to press it first, but that is just how I like to do it. I am sure pressing it or not pressing it is just a personal choice. I always remember that there is not a Quilting Police Force watching over me. Enjoy whichever way you do it.
Old 03-18-2023, 07:43 PM

My goodness, thanks so much for all of your comments. It really is just do it the way you want, isn't it? I'm ready to get started on the binding. I love this part of the quilting process. It's like frosting the cake. Just finishes everything up and frames the work of days, weeks, months, and sometimes years. It's just that extra wrap of love. I'm staying with the way I've been doing it for years, not going to iron that binding in half. I've learned to bind by machine and I'm staying with that too.
Thanks again for your responses! Such a great group of folks here!
Old 03-19-2023, 03:07 AM

I’ve done both and prefer pressing, but only because I find my binding tends to shift and wave as I’m sewing it on if I don’t press it first. I think it’s more a matter of perfsonal preference, one that way is not better than the other. There is no right or wrong way. It’s what you prefer and is most comfortable for you.
Old 03-19-2023, 05:29 AM

I don't have any problems with pressing my bindings in half first. I sure haven't noticed any ridge left in my binding after done. My quilt seems to fill the binding just fine. I cut my strips 2.5, use a 1/4 inch seam to attach and pull the binding just a tad over the first stitch line to attach. I do it all with machine. Works for me.
Old 03-19-2023, 11:14 AM

I do not press my binding
Old 03-19-2023, 12:02 PM

I prefer to press in half, I make my binding’s 2.25 and I get a nice full binding. It takes me a few days to finish binding a quilt since I only do it for a few hours on the evenings. I find binding very therapeutic and enjoy the process.