Go Back  Quiltingboard Forums > Main
On going saga of pressing binding. Yay or Nay? >

On going saga of pressing binding. Yay or Nay?

On going saga of pressing binding. Yay or Nay?

Old 03-17-2023, 04:23 PM

Default On going saga of pressing binding. Yay or Nay?

For years I've pressed my binding in half before sewing it onto the quilt. The last couple of years I've just folded it as I've sewn it on. Recently I've been doing some volunteer work with binding and most of the bindings have been pre pressed in half. It seems to be easier for me, what the heck? What has been your experience with both ways? I'm wanting to look at your responses to help me decide what the best option is and why? I'm having second thoughts before adding the binding to a monster king I've just finished quilting. Happy St. Patricks' Day!
Old 03-17-2023, 04:47 PM

I like mine ironed, I don't want to not iron it and get an odd missmatched-doesn't fold right, so it messes up the rest of the binding. Like if it isn't exactly falling right because of the grain in the fabic. Something you can easily ease out if you have ironed it in half.

I had recently bought one of those new fangled silicone things where you feed your binding through a belt-like loop on one side and then on the other and then lay your iron in the middle, pulling the binding through, under the iron, folding it as you guide it with your other hand. I used it a few times, but the last time I went to use it, it was covered with a white powdery - mildew or perhaps a mold. It wasn't because it was put away damp or wet. It was stored, sitting out in the open on top of a stand by my machine. I think there was something off about it, for it to get this stuff growing on it. I tossed it into the trash.

I didn't think it worked all that better than by doing it by hand anyhow. I could basically do it faster by hand than by that process, as you had to repeatedly pick up the iron anyway to get the iron to turn back on, from the auto off. As a note, I also have a silicone iron rest and I have never had powdery mildew or mold grow on it.

Last edited by quiltsfor; 03-17-2023 at 04:54 PM.
Old 03-17-2023, 04:52 PM

I haven't pressed my binding in half for years. I know a lot of people insist on doing it because it's how they were "taught", but honestly I wonder how many people question why when they're taught this. It's like that old story about why you cut the end of the roast off before cooking it. The child asked why do you cut it? Mom said, well that's how my mom taught me so that's how I've always done it. So then Mom goes and asks the grandma, and she said "Because it's the only way the roast would fit in my pan."

I find that by NOT pressing the binding in half, it rolls around the raw edge of the quilt a lot easier, sits nicer on the quilt, feels fuller, plus I get to skip a step.
Old 03-17-2023, 06:36 PM

I press my bindings because it's easier to control while winding it onto the binding holder. It unwinds as I sew it onto the quilt. I tried not ironing it, but it just wasn't winding well. The winder clamps to the end of the ironing table, so I press. about 30 inches, wind it, press another 30 inches and wind, until all the binding is pressed. With the winder clipped to the end of my sewing table I don't need to pin or clip the binding to the quilt as I sew it on.
Old 03-17-2023, 07:18 PM
Power Poster

I usually press my binding on half because I find it easier to match the 2 edges up to the edge of the quilt. Once it is sewn on, I press the binding out from the front and then fold it to the back and press and pin or clip it to the back. Do what works best for you.
Old 03-17-2023, 09:25 PM
Power Poster

Once I tried not pressing it, I never looked back. Do what works for you, but don't be afraid to try something new. I'll never press it again!
Old 03-18-2023, 02:24 AM
Power Poster

I usually use bias binding.

I do not press it in half, but u do baste the edges together with a long, arrow zigzag switch. The reason I do not press it in half is because when the fabric turns, the halfway mark is off where the actual final fold is.

I also sew the layers of the quilt sandwich together.

That way, I only need to make sure that I only need to match 'rwo" sets of edges.
Old 03-18-2023, 02:44 AM

I began to wonder if it might be the difference between bias binding or straight cut but maybe not after reading previous comments here. Mine is cut width of fabric and I don't press because I think the binding loses a few threads in the turning over the edge and, besides that, it's just one more step that I find unnecessary. This is another of those--whatever works best for you tips! Whichever way you do it, nobody will know when the quilt is finished.
Old 03-18-2023, 03:30 AM

I've tried both ironed and not ironed and prefer to iron my bindings. Since you tried both, go with the one you like. Look out monster sized king quilt!
Old 03-18-2023, 05:02 AM

I do press my binding in half before sewing to the quilt front. it seems like it does make it easier for me to stitch to the back of the quilt.
My monster sized quilt...I sewed to the back and wrapped to the front and then edge stitched it on the machine.