Welcome to the Quilting Board!

Already a member? Login above
loginabove
OR
To post questions, help other quilters and reduce advertising (like the one on your left), join our quilting community. It's free!

Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast

Thread: Going to Shipshewana, IN--any recommendations?

Cool Going to Shipshewana, IN--any recommendations?

Greetings,

I will be going to Shipshewana, IN next week and wondered if anyone had recommendations about quilt shops, fabric etc. Long before I was interested in quilting I remember there was a lot of fabric there but that was about it.

Thanks,
    Pat

Blog Entries
    Lolly's and Lolly's basement!!!!
    No one has ever become poor by giving. - Anne Frank
    Darkness cannot drive out darkness; only light can do that. Hate cannot drive out hate; only love can do that. - Martin Luther King, Jr.

http://www.etsy.com/shop/TheQuiltedPig

Quote Originally Posted by auntpiggylpn View Post
    I second!!!!!

Ditto!!!!!!!!!!

Blog Entries
    Yoders is also good- Spectors is a smaller store, how far out will you be able to travel or will you be just in town ? Das Essenhaus has a small but nice shop and wonderful food as well
    To keep your mind fresh- learn one new thing a day !

Blog Entries
    Here is their website and address

http://www.lollys.com/
    Darkness cannot drive out darkness; only light can do that. Hate cannot drive out hate; only love can do that. - Martin Luther King, Jr.

Blog Entries
    I wish I was going too!

I would make sure and go the the museum exhibit close to Yoders, Menno-hof. It is truly educational about the history of the Amish/Mennonites. I also enjoy a trip into the big bulk food store. Some really interesting products and folk remedies. Take a list of fabric you need and samples of colors to match.

Get a copy of the Budget, a weekly Amish newspaper, and read all the letters sent in from reporters around the world.
    I think it is $1.

I've been wanting to make a trip up there, too. I'm bookmarking this thread so I'll know what not to miss when I get there! Hope your trip goes well and you find lots of cool things to bring home.
    Miss Rita

Amish chicken & noodles....YUM! Love that place : )

I thought I read about a quilt show in June? Is that true and has anyone ever been to it?

Blog Entries
    Quote Originally Posted by 21quilter View Post
    I thought I read about a quilt show in June? Is that true and has anyone ever been to it?
    I have been to the quilt show the last two years. I am going back this year and going to see Ricky Timms. I cannot wait. If you get the chance to go, do it. You won't be sorry.
    Happy Quilting.

Blog Entries
    Quote Originally Posted by 21quilter View Post
    I went to the quilt show for the first time last year. It was the first large show I have ever been to. It was fantastic! I didn't take any classes. So many fantastic and beautiful quilts! Vendors galore! and then driving around the town, stopping at all the fabric stores. . . It was such a wonderful jam packed day!!!

The Shipshewana Quilt Festival is June 20-23 this year.
    http://www.shipshewanaquiltfest.com/

The LQS where I work, Caroline's Cottage Cottons in Rome City, has been on the shop hop in the past, but not this year. We will be having our July 4th sale during that time, since we are closed on July 4.
    http://www.carolinescottagecottons.com/ (our website is still under construction) We specialize in Civil War reproductions and wool penny rug supplies.

Stop in and see me while you're in Indiana!
    Cindy

I agree, Lolly's and Lolly's basement!

The Blue Gate for lunch. It is wonderful. Yoder's, Lolly's and Lolly's basement are always on my list.

Blog Entries
    A bunch of us are renting a van and going on Tuesday. We will be going to Yoder's shop (fresh meat and homemade jams and jellies, etc.), the flea market, a buggy ride, and then to an Amish house for dinner. I hope we have time to go fabric shopping, but I'm not sure how many of the other women quilt.

Blog Entries
    Quote Originally Posted by lovestosew View Post
    A bunch of us are renting a van and going on Tuesday. We will be going to Yoder's shop (fresh meat and homemade jams and jellies, etc.), the flea market, a buggy ride, and then to an Amish house for dinner. I hope we have time to go fabric shopping, but I'm not sure how many of the other women quilt.
    Yoders has fabric LOL

There's a store that is one block off the main drag. It has lots of shops inside the store and one of them is a quilt shop. They have LOTS of fabulous fabric. Be sure to plan some time to just wander around and look at what they have. Sorry I can't remember the name but I'm sure someone can help you once you get there. We found it by accident.

Senior Member Karen's Kreations's Avatar
    Bring plenty of 'plastic' and have fun.

You're talking about the Davis Merchantile. Originally it was an old hotel, but that building burned down several years ago and they rebuilt a huge new building. Lolly's and A Little Bit of Lolly's is in that building.

Lolly's has recently marked up all their fabric to $11.99/yd, or so I've been told. I don't shop there anymore, since I started working at Caroline's. She has much more reasonable prices and does a terrific job of choosing fabric for the shop.

Quote Originally Posted by Karen's Kreations View Post
    Bring plenty of 'plastic' and have fun.
    Be aware that the Amish do not accept credit cards, only cash.

Blog Entries
    Quote Originally Posted by pseudoquilter View Post
    Be aware that the Amish do not accept credit cards, only cash.
    They have taken my debit/credit cards when I went at the larger stores, Lollys, Little bit of Lollys, Yoders, Spectors, Das Essenhaus, can't say for sure about the smaller "home" type stores

Hmmm, brings back a great memory and now I am putting it on my "road trip list" for this year......The restaurant on the corner...Blue something ( think) had the most wonderful food! If you like meatloaf, you cannot beat that one!!!!! Now I want to make meatloaf for dinner...btw, when we were there, I purchased a gallon of the honey barbeque sauce that was put on that meatloaf, another reason to go back....need to replenish my supply...... All the fabric shops there are great as are the boutique type shops......bring your plastic or $$ or checkbook......Are you going on a Wednesday when they also have the flea market??????? A double Whammy!!!!!!

Quote Originally Posted by Geri B View Post
    Hmmm, brings back a great memory and now I am putting it on my "road trip list" for this year......The restaurant on the corner...Blue something ( think) had the most wonderful food! If you like meatloaf, you cannot beat that one!!!!! Now I want to make meatloaf for dinner...btw, when we were there, I purchased a gallon of the honey barbeque sauce that was put on that meatloaf, another reason to go back....need to replenish my supply...... All the fabric shops there are great as are the boutique type shops......bring your plastic or $$ or checkbook......Are you going on a Wednesday when they also have the flea market??????? A double Whammy!!!!!!
    The restaurant is the Blue Gate. GREAT food there!
    Flea market is huge. If you can spend more than one day there you will get to see/shop for so much more.

Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast