Welcome to the Quilting Board!

Already a member? Login above
loginabove
OR
To post questions, help other quilters and reduce advertising (like the one on your left), join our quilting community. It's free!

Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast

Thread: Going to try out a new sewing machine

Going to try out a new sewing machine

Saturday DH and I are going to the Twin Citeis (MN) to visit relatives, and he has made arrangements to stop in a quilt shop so I can try out a machine I'm considering.

So they are going to have the Juki 2010, and the Brother equivalent ready for me to try. I'll be bringing along some samples, including some long strips, pieced strips and even some paper piecing. I think I'll bring along something to try sewing on a binding also.

I think my husband is more excited about this than I am. He said the lady he talked to would make sure they have one of each ready to go in a box, and that she sounded confident we'd be leaving with one of them. My main machine is 35 years old, and though I love it, I'd also love to get a thread cutter and a knee lift. Not to mention a bit more speed!

While it's common for me to bring a sewing machine back home when I make a trip like this, this will be one of the few times the machine will be less than 50 years old!
    My name is Cathy - and I'm addicted to old sewing machines and their attachments.

Congratulations. Have fun. Sounds like you have enough samples to try, however, if free motion quilting is something you need the machine to do, make sure you take a quilt sandwich or two to try too. Good luck.

Wind a bobbin on each one, put in and take out the bobbin. Be sure and know how the auto threader works. All new machines sew the same, it's the details that make it great.
    I believe giving what I can will never cause me to be in need.
    Being cheap is not a badge of honor.
    My heroes are working people, paying their own way, taking care of their children and being decent human beings.

Blog Entries
    Sounds like a fun trip! Let us know what happens.

Blog Entries
    Have a great trip, and keep an eye on the weather.

Sounds like fun but I slow down and find that I am more accurate with my piecing when I do slow it down. No need for speed. I have had my Bernina 1530 and very seldom use the knee lift. I tried the thread cutter on a Janome 6600 and I am too old to learn new tricks so I am just sticking with using enders.
    A Good Friend, like an old quilt, is both a Treasure and a Comfort

At the Houston Quilt Festival, I was able to use a machine that had the thread cutter, and found I preferred leaders and enders; however, it would be a good feature for PP. I do use my knee lift. It is great if you machine applique. I agree that you should check out the mechanics -- winding and loading bobbins and threading the machine.

Blog Entries
    That will be fun! I have had the Juki TL2010 for over 2 years now. I love it! I didn't have a nearby dealer...bought it sight unseen based on many positive reviews. It's been perfect straight from the box! It's not fussy about thread and I never have to mess with the tension.

Hope you had a fun day! What a nice idea your husband came up with, even if you don't come home with a new machine.

Have had a Bernina w/ knee lift for 20 years and used it... Twice? Others I know love it and wouldn't be without. I think it is true that they are very helpful for machine applique.

I'm looking forward to hearing how your trip went!

That is wonderful, I have heard great things about both machines. The one you work well with is the one to get, as you well know. Sounds like a nice trip and exciting. Let us know what you come home with.
    Sewbeadit
    W. Washington

I like be to be in a shop when couples come in. The husband always encourages his wife to get the machine! She tends to hesitate and try to buy a lower priced model and he looks at the employee and says, we will take THIS one. Always makes me smile and he is happy to get her what she wants. Enjoy shopping! I wish that I could watch!

Sandy
    Sandygirl

Janome 9900 / Janome 9700 / Janome 3160 QVC/ Janome 1100D serger, Juki 2020 Mini
    Singer Centennial model (inherited from my late, fav aunt!)

Cathy, I hope you had a great trip, and I hope you got what you wanted (and what DH also wanted for you). Please let us know/see what you got! Enjoy!

Have a blessed, joyous Christmas!

Jeanette

Blog Entries
    How exciting... it sounds like you are well prepared for the test drive. Don't forget to report back on your experience. Have a safe trip.
    attitude is everything...the rest will fall into place.

South East Michigan...at the bottom of the thumb!
    Happy shopping. Sewing machines are the most fun items to shop for!!

I hope you find the sewing machine of our dreams. I have a a knee lift and use it all the time. I don't have an automatic thread cuterr.

I have the knee lift and thread cutter and it would be hard for me to go back to not using those features - I have the Janome 6600 (love it).

Blog Entries
    sounds like a fun trip. just check to see how the maintenance will be handled since you'll be states away. they can probably tell you where you can get it cared for near you. Enjoy your new machine!!
    Life's More Fun with a Doxie !!
    ​Have a Great Day !
    Vicki G
    https://www.facebook.com/vickigdesigns
    https://www.etsy.com/shop/VickiGDesigns

I have several machines with both knee lifts and thread cutters. I would not be without the knee lift. If I sew on a madchine that does not have one (FW) I find my knee going for it and it is not there. Habits are hard to break. As for the thread cutter, I do use it but have found on my Janome 77 Horizon if I use Aurifil thread, the thread is cut too short and unthreads the needle. Frustrating. So now I use the enders because I love the Aurifil thread.

Quote Originally Posted by Sandygirl View Post
    I like be to be in a shop when couples come in. The husband always encourages his wife to get the machine! She tends to hesitate and try to buy a lower priced model and he looks at the employee and says, we will take THIS one. Always makes me smile and he is happy to get her what she wants. Enjoy shopping! I wish that I could watch!

Sandy

Sandy, that is how I ended up with the Fusion. I was considering upgrading my Bailey to the 21" model, and DH kept telling me to look around at a "real" long arm. Of course, I was spending my money, not his!

DH did sew just a bit on a Juki2010 last summer when we were out collecting the Row by Row patterns. He always looks over the machines while I'm drooling over fabric. And since he's my OSMG, I trust his judgement when he is impressed by a machine.

We already checked with our "local" Juki dealer (an hour away), which is also the place we bought the Fusion, and they said they'd have no problem if we need support (they don't carry this machine as they can't compete with the internet prices). And DH can handle most things if it does not involve electronics.

The only reason I won't get the machine is if I decide it does not sew anywhere near as well as my current machine.
    My name is Cathy - and I'm addicted to old sewing machines and their attachments.

Quote Originally Posted by peaceandjoy View Post
    Hope you had a fun day! What a nice idea your husband came up with, even if you don't come home with a new machine.

Have had a Bernina w/ knee lift for 20 years and used it... Twice? Others I know love it and wouldn't be without. I think it is true that they are very helpful for machine applique.

I'm looking forward to hearing how your trip went!
    I have been using a Bernina 1031 for the last 23 years, it has the knee lift, I use it all the time. When I switch to another machine, I find myself looking for it. Have fun with your "test drive".
    Last year I bought a Pfaff Quilt Expression 4.2, I really,really like the IDT(built in walking foot); 10" throat space for quilting. It has the knee lift, however it works differently than the Bernina's does; it doesn't need the knee lift as the machine works the same without it. The 4.2 has no presser foot lifter, its all computerized.
    Its funny when I sew with a treadle and I'm looking for the button that puts the foot down.
    Sharon in Texas
    Last edited by purplefiend; 12-18-2015 at 06:51 AM.

Yes, yes, check that auto threader. I have 2 machines, one works awesome, one sucks!!
    Better to do something imperfectly, than nothing perfectly.
    Done is better than perfect.

From personal experience I would not let a thread cutter be a deal breaker. They do cause more birds nests in my opinion. The idea is great, but some times the short piece of bobbin thread seems to get snarled.

I'm putting together a box of what I want to try sewing - and remembered the rows of hexies I've been working on. Those don't need speed, but I'm thinking having the knee lift foot will be awesome.

Sounds like an exciting and fun trip. Enjoy and come home with a "Goodie"

I guarantee you will love the speed! I have been sewing on my Mom's 950 Bernina it is a "transitional" machine between true industrial and home machine. I made 2 Christmas tree skirts the other day and it took for ever to sew all that length to gather for ruffles. Man I love that speed and where do I start on how wonderful a knee lift is. I don't have a thread cutter but Love this machine I had always thought I would get a Juki or Brother but I will love and enjoy what I have. So have a great time shopping and let us know what you decide to purchase.

Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast