Welcome to the Quilting Board!

Already a member? Login above
loginabove
OR
To post questions, help other quilters and reduce advertising (like the one on your left), join our quilting community. It's free!

Page 2 of 4 FirstFirst 1 2 3 ... LastLast

Thread: Good, Bad, and Ugly Quilting Tools

Thanks for sharing. I totally agree that everyone will have their own way of doing things, and their own preferences, but hearing about someone else's preferences and experiences is a great way to learn about available options.

When I was just starting to quilt a couple years ago, I thought I needed one of everything on the quilting notions aisle (though the $$$ prevented that!). It's nice to have a place to learn, for instance, that the frosted rulers would be better and that I didn't need to spend the money on binding clips (I also think that pinning is easier).

I'm going to try the sticky sandpaper dots. I've been using the film-ish stuff (I think it's called Omni-grip) but I get a lot of sliding still. I must use too much muscle too.

I had to laugh about June Taylor. I bought one of the cutting mats with the slits in it to make one-inch, two-inch, etc., strips. Seemed like a good idea - BUT, it's not stiff enough, and I ended up with a bunch of wobbly strips. Seemed like a bad design and I was muttering "stick to dancing!"

And if ANYBODY knows of a good marking pen/tool/method/etc, please share. I too have been disappointed with everything. I bought the "Pounce" at a quilt show, since the demo looked so slick, but all I got was a chalky mess when I tried it at home. Other pens and pencils have been no better. Anybody got a method they love?

Quote Originally Posted by 2wheelwoman
    I'm going to try the sticky sandpaper dots. I've been using the film-ish stuff (I think it's called Omni-grip) but I get a lot of sliding still. I must use too much muscle too.
    I read a tip on here somewhere about putting some hot glue on the ruler (let it cool first). I done it to my long ruler and it works great. Finally, a use for that hot glue gun I used once before I started quilting! :lol:

Oh my gosh. there was a whole page of posts which I didn't see. duh :oops:

I've heard about using a soap sliver, but never tried it. I'm going to give it a go. Does it brush off, or do you need to wash the quilt after?

I was just thinking about getting a rotary blade sharpener. Not now.

The bamboo stilletos work great. I got mine from a placemat my SIL was throwing away. It was made of strips of bamboo laced together, and I just cut the bamboo off, and cut them in half. If I happen to break one, no sweat.

zyx - sure glad I wasn't your secret pal that year!! hehehe But, yep, it's probably the June Taylor.

As for seam rippers, the scalpel one is awesome. And, when the blade dulls, you just buy the set of replacement blades (not that any of YOU would wear out a seam ripper, but I have).

I have one of those little metal hemming rulers, never even thought of using it to double check widths. I'm going to dig it out.

The good to me is ...

1. The sixth finger-It is a little metal in the fom of a Y that helps me hold the fabric closer to the presser foot.

2. The piece if wood that I use to push corners inside out.

3. The handle for my rulers.

4. My bobbin winder. What was I doing before that?

The bad:

1. The plastic thingy that DH got me to keep the quilt rolled while machine quilting.

2. A little magnetic thing that helps you follow the 1/4 inch area to the right of the foot- Thanks God I onlt paid $2.00 for it. To me is useless.

3. A notebook DS got me that has on one side a cutting mat 8 x 8 and on the other side ironing space, also 8 x 8. When I iron I burn the cutting area. I guess I am used to my 46 inches cutting mat.

More to come when I can think about it.

Maria

Many years ago I bought some of those plastic templates for drawing lines on the fabric when you are getting ready to hand quilt. I have about 4 of them. Never used one. Of course, I only started seriously hand quilting about 4 years ago. AND who knows, the price is probably higher now. I guess I could call it a bargain, IF I ever use them. :D

Quote Originally Posted by 2wheelwoman
    And if ANYBODY knows of a good marking pen/tool/method/etc, please share. I too have been disappointed with everything. I bought the "Pounce" at a quilt show, since the demo looked so slick, but all I got was a chalky mess when I tried it at home. Other pens and pencils have been no better. Anybody got a method they love?
    I bought a mechanical chalk pencil at our quilt show last May & have used it to draw the patterns for my stash dolls. Since those marks are on the inside, I can't say how easy it comes off, but it worked well for marking!
    I just saw somewhere - thequiltshow.com or on tv? - someone using one of the 'pounce' markers. It looked easy - and they pointed out that you aren't actually supposed to 'bounce' it, but wipe it across your stencil. Will that make a difference for you? And why in the heck did they name it POUNCE if it really doesn't work well that way?

too too many marking tools that don't work well. I've resorted to mechanical pencils (The fine lines can be covered by quilting)... Cheaper, and if the lead is soft enough, you can see a silverish (is that a word??) line on darker fabric, but I usually resort to a chalk pencil here.

A few years ago, before I started quilting I had gottn a few books. One I think is called "Quilting 101" and the other one is also a beginners book. Well the second one had a list of supplys that would be needed. A little over a year ago I took a list and went shopping. Until I had the supplies, not all b/c I thought I could get the rest later if needed, and a few yards of fabric, quarter inch foot with flange, I was already over $200.00.

For marking on dark fabrics I like the Clove pen, it washed off. And I just got a new one from Joann's, it is blue on one end and purple on the other. Purple wears off (it says within 48 hours - but it was actually a few hours for me) and blue rubs off with wet cloth. That was a little bit of a pain but at least I knew it would come off.

I do not have any grips for my rulers.

My mom gave me a pair of gloves that I am not sure where she got them, but they are yellow and have blue dots on them. They hole the ruler on my hand but it will slip if I push it on the fabric. But the NEAT part is, if the blade hits the gloves they won't cut it, I've tried it to make sure (with hands out of gloves of course). My mom gave these to me when I had an accident with the rotaty cutter and couldn't get it to stop bleeding for a little while. Had me a little worried. But a little more than a week later you couldn't tell I cut myself. I think these gloves are my favorite so far for tools.

The seam ripper is my least favorite...but only b/c I hate to have to take them apart.

Kyia

Love the flower headed pins, The sand paper dots for the bottom of the ruler and the revolving cutting mat works great.
    I find the soap sliver works better than most of the marking pencils you can buy.

Senior Member Dorothy of Kansas's Avatar
    Blog Entries
    Love: my magnetic pin picker upper that extends to about 18", my Olfa rotary cutter, revolving cutting mat, rulers with lips, short rulers (6-8") for cutting strips into squares, etc, 1/4" foot, walking foot, Kwick Klip, binding clips (cheaper at Wal-Mart), large spools of cotton thread by Coats and Clark (1200 yds), small straight pins with heads that don't melt!! Still looking for a good iron, that doesn't spit and sputter when I use steam!!! Anyone know of a good one? And don't say Rowenta!!! Ugh! Soap slivers for marking and the small rolling chalk pens. There are also clear dots to put on the bottom or rulers, that don't obscure the lines.

Hate: Mat cleaners, blade sharpeners, Fiskar rotary cutter-blades seemed to dull very quickly!! Can't think of anything else...right now! :-)

I'm just another gadget collector too! The one thing that comes to mind thats absolutely worthless is the blade sharpener for your rotary cutter. But I do love my magnetic pin grabber. SEWHAPPY

Blog Entries
    [quote]3incollege

I am pinning curves like crazy & you've just reminded me that I have the curve master foot as well. I couldn't seem to figure out what to do with it though. Does it work like a normal foot or is there something special you have to do?

Banned
    things I 'have' to have:

cutting mat (huge, huge one from Joanns)

rotary cutters - I keep going back to the cheap ones from years ago at Joanns - don't think they are available anymore - nowadays it's ones with all kinds of 'guards' built in - yuk

rubberized gloves from wallyworld gardening dept - absolutely essential and perfect for stippling using regular sewing machine

those cheap safety pins from wallyworld - the real thin ones - great for pinning a sandwich for stippling

things that were a waste of money:

those 'clips' that go around a quilt to keep it rolled up - a major joke

as said by others - lots of different marking things that don't work

The only marking pens that I like are the disappearing ink and the washout purple pen. The disappearing you must sew before the day is over or it will go away. I use the pounce but found if I rub a damp washcloth over the fabric first the chalk sticks better. Now I have discovered Fons and Porter glue stick holds well on the binding before stitching in the ditch.
    Also use the stitch in the ditch foot since it stays put in the ditch.

I'm with you on the "scalpel" seam ripper. I have thousands of them, though, because they are so flat and elusive. I lost one to DH -- he loves it to open CDs and DVDs!

I love my magnetic pin picker-upper, but so does Snooky the Evil Cat. It is her favorite toy. It's stuck to the metal leg on one of my sewing tables; and she bats at it for hours....

Quote Originally Posted by Maride
    The good to me is ...

1. The sixth finger-It is a little metal in the fom of a Y that helps me hold the fabric closer to the presser foot.

2. The piece if wood that I use to push corners inside out.
    Maria
    The sixth finger is also my favorite. I use it all the time to hold my material down and it will go a long way in close to needle. I use the flat side for that.
    A little pink ripper. It is old can't do without it. fits my hands and fingers perfectly.
    Several of my rulers.
    One I didn't like and gave to my sister was one of those suction cup handles for the rulers . Wouldn't stay on for me or her..
    My Plexi sewing extension table. I can not sew without it.
    My knee eze. it keeps my foot pedal from moving and is at a slant. Love it.
    Bill'sBonBon

Power Poster
    I was having trouble with NEW olfa blades - it seemed like they would not cut one or two threads - very annoying. Would skip every several inches.

I also found the blade sharpeners to be a dud. Couldn't tell any difference whatsoever on the blade after trying to use it.

What do you do with your dull blades?

Maybe we need to have a garage sale or tool swap!!!!
    :D
    K

I love my Martelli rotary cutter and Olf Rotating Mat

As for the bad, I can't name them b/c they are out of sight. lol

Tool gadget swap sounds like a great idea!!!
    Who wants to do it?????
    I have a few bloopers to include gadgets books and etc :D :shock: :oops: :roll: :wink:

Love my rotary cutting board, Rowenta travel iron, favorite rotary cutter (I panic if I can't find it..), and of course my own space where I can leave what I am working on and get back to it when I want to AND my computer for all the wonderful quilting web sites and free patterns. So glad so many responded with things they did not like, was thinking of buying a rotary sharpening tool--not now. OH - forgot, my favorite tool is my GrandMarke cutting table - great for cutting perfect squares each and every time.

My favorite tools are my rotary cutter, rulers and mat, my Havel seam ripper with the interchangeable surgical steel blades, my Tin Lizzie quilting machine, my Viking Sapphire, and of course, my fabric stash!!! :D

My least favorite tool is my ironing board-not big enough!

Blog Entries
    I agree with Rose Marie about the Quilt in a Day flying geese rulers. I have made four Christmas quilts with them. They are great. The best I have used.

pal
    My favorite tools are the red rubber "fingers", the Clover marking tool, the Dritz pen with all of the white and colored chalk, and a foam paint brush for erasing the chalk lines.

Page 2 of 4 FirstFirst 1 2 3 ... LastLast