Welcome to the Quilting Board!

Already a member? Login above
loginabove
OR
To post questions, help other quilters and reduce advertising (like the one on your left), join our quilting community. It's free!

Page 4 of 4 FirstFirst ... 3 4

Thread: Good, Bad, and Ugly Quilting Tools

For the people who are having trouble with their OLFA blades skipping, make sure you do not have two blades in the cutter. It is easy to do because they are so oily and tend to stick together. Be careful though, don't cut yourself. Hold the blade with your thumb and finger on opposite sides and push in oppossing directions.

My favorite quilting tool is a queen sized flannel sheet that I nailed to one wall of the sewing room. Large enough to lay out any quilt I've done yet, and cheap enough that if it ever gets too dirty, I can throw it away and start over!

Blog Entries
    I love the Simplicity Bias tape maker machine with 2 1/2" attachment. It works great. It can spit out binding for a king size quilt in no time.

The Simplicity 2 1/2" bias ruler takes all the frustration out of cutting bias. I'm glad I bought it.

The Go die cut machine is the best quilting tool I've bought other then my sewing machine.

I really like Inklingo. I use it more then I thought I would. It's great for hand piecing.

The one item that wasn't worth the money for me is the Alto Quilt 2 cutting system. It's great for cutting strips but I never get accurate squares or triangles using it.

Blog Entries
    I LOVE:
    Sidewinder....fast, fully wound bobbins. My sewing machine stops winding before the bobbin is full.
    4 Pincushions..one in each work area, so I don't have to move just one or two around.
    Bamboo Chopstick...turns things and helps push corners out.
    Lanyard...keeps my little thread cutting scissors around my neck so I can't lose them!
    Old kitchen canisters...they hold my scissors, marking implements, and cutters on my work table..everything in sight!
    12.5" square ruler...I use it a LOT...squaring up quilt corners is so easy with it.
    That little metal seam gauge...I use it to check my needle position to get scant 1/4" from edge of foot. I don't like the 1/4" foot with the metal guide.

I could do without:
    A bunch of specialty rulers we bought at a quilt show a year ago and have yet to use.
    A small travel iron that can only be used for 15 minutes at a time, or it will self-destruct...or something. It says don't use it for more than 15 minutes. ????

I haven't bought a whole bunch of extra gadgets due to money. I usually am pretty careful what I buy to be sure I will use it.

Super Member mary quite contrary's Avatar
    I really like my magnetic pin cushions.

hey, i've had the same problem with my olfa cutter skipping! i figured i was just a newbie who didn't know what i was doing.

I have lots of tools, just got two sizes of the june taylor for strips and although I must be the only one, I really liked them...except getting the blade of my ruler in to start the strip then I found them very accurate...course everyone is different. Love this thread.

I love sewing gadgets, every time something new comes out I have to give it a try.
    The one that got put on the sidelines permantley was the suction cup handle for the ruler.. did not make it past three cuts.And I really thought I was going to love it.
    The one I love is the clover bias tape maker... Just love those little, simple tools. Also the big magnet for pins , I have one for each of my different pin types.
    Not too big on the Fons and Porter tools... there cutting mat has no lines, there rulers cost more.. some of the special rulers are for only one size square.

Page 4 of 4 FirstFirst ... 3 4