Go Back  Quiltingboard Forums > Main
Good, Bad, and Ugly Quilting Tools >

Good, Bad, and Ugly Quilting Tools

Good, Bad, and Ugly Quilting Tools

Old 10-19-2008, 06:45 AM
Banned

Here's my favorite. I wrapped the rubberband around the hook so the thread would not slip off.
Attached Thumbnails attachment-37402.jpe  
Old 10-20-2008, 04:17 AM

and the Clover Seam Ripper, I find is the best!!!!
Old 10-20-2008, 04:19 AM

I just purchased the Dritz marking pen and was having a little diificulty with erasing the chalk, I will try the foam brush and thanks for that tip..the pen works great!!!!!!!!
Old 10-20-2008, 04:22 AM

Has anyone tried the Mat Smoother yet?? I bought one recently and have tried it and I think it works great..You have to apply a little pressure when you are using it but it will save you from buying another mat sooner than necessary
Old 01-06-2009, 08:27 AM

Originally Posted by sew_lulu
I love my Martelli rotary cutter and Olf Rotating Mat

As for the bad, I can't name them b/c they are out of sight. lol
I just got a Martelli Ergonomic cutter and two sided mat. I haven't had a chance to try them out yet, but the sales guy said that cutting with their cutter and mat will have the blades lasting at least 2 YEARS! He said he was on QVC cutting up soda cans with it, and it still cut fabric just fine afterwards.

The mat looks very cool because there is a yellow side and a purple side, to make seeing fabrics easier.

I have to practice, since he said you cut to the side of your body, instead of in front of you, which is how the blades get worn fast - from uneven pressure. He said not to use their cutter on any other mats because it would ruin the blades.

How do you like your Martelli cutter, now Lulu? Is the blade lasting that long?

I really scored on this, because the mat, ruler and cutter were free! I got it by chance through my work. When a girl who works for an associate company came to pick up drawings here, she saw my quilting stuff on the desk. She sent her husband, the travelling rep over with free stuff for me! He called later and said to come by the shop here in Pensacola soon and he would show me all their new gadgets and how to use them!
Old 01-06-2009, 08:39 AM

I love my Martelli rotary cutter, have had it for a long time now and use it on my olfa mat. Didn't know they recommended only their mat, works fine so far.
Old 01-06-2009, 11:37 AM

[I really scored on this, because the mat, ruler and cutter were free! I got it by chance through my work. When a girl who works for an associate company came to pick up drawings here, she saw my quilting stuff on the desk. She sent her husband, the travelling rep over with free stuff for me! He called later and said to come by the shop here in Pensacola soon and he would show me all their new gadgets and how to use them! [/quote]

You really did SCORED!!! I love my cutter. I used it with the Olfa mat and it works fine. I don't changed the blade that often, now that I think about it. I purchased the blades with them and I still have them.

If you don't like them, send them to me. LOL
Old 01-06-2009, 11:46 AM

I have one of those cutters as well. Love using it. Blades don't last 2 years, have to change them more often than that but much less often then I used to with my Fiskars cutters. I use it on one of those blue mats and it works just great. My cutter, however, squeaks when I use it. It is anoying and probably just needs a little wd40 or something but I don't want to drip grease on my fabs. I use olfa blades with it as when I bought the cutter, there were no special blades or mat, they only made the cutter at that time.
Old 01-06-2009, 12:54 PM

I enjoy reading the posts here, I like the humor used, as well as the tips and technics described. I use some "not originally quilt items":
I use office binder clips to hold things to my design wall- which is a 4x81/4'' wooden board. I also use them to hold the rolled quilt edges when hand quilting.
I use embroidery floss bobbins to hold my threaded needles for hand quilting. I put 10 to 12 in a gift card metal case, it holds them nicely, and use a pencil case to hold my thimble, scissors, bees wax, metal case, to carry when I go where I will be waiting. I hand quilt whenever I get time, so I travel with it. They might make special cases for this, but at what cost!!!!I spend next to nothing. I have even made some of the embroidery floss bobbins myself from an old fabric softener bottle. Then my case smells great.
Old 01-06-2009, 02:25 PM
Power Poster

Of course I love my rotary cutter and I love my side winder. Keeps me in bobbins so I don't have to unthread my machine. Little things keep me happy. :D :D :D