Go Back  Quiltingboard Forums > Main
The Good Old Days - Remembering Old Fabric Shops >

The Good Old Days - Remembering Old Fabric Shops

The Good Old Days - Remembering Old Fabric Shops

Old 06-26-2011, 06:56 PM

I remember those measurers at our JC Penneys when my Mother made my school clothes. The fabric was in the basement, but they had a balcony where the girls clothes & office was too. They had the tube thing to send to the office too. My how things change!
Old 06-26-2011, 06:59 PM

Oh I remember those meters from when I was a little girl. Had forgotten all about them. We bought our fabric from Penneys or a store that was right next door to it. Can't remember the name.. thanks for reminding me of those meters.

Kat
Old 06-26-2011, 07:02 PM

I remember!! ~~waving at you~~
My mom went to the local Jc Penneys and I remember not only the fabric meter, but the little upstairs floor with the mens section, and would watch with wonder at the receipt and the paperwork coming from upstairs to downstairs in the little contraption--it was fascinating!!
I also loved the fabric meter. I remember her "giving us" an inch or so before she would nick it to start measuring......
Old 06-26-2011, 07:42 PM

Originally Posted by Lyncat
The first fabric I picked out was for doll clothes. We had a store called S.A.S. in Phoenix that was filled with fabric that was overstock from factories, and was sold by the pound. You had to treasure hunt through large boxes of fabrics, all different sized pieces (small to many yards long). They had big barrels of buttons that were sold by the cupful, trim that was very inexpensive. The women who worked there had a European accent and would always take you to task if you were a child who wandered away from grandma. I loved going there. The best part is, the store is still there, so I have been shopping there for at least 45 years.
I was there in May. Love that store...
Old 06-26-2011, 07:45 PM

I remember those machines well. Back then we made practically all of our clothes, and bought lots of fabric. I remember seeing them at Beall's, J.B. White Company, J.C. Penney, Sears, and a great little shop in downtown Longview, Texas called "Famous Fabrics." I think they probably quit using them when the double knit fabrics became so popular because they couldn't be pulled through the machine. I do wonder why they didn't start using them again after the knit era was over.
Old 06-26-2011, 07:54 PM

the fabric store i got fabric the first time was called golden state fabic in pacific beach in san diego ca.it was for my school sewing class for a skirt. no one can believe i quilt and have sewn a few things cause i always got a d-- in sewing lol. shows what those teacher know huh? hahahaa.
Old 06-26-2011, 07:57 PM

CD in Oklahoma
I haven't seen one of those in years. I distinctly remember my mom buying fabric downstairs at Montgomery Wards, and I was fascinated by the machines.

Have you tried using it to see how accurate it is? I heard that they weren't always reliable. I would be curious to find out. :?:
Old 06-26-2011, 09:00 PM

My mother worked in the fabric dept of Murphy's in Cincinnati. She was always buying fabric for herself even though she rarely sewed. She just loved her fabric.
Old 06-26-2011, 09:12 PM

OMG! I remember those! That brings back memories of spending time watching the ladies in the fabric department of Hutzlers of Baltimore use those machines while my mom shopped for her fabrics. Thanks for posting a photo of that meter.
Old 06-26-2011, 09:28 PM

I do remember the meters, but WHERE, can't remember that part. I remember having to make a lined garment in the home ec class in high school. I remember the fabric vividly. I was a bright pink wool (almost neon) and I was making a dress with long sleeves and a dropped waist and WAS SUPPOSE TO wear it for the fashion show the home ec class was putting on for the school. NO WAY I'll look like a pink elephant.I do remember fabric in Wool Worths, and I think places like The Mart, Mammouth Mart, The Fair, Zayre's (from Mass). I also remember So Fro Fabrics, was like a JoAnns.