Go Back  Quiltingboard Forums > Main
The Good Old Days - Remembering Old Fabric Shops >

The Good Old Days - Remembering Old Fabric Shops

The Good Old Days - Remembering Old Fabric Shops

Old 06-25-2011, 09:57 AM

We had Cloth World and Hancocks when I was young. My aunt Helen worked at the Cloth world. I remember that it seemed like we were in the stores for hours (and maybe we were, sure doesn't seem like a long time to spend in a good fabric store now).
Old 06-25-2011, 10:21 AM

That's what I used when I worked at the Singer store in the Park City Mall in Lancaster, Pa, in 1976.
Old 06-25-2011, 10:25 AM

I remember those meters. I worked at a fabric store here for a while when the kids were small that had one. I don't remember the first time I bought fabric, but we went to fabric stores a LOT since my mother made all our clothes. There were several fabric stores where we live and mother would take us from store to store to find "just the right" fabrics.
D
Old 06-25-2011, 10:40 AM

I remember all of that. Woolworths was the first place I bought fabric, making dolls clothes when I was 10.
Old 06-25-2011, 10:46 AM

I bought fabric at Barnett Brothers in downtown Batesville when I was a kid. I remember the meter. I also got fabric at Ben Franklin's. We also made trips to Little Rock to purchase fabric for all our fall clothes.
Old 06-25-2011, 11:10 AM

The first place I bought fabric was JC Penney. Their fabric department was located in the basement. (The mezzanine was where the ladies' dept. was.) My mother didn't sew much, but I remember buying a length of yellow linen to make myself a dress when I was about 14. My mother chastised me for not buying green. It seemed that everything I owned at the time was green and I wanted something different. To this day I don't wear green!
Old 06-25-2011, 11:22 AM

My mother sewed about every day of her life and still does! She went to Murphy's 5&Dime store- I gazed into the big glass sections of CANDY!,while she fingered all the flat folds of fabric,holding them up and murmuring happily to herself. On family vacations down in VA we went to the Dan River outlet store. Back then, fabric bored me to tears, but, oh to see it now!!
Old 06-25-2011, 11:42 AM

Originally Posted by suzee
....It seemed that everything I owned at the time was green and I wanted something different. To this day I don't wear green!
Your Mom isn't/wasn't a Redhead, is/was she?

Speaking of green, my wife and I bought an old fabric shop that had been in operation by a nice lady for 30 years, and while going through the existing inventory, we both couldn’t help but notice how many things in the old inventory were GREEN! Fabrics, ribbon, trim, craft items, etc. We don’t know if she liked green, had customers that liked green, or that none of her customers liked green and she got stuck with it. LOL!

CD in Oklahoma
Old 06-25-2011, 11:45 AM

I can remember Woolworth's, and a place called House of Fabrics
Old 06-25-2011, 12:20 PM

I know those machines. A wal-mart had one in their stores for the fabric dept about 25 years ago. I forgot all about them. That was the last time I saw one in use.