Is this a good price?

Is this a good price?

Old 01-24-2016, 08:53 AM

Exclamation Is this a good price?

Is this a good price for:

Little Gracie II frame
Grace Sp. Control
Professional Series Carriage

This is on CL and is approx. 6 years old.

She was asking $675. for all but came down to $600.
I think she may even go lower.

I would be new to LA, so what else would be needed to make it work?

Old 01-24-2016, 09:06 AM
Power Poster

Do you have any experience with LAQ?? If you buy from a private party, there will be no classes or support from a local dealer.
Old 01-24-2016, 09:13 AM

*** ManiacQuiltr2
*** No experience, but willing to try by myself if the price is right.
Old 01-24-2016, 09:17 AM

Do you have a machine already or is this coming with a machine?
Old 01-24-2016, 09:46 AM
Power Poster

Brand new the little Gracie II frame sells for $700 plus shipping
http://www.icanhelpsew.com/Little_Gracie_2.html

I'm not sure what the Grace speed control is, unless it is this item:
http://www.icanhelpsew.com/gracie_regulator.html which is an additional $500. This product is compatible with only certain machines (listed on the link) so you would have to get that brand/model to get any use out of it.

So yes I would say this is a good deal if you get a machine that works with the speed controller. Then you need to decide on a sewing machine for the carriage. Which could easily be another thousand or so.

Edited to add, if this CL listing includes a sewing machine then it is a very good deal, but at that price I would be very surprised if the seller is including a machine.

Last edited by feline fanatic; 01-24-2016 at 09:52 AM.
Old 01-24-2016, 10:26 AM
Power Poster

Have you done any research on this kind of setup? I would save my money and wait for something better. Aside from having to purchase a machine, most quilters soon find this type of setup very limiting because there is so little space to quilt once the machine is rolled under the harp. In my opinion, the "professional" carriage is misleading because no professional longarmer would use this kind of frame and setup. It's too limiting. My advice would be to do a lot of research on used midarm setups (the QB is a good place to start) before deciding to buy, so you know exactly the limitations of what you are purchasing. I would save my money and look for a good midarm setup (complete with machine). Some people on the board have purchased the setup I have (Voyager 17 with Hinterberg frame) for $2,000 or so. This is a setup that someone can be happy with for many years.
Old 01-24-2016, 10:57 AM

Originally Posted by feline fanatic View Post
Brand new the little Gracie II frame sells for $700 plus shipping
http://www.icanhelpsew.com/Little_Gracie_2.html

I'm not sure what the Grace speed control is, unless it is this item:
http://www.icanhelpsew.com/gracie_regulator.html which is an additional $500. This product is compatible with only certain machines (listed on the link) so you would have to get that brand/model to get any use out of it.

So yes I would say this is a good deal if you get a machine that works with the speed controller. Then you need to decide on a sewing machine for the carriage. Which could easily be another thousand or so.

Edited to add, if this CL listing includes a sewing machine then it is a very good deal, but at that price I would be very surprised if the seller is including a machine.
I'm confused. I have a Little Gracie II, the queen sized wood one. This is the older model. They have newer ones now are very expensive and I believe have more metal.

Mine came with leg extensions and the carriage upgrade but was missing some nuts and bolts I had to buy and also I ordered new plastic inserts for the rails. I also had to make leader cloths. All things considered, I paid 100.00 for the frame,less than 20.00 for nuts and bolts and the new rails were 40.00 if I remember correctly. Did I get some kind of screamin' deal? I thought it was a good price but doe the older all wood Little Gracie II really go for that much?

Mine didn't have a speed control but when I entered gracie speed control into my browser I get something that is 60.00 to 70 dollars. http://www.graceframe.com/site/grace-speed-control
Old 01-24-2016, 11:03 AM
Power Poster

My friend has one bought used for $500. She replaced the wood rails with conduit pipes. She likes it a lot for all over quilting but dreads the loading of the quilt on it. The loading of the quilt is about like sewing binding on a quilt. Some like it some think it's the worse part.
Old 01-24-2016, 11:04 AM
Power Poster

Need to do some research to see if the speed control and carriage will work with your machine.
Old 01-25-2016, 10:44 AM

****** THANKS for all the expert advise.
****** I knew I could count on The Board members.
****** I think I will wait for a while and do some research.
****** YES, MrsSewNSew that is the speed control mentioned in the CL ad.