Go Back  Quiltingboard Forums > Main
Good Quilting Book - Need Advice >

Good Quilting Book - Need Advice

Good Quilting Book - Need Advice

Old 12-15-2014, 05:55 AM

There is just one book that I recommend to all of my pupils and won't be without it myself http://www.abebooks.com/servlet/Sear...n=Rotary+magic and at a $1! It's a no brainer
Old 12-15-2014, 07:34 AM

Make sure you take graph paper, you would be surprised how many things will remind you of quilts.
Old 12-15-2014, 07:36 AM

The Simple Joy of Quilting, an older publication; but it has everything you could ever want.
Old 12-15-2014, 08:48 AM

Any book by Eleanor Burns....I think "Still Stripping after all these years" has the most versatile of patterns and of course she teaches well, and her piecing tricks make piecing dead easy.
Old 12-15-2014, 10:40 AM

Originally Posted by tracylynn View Post
If you could only have one or two quilt books, what would they be?

I am looking for some recommendations for a sort of all-purpose quilting book. I just started to quilt a few months ago and have taken one beginner class and completed a couple of small lap quilt projects. My husband and I are moving to a farmhouse up in the hills in Ecuador at the end of the month and I won't have access to a quilting shop, so I have to take everything with me that I'll need to use.

I have an old Singer 15-91, so I can't do any fancy stitches, just straight stitches and I have really enjoyed piecing quilt tops but have only quilted with rows of straight stitches. I haven't learned how to FMQ yet and only bought one quilt pattern to take with me.
I still use mostly her methods except tossing the scraps over my shoulder, I can't get to the floor to pick them back up! Lol!
Thanks for your recommendations!
the best book I can recommend from personal experience is "Eleanor Burns Irish Chain Quilt in a day". She not only shows step by step directions, she also shows how to break a quilt project into manageable steps. It was my first book, and was so easy to follow, on my own, that it caused my current quiltaholism. I still use mostly her methods, except her binding. (I found an easier way.)
Old 12-15-2014, 12:54 PM

My choice is The Complete Guide to Quilting by Better Homes and Gardens. I recommend it to all my friends and students.
Old 12-15-2014, 12:58 PM

Originally Posted by susie-susie-susie View Post
My favorite go to book is "Quilters Complete Guide" by Fons and Porter. It seems to have everything you ever wanted to know even after 25 years.
Slue
The book only seems to be available secondhand these days. So far every seller on Amazon I have checked want around $35 for postage to Australia which is crazy.

Last edited by Dalronix; 12-15-2014 at 01:16 PM.
Old 12-15-2014, 01:27 PM

Originally Posted by Dalronix View Post
The book only seems to be available secondhand these days. So far every seller on Amazon I have checked want around $35 for postage to Australia which is crazy.
Found a copy at Betterworldbooks.com for $8.98 with free postage to Australia. Bargain.
Old 12-15-2014, 05:32 PM

Most of Eleanor Burns Books. Easy to follow.
Old 12-15-2014, 05:45 PM

Another vote here for Better Homes and Gardens Complete Guide to Quilting. Unlike the Fons and Porter book, in which you learn the techniques as you complete a particular project, the Better Homes Complete Guide covers specific techniques, not based on projects that you might not want to do. It's a great reference source I go to again and again, and it does have very nice photos rather than line drawings.