Go Back  Quiltingboard Forums > Main
good quilting machine? >

good quilting machine?

good quilting machine?

Old 10-06-2013, 11:45 AM

Default good quilting machine?

I am interested in trying my hand at quilting. I have a light machine - a Brother LX2500. Is this adequate for beginning quilting? Or do I need something a bit more heavy duty? I was also looking at a Brother CS6000i online as a possibility....Any advice appreciated
Old 10-06-2013, 11:51 AM

You don't need a new machine. The one you have is just fine. As long as it does a straight stitch, and possibly a zig-zag for applique down the line, you've got all you need. Quilting doesn't take anything fancy!
Old 10-06-2013, 11:54 AM

I'm not familiar with either of those machines. If you're looking to do piecing of the quilt tops themselves, just about any machine will work. If you want to then machine quilt your completed tops, you'll want to look at 'throat size/harp' - space between needle and inside edge of the machine. The larger that space, the more room you have for larger quilts. I would suggest starting out with your existing machine and see how it goes. If it starts giving you fits, and you decide quilting is something you love and want to continue, you can always upgrade later.
Old 10-06-2013, 12:12 PM

Any machine will do the job for you, but the newer and more elaborate machines are an added pleasure to work with. Just my thought. Maybe someone with experience in different machines will respond and give you more insight. Have fun with it, above all.
Old 10-06-2013, 12:20 PM
Power Poster

Work with the machine you have for a while to see if it will meet your needs. As you want to try new things, start making a list of the features you might like for a new machine.
Some of mine were...needle down for machine quilting, a good buttonhole stitch for machine appliqué, good size distance in the harp for machine quilting.
Old 10-06-2013, 01:34 PM
Power Poster

i have a cs6000i. it is a very light machine. i take it to quilting outside of the home.
Old 10-06-2013, 02:55 PM

I would start your quilting adventures with this machine. See if you really like quilting. Later if you like it then you can get anothertmachine. It can be expensive to start quilting what with the rulers, rotary cutter, mats that you really need. As you get into quilting you can decide on the features that you want.
Old 10-06-2013, 05:07 PM

If you like your machine you don't need to upgrade unless you want a larger harp for FMQ
Old 10-07-2013, 07:31 AM
Power Poster

The machine you have should be just fine.