Welcome to the Quilting Board!

Already a member? Login above
loginabove
OR
To post questions, help other quilters and reduce advertising (like the one on your left), join our quilting community. It's free!

Results 1 to 12 of 12

Thread: Good threads to use?

  1. #1

    Join Date
    Jan 2011
    Posts
    255
    I need to get some thread. I am pretty new to quilting and am not sure what name brands are good. I will be machine piecing quilts, and am going to attempt machine applique.

    Gutermann?
    Sulky?
    COats and Clark?

    Any comments are greatly appreciated. TIA

  2. #2
    Power Poster sewnsewer2's Avatar
    Join Date
    May 2008
    Location
    FL
    Posts
    16,682
    I like serger thread because it is thin and lays nicer when pressed.

  3. #3
    Super Member sewcrafty's Avatar
    Join Date
    Feb 2010
    Location
    New Hampshire
    Posts
    3,958
    For piecing, I usually just use C&C. They used to get a bad wrap, but I haven't had any problem with them. Save the $$$ for when embellishing with nicer threads (rayon or silk) or to buy fabric!

  4. #4
    Power Poster ckcowl's Avatar
    Join Date
    Feb 2009
    Location
    Northern Michigan
    Posts
    11,194
    Blog Entries
    1
    connecting threads.com and Atlanta thread company are both good sources for threads- i have found that my machine refuses to work well with some threads- even expensive ones- so when i find a thread that works i tend to stick with it- i've been buying all of my thread from Connecting threads for the past year and am very happy with them.

  5. #5
    Super Member Quilter7x's Avatar
    Join Date
    Dec 2009
    Location
    north east
    Posts
    8,531
    Blog Entries
    1
    Quote Originally Posted by sewnsewer2
    I like serger thread because it is thin and lays nicer when pressed.
    I heard that serger threads are thinner on purpose because when used in a serger, they create strength because you're using at least 3 threads together.

    I use mostly Gutermann threads and have some Coats and Clark thread also. Lots of people here love thread from ConnectingThreads.com. I hear Superior threads are good too, though I think they're pricey.

    There's a search function at the top of the page. If you search for the various kinds of threads, you can get a lot of opinions on them.

    Some machines are fussy and only like a few different brands of thread. That will be trial and error for you as each machine is different.

    Welcome to the wonderful world of quilting! :thumbup:

  6. #6
    Power Poster ckcowl's Avatar
    Join Date
    Feb 2009
    Location
    Northern Michigan
    Posts
    11,194
    Blog Entries
    1
    i have tried 4 or 5 different threads from C&C and can not use them in my machine (a viking) i can use them for hand work- but i don't spend the $$ on them anymore- different machines seem to prefer different threads so i recommend trying different ones, make note of the outcome and then stock up when the threads that work for you are on sale

    Quote Originally Posted by sewcrafty
    For piecing, I usually just use C&C. They used to get a bad wrap, but I haven't had any problem with them. Save the $$$ for when embellishing with nicer threads (rayon or silk) or to buy fabric!

  7. #7
    Super Member sidmona's Avatar
    Join Date
    Apr 2009
    Location
    Milton, Georgia
    Posts
    2,739
    I use So Fine by Superior Threads to piece. Then I use Mettler Silk Finish and Superior Threads bottom line to quilt. It really depends on what thread your machine likes.

  8. #8
    Super Member donnajean's Avatar
    Join Date
    Aug 2007
    Location
    Holland, PA
    Posts
    4,321
    I think the quality of thread - like everything else - may be changing. I used Coats Dual Duty for years on my Viking Rose & never had a problem. I'm still using thread that is more than 10 yrs. old, so I don't know how the newer threads are. It appears some machines are pickier than others.

  9. #9
    Super Member mimom's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jan 2011
    Location
    chesterfield, mi
    Posts
    1,620
    Quote Originally Posted by Quilter7x
    Quote Originally Posted by sewnsewer2
    I like serger thread because it is thin and lays nicer when pressed.
    I heard that serger threads are thinner on purpose because when used in a serger, they create strength because you're using at least 3 threads together.

    I use mostly Gutermann threads and have some Coats and Clark thread also. Lots of people here love thread from ConnectingThreads.com. I hear Superior threads are good too, though I think they're pricey.

    There's a search function at the top of the page. If you search for the various kinds of threads, you can get a lot of opinions on them.

    Some machines are fussy and only like a few different brands of thread. That will be trial and error for you as each machine is different.

    Welcome to the wonderful world of quilting! :thumbup:
    me too guttamans or coats and clark, which ever is on sale at Joann's. The only problems I have ever encountered with thread is once I bought embroidery thread and it would shread in my machine and was just a nightmare

  10. #10
    Super Member jrhboxers's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jul 2010
    Location
    Lexington Park, Maryland
    Posts
    1,143
    CONNECTING THREADS!!!! This is the best that I have found. I have five different machines and all love CT thread. In a pinch will use C&C or Gutterman. I seem to lean more towards Gutterman when I can't use CT.

  11. #11
    Super Member Candace's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jan 2010
    Location
    Outer Space
    Posts
    9,839
    Aurifil is by far the best thread I've ever used.

  12. #12
    Power Poster Prism99's Avatar
    Join Date
    Dec 2008
    Location
    Western Wisconsin
    Posts
    11,935
    Blog Entries
    1
    My favorite thread for piecing is Aurifil 50wt. Used to use Mettler silk finish 60wt but prefer the Aurifil because less lint, seams press flatter, and bobbin can hold considerably more of it.

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •  

SEO by vBSEO ©2011, Crawlability, Inc.