Go Back  Quiltingboard Forums > Main
Good threads to use? >

Good threads to use?

Good threads to use?

Old 04-04-2011, 04:40 AM

I need to get some thread. I am pretty new to quilting and am not sure what name brands are good. I will be machine piecing quilts, and am going to attempt machine applique.

Gutermann?
Sulky?
COats and Clark?

Any comments are greatly appreciated. TIA
Old 04-04-2011, 04:42 AM
Power Poster

I like serger thread because it is thin and lays nicer when pressed.
Old 04-04-2011, 04:44 AM

For piecing, I usually just use C&C. They used to get a bad wrap, but I haven't had any problem with them. Save the $$$ for when embellishing with nicer threads (rayon or silk) or to buy fabric!
Old 04-04-2011, 04:44 AM
Power Poster

connecting threads.com and Atlanta thread company are both good sources for threads- i have found that my machine refuses to work well with some threads- even expensive ones- so when i find a thread that works i tend to stick with it- i've been buying all of my thread from Connecting threads for the past year and am very happy with them.
Old 04-04-2011, 04:46 AM

Originally Posted by sewnsewer2
I heard that serger threads are thinner on purpose because when used in a serger, they create strength because you're using at least 3 threads together.

I use mostly Gutermann threads and have some Coats and Clark thread also. Lots of people here love thread from ConnectingThreads.com. I hear Superior threads are good too, though I think they're pricey.

There's a search function at the top of the page. If you search for the various kinds of threads, you can get a lot of opinions on them.

Some machines are fussy and only like a few different brands of thread. That will be trial and error for you as each machine is different.

Welcome to the wonderful world of quilting! :thumbup:
Old 04-04-2011, 04:47 AM
Power Poster

i have tried 4 or 5 different threads from C&C and can not use them in my machine (a viking) i can use them for hand work- but i don't spend the $$ on them anymore- different machines seem to prefer different threads so i recommend trying different ones, make note of the outcome and then stock up when the threads that work for you are on sale

Originally Posted by sewcrafty
For piecing, I usually just use C&C. They used to get a bad wrap, but I haven't had any problem with them. Save the $$$ for when embellishing with nicer threads (rayon or silk) or to buy fabric!
Old 04-04-2011, 04:47 AM

I use So Fine by Superior Threads to piece. Then I use Mettler Silk Finish and Superior Threads bottom line to quilt. It really depends on what thread your machine likes.
Old 04-04-2011, 04:51 AM

I think the quality of thread - like everything else - may be changing. I used Coats Dual Duty for years on my Viking Rose & never had a problem. I'm still using thread that is more than 10 yrs. old, so I don't know how the newer threads are. It appears some machines are pickier than others.
Old 04-04-2011, 04:52 AM

Originally Posted by Quilter7x
Originally Posted by sewnsewer2
I heard that serger threads are thinner on purpose because when used in a serger, they create strength because you're using at least 3 threads together.

I use mostly Gutermann threads and have some Coats and Clark thread also. Lots of people here love thread from ConnectingThreads.com. I hear Superior threads are good too, though I think they're pricey.

There's a search function at the top of the page. If you search for the various kinds of threads, you can get a lot of opinions on them.

Some machines are fussy and only like a few different brands of thread. That will be trial and error for you as each machine is different.

Welcome to the wonderful world of quilting! :thumbup:
me too guttamans or coats and clark, which ever is on sale at Joann's. The only problems I have ever encountered with thread is once I bought embroidery thread and it would shread in my machine and was just a nightmare
Old 04-04-2011, 05:06 AM

CONNECTING THREADS!!!! This is the best that I have found. I have five different machines and all love CT thread. In a pinch will use C&C or Gutterman. I seem to lean more towards Gutterman when I can't use CT.