Welcome to the Quilting Board!

Already a member? Login above
loginabove
OR
To post questions, help other quilters and reduce advertising (like the one on your left), join our quilting community. It's free!

Page 1 of 4 1 2 ... LastLast

Thread: Need web site for good cotton threads...

I went to a popular quilt store today. Got some goodies, but also some thread to go with...wondered why my bill was so high, looked at receipt. One spool of thread was over 11.00 :shock: I told the cashier I didn't want it...too much.
    You've probably been asked a hundred times, but please make it 101 and point me to good quality 100% cotton threads, that don't cost an arm and a leg...I will buy in bulk if I have to...within reason. thanks. :)

I like Gutermann or Sulky. You can get those at Hancock Fabrics or JoAnn's.

Threadart.com usually has some bargains. A lot depends on your machine's fussiness level for different thread. My old one would sew with anything. The one I run now has a decided preference for Gutterman.

I wouldn't invest a lot of money in any brand until I knew it would work for mine. I use those coupons for thread if it is not on sale.

I love Connecting Threads. Their thread is reasonable and nice quality.

Blog Entries
    I 2nd Connecting Threads :):)

Blog Entries
    I like Connecting Threads for piecing and Gutermann for quilting. I use the Hancocks coupons when I buy the Gutermann, and get 40% off. Connecting Threads is very inexpensive, great quality, but makes too much fuzz to quilt with for me.

I use connecting threads, they have great cotton, I have not tried their other threads :D

One spool of thread was over 11.00
    Goodness :!: How large was the spool. Could you even pick it up? :lol:

Connecting Threads Essentials are 100% cotton and very, very reasonable. Their service is excellent.

Blog Entries
    I use Essentials thread from Connecting Threads. I bought the neutral set and then ordered the big cones of the neutrals I use the most. It's great thread and my machine likes it.
    http://www.connectingthreads.com/quilting+thread.html

oh, I am indebted to all of you, thank you for all the info. :)
    I have a brand new janome660P so not too worried that it will be fussy. I took my own scraps of all kinds and weights to the store when I tried it out, didn't change thread or needle and it sewed like a charm on all of them.
    The spool in question was 1200 yards of variegated and although that might be a usual price, I had not paid that much and it was purple. Now I do love a good purple, (I must, lol, I was needing it), but thought I could do better than that. It would certainly take me a long time to use up all that. I like lots and lots of variety.
    Gonna go check out some of these sites. thanks again, I knew I could count on my friends here! :D

oops, that's a Janome6600P, would love to know if anyone else has one, so if I ever have questions or could learn cute tricks. (sound like a circus animal...LOL... :wink: )

You mentioned using a large spool on your machine. I bought a large spool of blue, just the color I needed. Don's have a spool holder, does anyone know where I can get one? Have a small Janome. Thanks, Nancy

Blog Entries
    In a pinch I have used a canning jar for a thread holder, it worked great.

Good idea, Bella will try that.

just got back from Connecting Threads, I don't have much time right now. will check others too, but wrote an order as this site will save me mucho bucks over what I have seen in stores, and more variety too. :D

about large spools, I only use large ones on my serger, but I have heard that using a jar works great. :D

Quote Originally Posted by quiltncrazy
    oops, that's a Janome6600P, would love to know if anyone else has one, so if I ever have questions or could learn cute tricks. (sound like a circus animal...LOL... :wink: )
    I just sent you a pm. I have a Janome 6600 too & it's great!

Well the jar worked great, just wound a bobbin with it. Thanks so much.
    You gals are all so smart and clever.

connecting threads. great price fast delivery. I am very safisfied with their fabric also.

Quote Originally Posted by sewmuch
    You mentioned using a large spool on your machine. I bought a large spool of blue, just the color I needed. Don's have a spool holder, does anyone know where I can get one? Have a small Janome. Thanks, Nancy
    Hi Nancy,
    Try Clotilde's, she had one with and iron base. You need it to be heavy to hold the spool so the thread feeds correctly. Now you know I'm of those crazy folks that do things myself. I built one, I used a heavy chunk of wood (I live in the woods, what else would I use?) Then I cut a coat hanger, bent the end to be the thread carrier and drilled a hole to GLUE (with super glue) the coat hanger into. It has never moved unless I moved it, but if you don't have heavy wood pieces you could drill out holes and add led weights from the craft store if you want to make your own.

Hugs,
    Sharon

PS: think I've used about all the threads from Connecting threads and I CAN recommend every one of them. They don't fray, they aren't to dusty, and they hold!!

Blog Entries
    DH can weld so he made me one that is so heavy I use it as a doorstop. The base is about 3 inches of solid metal. His version of heavy is a lot different then my version. :lol:

I swear by connecting threads! It seems to last longer than any other thread I've tried and its not as expensive.

Blog Entries
    I love Connecting Threads! I use their thread for all my piecing and do use it if I am machine quilting using my older Singer. My Bernina is a little persnickety about the lint when I try to machine quilt with it though...I do love the thread though...very reasonalby priced for really good thread!

I bought a cotton thread set from ThreadArt.com. I have used it in both my singer and my viking, no problems. At first I thought the Viking didn't like it but then I found out I needed to change the pressure foot tension when I put the walking foot on it. It worked fine after that.

Blog Entries
    Dear Quilt Crazy: I too have a Janome 6600P and am TOTALLY in love with it. It DOES NOT like Coats and Clark; neither does my Janome 350E Emb. machine.

I never pay full price for any of my thread. Please go to Google and type in sale sites for Gutterman. Next, Google Sulky, etc. This is how I get most of my thread; VERY inexpensive compared to quilt shoppes. I use rayon, some polyester and 100% cotton and varigated thread. Once you use varigated thread, you will be totally in love. I use it on my embroidery machine and you would not believe how beautiful fish, birds, etc. are. Their gills and wings just explode off of the fabric! I have a total of five Janome machines and love each and every one of them. Enjoy your machine/s. GiGi :D :D :D :D :D :D :D

Page 1 of 4 1 2 ... LastLast