Welcome to the Quilting Board!

Already a member? Login above
loginabove
OR
To post questions, help other quilters and reduce advertising (like the one on your left), join our quilting community. It's free!

Page 3 of 4 FirstFirst ... 2 3 4 LastLast

Thread: Need web site for good cotton threads...

Quote Originally Posted by machinequilter
    Connecting Threads has a spool holder that I use with my Janome.

http://www.connectingthreads.com/too...d_TD81905.html
    ty! machinequilter :D

wow, when I first posted, I figured this question would be so old, I'd be lucky to get one or two answers...thanks everybody. was trying to reply to each person individually, as I am thankful to all, but page turned and I had to keep going back so please forgive me. my computer is a bit slow at times...also downloading something right now.
    seems you gals know your threads. I have heard of all these brands, but had never tried many, because you use what's available to you. I am just now learning to overcome 'online anxiety' about buying. With info, I have a lot more confidence about products. :wink:
    P.S. nice to meet so many nice ppl with 6600 too. I agree, lots of good machines, good threads and everybody just has to find what works for them, but I'll take all the help I can get. :D

I love Connecting Threads Essential 100% Egyptian Cotton thread and their service is very fast.

I just wanted to let everyone know that Singer, when it comes to their embroidery machines, does NOT recommend Coats and Clark thread due to the lint problem. It causes alot of machines to be serviced and can cause the need to replace parts that are expensive. So my new Futura came with a warning.

However, normal sewing, may be OK on our machines. Something I have learned over time, is keep your machines free of lint between your projects. It is the build up that can cause problems..Those mini vacs work great!

I use Essentials (Cotton)f or quilting and Robison Anton & Maderia (polyester and rayon) for embroidery.
    Diana in Texas

Quote Originally Posted by Lady Diana
    I just wanted to let everyone know that Singer, when it comes to their embroidery machines, does NOT recommend Coats and Clark thread due to the lint problem. It causes alot of machines to be serviced and can cause the need to replace parts that are expensive. So my new Futura came with a warning.

However, normal sewing, may be OK on our machines. Something I have learned over time, is keep your machines free of lint between your projects. It is the build up that can cause problems..Those mini vacs work great!

I use Essentials (Cotton)f or quilting and Robison Anton & Maderia (polyester and rayon) for embroidery.
    Diana in Texas

I have a minivac and do use it between projects and totally agree with that. I too love essentials colors and use it for hand stitching, but I wonder if I didn't use it in my bobbin ( I don't remember if I did) if it would not have filled up my machine with lint. Also lower tention could make a difference. The Janome repairman said it was really messed up and asked if it had been dropped. It definately had not.

"I just wanted to let everyone know that Singer, when it comes to their embroidery machines, does NOT recommend Coats and Clark thread due to the lint problem. It causes alot of machines to be serviced and can cause the need to replace parts that are expensive."
    I'm certainly not here to "knock" anyone and their choice of thread, but I have a Gammill long arm quilting machine, and I was told the same thing by the service man who set mine up. But, I have to say, that I used C&C for years in my regular sewing machine (Pfaff) without any problems. I'm a good lint chaser tho, so maybe that's why? :lol:

Quote Originally Posted by crazyquilter
    "I just wanted to let everyone know that Singer, when it comes to their embroidery machines, does NOT recommend Coats and Clark thread due to the lint problem. It causes alot of machines to be serviced and can cause the need to replace parts that are expensive."
    I'm certainly not here to "knock" anyone and their choice of thread, but I have a Gammill long arm quilting machine, and I was told the same thing by the service man who set mine up. But, I have to say, that I used C&C for years in my regular sewing machine (Pfaff) without any problems. I'm a good lint chaser tho, so maybe that's why? :lol:
    I've heard the same thing. Even though I have to admit, I have used them on my Janome and had no problem. But, I'm a lint addict and if I see a speck-it's gone! Poof!LOL I know the big serger thread I use often is a hairy one but so far so good for the money. Just my 1 cent-Skeat

Tristan thread in Western Canada is clearing out of Aurifil. The price converts to less than $4. US for 1300 meter spool including shipping.

http://www.tristan.bc.ca/

Quote Originally Posted by Maribeth
    Tristan thread in Western Canada is clearing out of Aurifil. The price converts to less than $4. US for 1300 meter spool including shipping.

http://www.tristan.bc.ca/

now that's a good price. :D

Have you looked at Thread Art? I believe the web site is threadart.com . I just purchased the large spools of 40 / 3ply cotton thread for 3.75 a spool. It is on sale right now until the 28th at this price. It is usually 4.75 a spool. They also have some "deals" on Ebay that are cheaper than the store at times.
    I use in on a quilting machine.
    I too went to a quilting store and looked at the same spools of thread but they wanted $12.00 a spool. Karen

I have a 6600.....but I may not be alot of help to you LOL......it's a a new machine and I'm a new quilter sooooooooo....LOL

But I do LOVE it.

BArb

Blog Entries
    When I have a large spool of thread that won't fit the in machine, I put it in a coffee mug on the right side of my machine, thread it through a loop in binding clip clipped to the fold-open cover of the machine and then thread it through the machine.

Quote Originally Posted by JANW
    Quote Originally Posted by Lady Diana

I have a minivac and do use it between projects and totally agree with that. I too love essentials colors and use it for hand stitching, but I wonder if I didn't use it in my bobbin ( I don't remember if I did) if it would not have filled up my machine with lint. Also lower tention could make a difference. The Janome repairman said it was really messed up and asked if it had been dropped. It definately had not.[/color][/b]
    Diana in Texas
    [b]

thinking a mini vac would be a great investment. Know where i could get one. I am thinking maybe you don't mean a dust buster or similar, but something with a smaller attachment? :)
    [color=blue]

Quote Originally Posted by grannie karen
    Have you looked at Thread Art? I believe the web site is threadart.com . I just purchased the large spools of 40 / 3ply cotton thread for 3.75 a spool. It is on sale right now until the 28th at this price. It is usually 4.75 a spool. They also have some "deals" on Ebay that are cheaper than the store at times.
    I use in on a quilting machine.
    I too went to a quilting store and looked at the same spools of thread but they wanted $12.00 a spool. Karen
    gulp! :shock:
    thanks for the addy, that's a good price for my serger! :D

Quote Originally Posted by JoanneS
    When I have a large spool of thread that won't fit the in machine, I put it in a coffee mug on the right side of my machine, thread it through a loop in binding clip clipped to the fold-open cover of the machine and then thread it through the machine.
    great tip, cause I have a lot of stuff on my table already and if pushing a quilt thru there, a mug might be a better choice for me, thanks :D

hmmm, seems I goofed a little on some of these replies, but think you can still read them. It's very early and the cat had kittens. (I know, that is an old one, lol!) :D

Here's a good idea for a vacuum attachment for lint on the machine at: http://www.clotilde.com/list.html?cr...acuum&x=1&y=16 that is on my wish list down the road (anyone have this?)
    Love the coffee mug idea! Very smart! And, since I hadn't been so smart in figuring that out myself I picked up one of these at our sewing shop-and I paid more then this for it...but, love it! Go to: http://www.clotilde.com/list.html?cr...stand&x=3&y=11 That thing doesn't move! Have a friend that has a plastic version and it is always getting bumped around (she is a crazy and out of control sewer!LOL)So, the cast iron version works best for me too. Skeat

Quote Originally Posted by Skeat
    Here's a good idea for a vacuum attachment for lint on the machine at: http://www.clotilde.com/list.html?cr...acuum&x=1&y=16 that is on my wish list down the road (anyone have this?)
    Love the coffee mug idea! Very smart! And, since I hadn't been so smart in figuring that out myself I picked up one of these at our sewing shop-and I paid more then this for it...but, love it! Go to: http://www.clotilde.com/list.html?cr...stand&x=3&y=11 That thing doesn't move! Have a friend that has a plastic version and it is always getting bumped around (she is a crazy and out of control sewer!LOL)So, the cast iron version works best for me too. Skeat
    thanks for web site info, Skeat. I use clotilde and hadn't thought of looking there. Too much quilt info in my head. Just looked at it and gonna order today. I have a heavy cast iron base to a light/magnifying lense that broke, but it's still sitting here..."oh, I might think of a way to fix it, or use it...", well hubby welds, so I might get him to make me a thread holder! this thread has certainly produce a lot of great tips and ideas! :D

The vacuum attachments for your regular vacuum cleaner sold at Clotildes and other shops, I bought several years ago. I use it all the time, along with a sheepskin brush to agitate the dust bunnies. They do not like that, they like their little hideyholes(LOL). From time to time I also use a can of air to clean, but I think I heard somewhere that you can force some of those little dust bunnies into the crevises and foul up your machine. Any one else heard of this?

I have the mini vacuum attachments package for sewing machines (good for areas of my computer also); it works o.k., up to a point. Can't get to the tiniest spots, but those areas pretty much require a service call to the dealer anyway. It does suck up a lot of dust and is REALLY a boon when it comes to cleaning the lint from my serger. The mini attachments come with a plastic tube hose, which attaches to a vacuum cleaner hose; the type of vacuum cleaner is a factor, also. The one I have now, which is a Dyson, is a BIG pain in the butt for using ANY attachments, so I thought to use my hand-held Dirt Devil when using the mini vacuum, but it doesn't have enough power to do the job.

To sum up, if you have a good vacuum cleaner that easily adapts to using its various attachments, the set of mini vacuum attachments is useful. Before my old Hoover died, I used it with the mini set and it worked fine.

Yes, I have heard that you should never blow into your machine workings. Always suck the dust out. It makes sense to me.

For a cone holder see http://www.longcreekmills.com/product/stand.html (on sale, ususally $33.95 now $9.59). They also have quilting thread (50wt) on sale, usually $9.95 for $3.

Superior threads is having a "try me" special;" you choose the thread & quantity, they choose the color. http://www.superiorthreads.com/shop/...cials/products

(I just placed an order for the try-me's at Superior Threads; haven't ever used Long Creek Mills, so can't say anything about either as far as service.)

Connective Threads? hapytlk

Hi! I also have a Janome 6600. It is a great little machine, and I love it. It has so many different stitches I don't think I will ever use all of them, but you never know. I too use a wide mouth canning jar to hold my large spools of thread, works great. :-) I get my thread from Marathon Thread, I usually get them at the different quilt shows I go to but they do have a web site you can go to also. I like the Essentials thread form Connecting Threads also but I find it a wee bit linty. :cry:

How about the tension on your Janome?? Mine is a 350E, embroidery only, and I am not happy: I keep having to lower the upper tension... I have 2 friends who have had the same problem. I had to take the upper tension down to almost zero to get a good stitch quality. I am not happy with Janome at all. Would never buy another one of any way shape nor form. No really good support or answer. If you ask them a question they are in la-la land. Well, did you do this, or did you do that??? It also is supposed to be able to tell what color to use... not the case, that simply doesn't work. The last ignoramous salesman I spoke with asked me if I was threading it correctly! Hello!! Hello! I finally took half the machine apart on my own and tightened up the bobbin tension until it can't get any tighter, and now it gives me a decent stitch at a setting of about 3 to 4 on the upper tension. I have a Husqvarna Rose which has a limited field of 4x4, but you can't beat the stitches. Absolute quality every time. But who wants just a 4x4 field? I digitize, and it does come out well with the Janome. Does anyone else use their MB4 digitizing program? It's about time that everyone should be aware of the pitfalls of some of these so called wonderful machines...

Page 3 of 4 FirstFirst ... 2 3 4 LastLast