Go Back  Quiltingboard Forums > Main
Need web site for good cotton threads... >

Need web site for good cotton threads...

Need web site for good cotton threads...

Old 02-27-2009, 06:37 AM

Also forgot to mention that Atlanta thread has Coats and Clark 6000 yd cones for 13.55 each. (All colors.)
Old 02-27-2009, 06:39 AM

Originally Posted by LindaR
I have used Connecting threads and it is quit linty. I started using aurifil after taking a class from Nancy Chong and love it. Use nothing else now. www.pacificrim.com I use their applique thread also. good stuff
My machine broke down and it was full of lint from the Essential thread from connecting threads. Cost $80.00 to fix. I have the Janome 6600 P too
Old 02-27-2009, 06:58 AM
Power Poster

I'm sorry about your machine. :cry:
I have been using Essentials thread on my new machine from day one. It's a Brother PS that sews 1500 stitches a second which will shred low quality thread in a heartbeat. It was cleaned a few weeks ago and not much lint at all in it. My machine has the outside threading system.

The new inside threading on some machines the lint has no where to go so it stays inside the machine. The more guides the thread goes through on the outside the less lint build up. The inside threading machines need thread as lintless as possible thus more expensive. I don't know why that isn't stressed by the dealer before someone buys one. The best and only lent fee strong thread I know of is silk thread.
Old 02-27-2009, 07:53 AM

Try this site for threads. [email protected]. Don't drool to much, it is hazardous to your computer :D javascript:emoticon(':D');
javascript:emoticon(':D'); I stopped in there when I was in the area. It is a wonderful store and just as wonderfully staffed. I stocked up on thread, to feed my thread stash. A lot of quilters were there that day, so that says something about the thread.

Just 22 lights away was another little jem, www.maryjos.com. I think I left some drool on a few things. javascript:emoticon(':oops:');
javascript:emoticon(':oops:');
Old 02-27-2009, 08:10 AM

I have a Janome 6600 and love it! If you are looking to read or share information, there is a Yahoo group called Janome 6500 & 6600.

Otherwise you can converse with me...and we can work out things together. I'm not an expert by any means, but I own Janome, New Home and Elna machines..all made by the same company...and I love them all.
My favortie is the 6600 since it has the accufeed, start/stop and thread cutter.

This Christmas my mother bought me a Singer Futura 350 Embroidery machine. Huge leaning curve on this one....for the embroidering.
Happy sewing and quilting.
Diana
Old 02-27-2009, 08:19 AM

I'm a lover of Essential threads by Connecting threads too! 100% Egyptian long staple cotton, low lint and the price can't be beat. I love the sheen to the thread and the colors too.

I've used this thread successfully for piecing and quilting now for over 4 or 5 yrs.

My preference for the bobbin is Superior Bottom Line...a bit pricey looking but it lasts so long that it actually is a good price and great quality.

There are lots of great threads out there but having a fixed income makes me very frugal.

warm quilt hugs, sue
Old 02-27-2009, 08:31 AM

Connecting Threads has a spool holder that I use with my Janome.

http://www.connectingthreads.com/too...d_TD81905.html
Old 02-27-2009, 09:38 AM

Hi Diana

I'm a member of the Janome yahoo group but mostly a lurker. The first posting I did there a gal was really rude when I said I loved Connecting Threads, after that I just read to learn from other postings. I felt if she didn't agree she didn't need to respond, especially so vehemently. Mostly everyone is really supportive and knowledgeable and eager to share.

warm quilt hugs, sue
Old 02-27-2009, 09:58 AM

I agree with Sue!! Some can be rude when you state something did good for you. All machines, and people for that matter....sew and quilt differently and what works for one may not work for another. (too you can get a BAD spool from the maker!! And once can ruin your experience for that product even if it is a good one!!) I like to see what works for each and then see what I can learn and pick up from them! And see what works for me :D

I hand piece and hand quilt (although I am not what you would call good!!! I make just for my family and when they wear out I make another one!!!) I tie some quilts and send most out to ge quilted (not sure what she uses but they wear good!!) On mine that I piece and do quilt by hand I use the Hand Quilting Dual Duty Plus by Coats for both. A few small things that I have quilted on the machine (not many as I am just learning to use the machine to quilt!) I have used it too and the settings on my machine it works good with it. Have heard some say that it doesn't work good on the machines but mine seems to...at least what I have done so far!!
Old 02-27-2009, 10:03 AM

I use Longcreek Mills for my embroidery thread & they have some cotton I have tried. Due to shipping, several of my friends & I order together & split the cost. They carry prewound bobbins & stablizer if you are into embroidery.
SandyGail