Go Back  Quiltingboard Forums > Main
Quilting threads for the Sweet 16 HQ & is poly. as good as cotton to quilt with? >

Quilting threads for the Sweet 16 HQ & is poly. as good as cotton to quilt with?

Quilting threads for the Sweet 16 HQ & is poly. as good as cotton to quilt with?

Old 03-02-2019, 06:18 AM

Default Quilting threads for the Sweet 16 HQ & is poly. as good as cotton to quilt with?

Hi,
I posted a few days inquiring about essential threads. The responses were very informative and useful.

Glide poly. thread was also recommended and it got me thinking about which type of thread quilters actually use for their quilting!

Do you prefer the poly, cotton, or wrapped poly/cotton? The name of the particular brand you like and the best place to purchase it would also be helpful!

I really would like to decide and order within the next week as we will be returning to Canada soon.

Thanks for any suggestions you might have to share,
Linda
Old 03-02-2019, 07:49 AM

I prefer cotton myself I do use aurifil and also use superior threads I have purchased quite a few of their try me threads for quilting its a good way to try different threads
Old 03-02-2019, 08:00 AM

I prefer King Tut for quilting. It is a 40 weight, my machine never gives me trouble with it and it shows nicely on the quilt.
I use a pre-wound or a DecoBob thread in the bobbin. Just be sure to tension your bobbin first and then tension your top thread from there on a sample.

Watson
Old 03-02-2019, 09:35 AM

I use a wide variety of different threads depending on the effect I want. For micro-quilting I use Wonderfil's Invisifil 100wt. poly in top and bobbin most of the time, but I've also used Superior's 100 wt. silk (pricy but lovely) and Superior's 60 wt. Bottom Line which is poly.

When I am doing larger scale quilting I like Isacord 40 wt- also poly. I tend to use Superior's metallics and also their glitter and holographic thread for decorative accents- less breakage than other specialty threads.

I seldom use cotton for quilting since I don't like the amount of lint that even the high quality cottons produce. But if I want a particular effect or color and I don't have it in poly I am perfectly happy to use Superior's King Tut or aurifil 40 wt.

My Sweet Sixteen has done well with all the threads I've ever tried to use on it.

Rob
Old 03-02-2019, 09:39 AM

Thread for long/mid arm quilting is so expensive that I can't really afford to experiment too much, but I have found that my Sweet 16 does nicely with Glide and the prewound Magna-glide bobbins.
Old 03-02-2019, 09:52 AM

my HQ Fusion really likes Maxi-lock, it's a poly thread. So far I've not used pre-wound bobbins. I get sticker shock when I buy cotton thread suitable for the LA, though prefer to use that for piecing.
Old 03-02-2019, 10:00 AM
Power Poster

I quilt on an Innova longarm. I don't use any cotton thread anymore because of the lint. Usually I use an inexpensive trilobal poly thread from https://metroemb.com/store/index.php?route=common/home. They also sell Glide, but I haven't used it. I also use Bottom Line and MicroQuilter from Superior for thinner threads.
Old 03-02-2019, 10:22 AM
Power Poster

I responded to your other topic as well and definitely echo what Rob pointed out. I have never, and never will, limit myself to only a few kinds of thread let alone just stick with one fiber type. Like Rob, I choose my thread for the look I am going for and what suits the type of quilting as well as the quilt best. Like Rob, I rarely use cotton threads due to the lint issues but I won't hesitate to use a cotton if the color is perfect. Variegated threads I tend to only use in pantos or continuous designs where I won't be backtracking over previous quilting. It is not uncommon for me to use numerous thread types and colors in a single quilt. Here are links to pictures I have posted before and I usually talk about the thread in my posts. This one has 5 different types of threads used in it and each kind of thread used multiple colors (except the monofilament):
https://www.quiltingboard.com/pictures-f5/quan-yin-show-quilt-t297585.html

Thread can do so much more than simply hold your layers together. It can become a decorative element all on its own like in these quilts:
https://www.quiltingboard.com/pictures-f5/peony-fantasy-asian-panel-quilt-massively-quilted-t302441.html

https://www.quiltingboard.com/pictures-f5/agave-garden-big-reveal-t270708.html

Here is an example of using King Tut variegated with a panto:
https://www.quiltingboard.com/pictures-f5/retirement-quilt-coworker-t293700.html

And this one I used all invisifil when I was first experimenting with that thread (I used a sampler package that had 5 small spools in different colors but same tonal family)

https://www.quiltingboard.com/pictures-f5/batik-block-swap-quilt-t221823.html

My best advice to you is to not stock up on a bunch of thread until you know what style you like to quilt and what threads you like best to work with. Many a novice longarmer has made that mistake and often end up with cones and cones of threads they either don't like to use anymore or never truly loved in the first place, myself included. If you want to get threads while you are in the states, perhaps you should get a wide assortment. I would suggest getting the following assortments to get you started:
A monofiliment thread. Used for ditching. Superior Monopoly is a polyester monofiliment and Glide essence is a nylon. With a thread net (cones of this thread usually come with one) I have had great success with both.

A trilobal 40 wt polyester thread. Usually very shiny in appearance and a vast array of colors. A strong thread that is not subject to weakening over time like a cotton can. Brands I have used are Glide and Isacord. Both Superior and Wonderfil (which happens to be a Canadian company so you should be able to get easily in Canada) make one but I haven't tried either. Superior's brand is called Magnifico and Wonderfils is called Masterquilter.

Speaking of wonderfil, they make many oh so awesome and beautiful threads. I positively love their Invisifil and decobob. Both polyester. As Rob said, the Invisifil handles and looks like silk, very fine and also a great alternative to monofiliment for ditching as it sinks right down into the fabric so all you see is texture not thread. It is 100 wt. Decobob is very similar and it is an 80 wt.
Their specialty threads are also fabulous. I have had great luck with their metallics and I do use many of their heavier threads for hand work (couching, hand embroidery, decorative stitching and sashiko)

From Superior, I think you should get at least one cone of King Tut to see how you like it, this would be a good option for one of the smaller "try me" spools they offer. Of all the cottons, this is by far the nicest I have used (and I have used several brands in my machine, YLI, Essential cotton, Aurifil to name a few) and King Tut produces the least amount of lint and is really strong.

I also like some of superior's specialty threads like their metallic and Glitter, their holographic thread and Kimono their 100 wt silk thread. But I tend to use invisifil much more due to the cost of silk.

Don't limit yourself to just one type/fiber/brand/style of thread. I have to admit my thread addiction is equal to my fabric addiction.
[SUB][SUP]
[/SUP][/SUB]
Old 03-02-2019, 11:34 AM

Wow feline fanatic, how kind of you to take the time to write such an in depth response. It is so helpful and I will certainly be follow in your suggestions. I have done some free motion on my brother machine but just before we came south I purchased a sweet 16 but just set it up without a chance to use it. I have been working on quilt tops here so I will be able to try and quilt them when home. (after a lot of practice)!
Thanks for all the replies.
Linda
Old 03-02-2019, 02:35 PM
Power Poster

One other thing I want to mention, you don't have to use the same thread in the bobbin as you do in the top. Some people complain the trilobal poly is so slippery that it is hard for them to use in both bottom and top. I don't have issues but some have. I tend to use magnaglide prewound bobbins almost exclusively but my good friend who does show quilts and is an even bigger threadaholic than me, winds her own and uses decobob and invisifil in her bobbins because they are so fine the bobbin holds a lot of thread so less bobbin changes. I do not use Tut in the bobbin when I have it in the top mostly because it is such an expensive thread, I don't want to waste it in the bobbin when a less expensive alternative works just as well. Additionally because it is a heavy thread a bobbin doesn't go as far so more bobbin changes. But many do use tut in both bottom and top.

Experiment and have fun! Be patient and kind with yourself when it comes to tension adjustments. Many keep notes on what combos they like best and what tension settings work well with particular combinations. It won't take you very long to figure out which threads you like the best for what application you want (tight dense quilting as opposed to more open loose quilting).