Go Back  Quiltingboard Forums > Main
Need web site for good cotton threads... >

Need web site for good cotton threads...

Need web site for good cotton threads...

Old 02-27-2009, 10:15 AM

You wanted a spool holder for larger cones ---------------check out my new web store - It is so new, it goes live on March 1, 2009. www.houseof2morrows.com
We have invented the FATS 1 and the FATS 2 (Fancy All-Threads Stands) which will hold anything from a small Gutterman spool to a large cone, and will allow that thread to be held either horizontally or vertically!! The horizontal part is what hasn't been invented for larger spools yet. The thread guide lifts the thread vertically to a height of about 16" which should clear the top of most any type of home sewing machine. The FATS 1 holds a single spool horizontally and a single spool vertically, and can be used for both at the same time if you wish. The FATS 2 holds 2 horizontal and 2 vertical spools and they can all be used at the same time if you wish (and your needle can accommodate 4 threads). These holders are being launched for sale at the same time as our new web store, so please excuse the commercial, but I want to get the word out to as many people as possible, because we are really excited about the possibilities of these new thread holders. :lol:
Old 02-27-2009, 10:30 AM

I've been buying 1200-yd. spools of Coats & Clark at the local Joann's when it's on sale or I have a coupon. I've not had any problems with it yet. Once I bought a whole box (or maybe 2 boxes) of Signature 500-yd. spools there at half-price. I really liked it, but ran out of the color I was using and needed more. When I went back to Joann's to get more, they no longer carried Signature. I searched for that particular brand and color name on-line and found it at Red Rock Threads. I bought a 3000-yd. cone from them. I was really pleased with both Signature Thread and Red Rock Threads (who carry many, many brands of thread). I can't remember what I paid for the 3000-yd. cone nor what I paid for shipping and handling, but I just checked out their current prices and see that Signature cones, 500-yd. are $4.75; 3000-yd. are $11.95 and 6000-yd. cones are $20.95. I THINK there are very few color choices on 6000-yd. cones. On top of that, add shipping and handling ($???).

I have a Janome 1600P DBX set up on a grace frame with a practice quilt on it. Unfortunately I have not had much time to play with it, but when I did practice a bit with it, I used Coats & Clark thread and had no problem with it. I hope it continues to work o.k. for me ... I have a half-dozen spools of it and I hate to waste anything.
Old 02-27-2009, 10:35 AM

[b]The very best thread is from "Superior Threads" it's called Masterpiece.

It is 100% extra long staple egyptian cotton. They also carry a variety of threads. Once you use them you'll never go back to other threads on the market. Why spend a lot of $$ on your machine and use thread that has a lot of lint!
Old 02-27-2009, 11:27 AM
Power Poster

Originally Posted by crazyquilter
Try www.atlantathread.com
They have Egyptian cotton, 40/3, tex 45, yes, tex 45. Very strong, comes in 12 colors, 6000 yd cones for ~$12 each. I use it for most of my machine quilting. They also have Signature, size 50, 3000 yd cones in assorted colors for ~8.00. For regular sewing, I order Guterman from them also. $2.95 for 1100 yd tubes, over 600 colors available or on 5500 yd cones for ~13.00. They are very prompt with their shipping and usually send out the day you order if you get it in before noon. They are the only place I buy thread now...
Emma
wow, those are some good prices! thanks.

I have heard of aurafil also. bookmarked this thread to come back to all this great info.

JanW, Everybody that has told me they have the 6600 Janome say they love it. I haven't found anything about it that I don't like yet. Can't wait to have more time with it. Been gone for three days and trying to get laundry done today. Especially fabrics dried so I can finish cutting quilt out. This will be machines first project. :D
Old 02-27-2009, 11:31 AM
Power Poster

Originally Posted by mountain deb
Try this site for threads. [email protected]. Don't drool to much, it is hazardous to your computer :D javascript:emoticon(':D');
javascript:emoticon(':D'); I stopped in there when I was in the area. It is a wonderful store and just as wonderfully staffed. I stocked up on thread, to feed my thread stash. A lot of quilters were there that day, so that says something about the thread.

Just 22 lights away was another little jem, www.maryjos.com. I think I left some drool on a few things. javascript:emoticon(':oops:');
javascript:emoticon(':oops:');

:lol: :lol: :lol: thanks
Old 02-27-2009, 11:33 AM
Power Poster

crazyquilter wrote:
Also forgot to mention that Atlanta thread has Coats and Clark 6000 yd cones for 13.55 each. (All colors.)

wow, sure beats the heck outa 122 yards for 11.00 and some change. :wink:
Old 02-27-2009, 11:34 AM
Power Poster

oops :shock: , meant 1200 yards, for about 11.37 :lol:
Old 02-27-2009, 11:37 AM
Power Poster

Originally Posted by JANW
Originally Posted by LindaR
I have used Connecting threads and it is quit linty. I started using aurifil after taking a class from Nancy Chong and love it. Use nothing else now. www.pacificrim.com I use their applique thread also. good stuff
My machine broke down and it was full of lint from the Essential thread from connecting threads. Cost $80.00 to fix. I have the Janome 6600 P too

whoa, I sure hope I don't have any problems with the Essentials thread, cause I just bought 87.00 worth. But I do have more than one machine and I make clothes, toys and home dec stuff too, so it won't go to waste. I sure am glad to know that though. I won't mess around about my yearly tune-ups, (or sooner, depending on how much mileage I put on it :wink: )
Old 02-27-2009, 11:42 AM
Power Poster

Originally Posted by Lady Diana
I have a Janome 6600 and love it! If you are looking to read or share information, there is a Yahoo group called Janome 6500 & 6600.

Otherwise you can converse with me...and we can work out things together. I'm not an expert by any means, but I own Janome, New Home and Elna machines..all made by the same company...and I love them all.
My favortie is the 6600 since it has the accufeed, start/stop and thread cutter.

This Christmas my mother bought me a Singer Futura 350 Embroidery machine. Huge leaning curve on this one....for the embroidering.
Happy sewing and quilting.
Diana

hey, that's also great to know. I always have questions but i'll try to keep it to a dull hum, lol...I do read my instruction books..., but it's really nice to have a source in a friend. You must get lots of comments on your nick, your highness, lol. some have said that thread cutters cause their machines to have to be re-threaded. I haven't used that yet. have any problems with yours. probably not, or you would have mentioned it. wow, your mom sure is generous. She must be a sewer/quilter too. thanks, diana :D
Old 02-27-2009, 11:45 AM
Power Poster

Originally Posted by wraez
I'm a lover of Essential threads by Connecting threads too! 100% Egyptian long staple cotton, low lint and the price can't be beat. I love the sheen to the thread and the colors too.

I've used this thread successfully for piecing and quilting now for over 4 or 5 yrs.

My preference for the bobbin is Superior Bottom Line...a bit pricey looking but it lasts so long that it actually is a good price and great quality.

There are lots of great threads out there but having a fixed income makes me very frugal.

warm quilt hugs, sue
hadn't thought of using a different brand for bobbin. I try to be frugal also. Compared to year and a half ago, I would say I am doing quite well with funds, now. great to know of bargain products that work. hugs to you too, sue. thanks. :D