Welcome to the Quilting Board!

Already a member? Login above
loginabove
OR
To post questions, help other quilters and reduce advertising (like the one on your left), join our quilting community. It's free!

Thread: Good way to use up stash

Good way to use up stash

Participated in a jelly roll race today. There were 14 of us, we worked in pairs so made 7 quilt tops. All the fabric was donated from the personal stash of the quilt shop owner. She decided to get rid of her stash as she has way too much. This kind lady also donated the prizes - my team took 3rd place so we each got a Moda Layer Cake. The first place winner received a quilt kit, 2nd place winner received a bunch of fabric and a pattern. We had a lot of fun, and made some great quilts. All the batting and backing was donated by the quilt shop owner also. All the quilts will be donated to charity. All of the quilting has been donated, along with completing the binding.

I would imagine I could put together at least 10 jelly rolls (and the backing) without seriously depleting my stash - might have to think about getting a group of people together to make some charity quilts this way. Course I wouldn't have the great prizes but I bet I could come up with something. --maybe give away some of the patterns I know I will never use!

Any pictures? Sounds like it was fun.
    Laura

Sounds like this shop owner has a heart for others! So wonderful to hear this!

My newest Grandson, Caleb Austin, was born May 29th. I am now Grandma to 4 precious babies. I am so blessed!!!!

Quote Originally Posted by Nammie to 7 View Post
    Participated in a jelly roll race today. There were 14 of us, we worked in pairs so made 7 quilt tops. All the fabric was donated from the personal stash of the quilt shop owner. She decided to get rid of her stash as she has way too much. This kind lady also donated the prizes - my team took 3rd place so we each got a Moda Layer Cake. The first place winner received a quilt kit, 2nd place winner received a bunch of fabric and a pattern. We had a lot of fun, and made some great quilts. All the batting and backing was donated by the quilt shop owner also. All the quilts will be donated to charity. All of the quilting has been donated, along with completing the binding.

I would imagine I could put together at least 10 jelly rolls (and the backing) without seriously depleting my stash - might have to think about getting a group of people together to make some charity quilts this way. Course I wouldn't have the great prizes but I bet I could come up with something. --maybe give away some of the patterns I know I will never use!
    Glad you had a fun time. I bet your friends would need no prizes to help make charity quilt. Keep us posted on what you decide.

Blog Entries
    My stash might not equal some of the ones I have seen examples of on here, but I can't imagine how many 'races' I could make! I have already began cutting some of my scraps with my Go into 2 1/2" strips, so I have a start. It's just getting to the finish that I have trouble with, lately. lol

Blog Entries
    Chocolate is allways a great prize

Blog Entries
    Quote Originally Posted by nanacc View Post
    My stash might not equal some of the ones I have seen examples of on here, but I can't imagine how many 'races' I could make! I have already began cutting some of my scraps with my Go into 2 1/2" strips, so I have a start. It's just getting to the finish that I have trouble with, lately. lol
    I have been doing the same thing! I love that strip cutter...if I never use the Go for another thing that has paid for it..My strips used to be shaped more live a "V"!
    "You must do the thing you think you cannot do"....E. Roosevelt

Sharon
    Yorkville, IL

Sounds like a fun time by all. Nice of everyone to donate time, efforts, and quilty stuff for good causes!
    Be a blessing to others, as you may entertain angels unaware!

Sounds like a great time.

Sounds like you had a blast. What a generous offering by everyone involved!

Pictures are posted on Facebook under the store's name - Fabric City, Rapid City, SD.

Our Project Linus chapter just did the jelly roll quilts this past Saturday. Was a lot of fun...still need to sandwich and quilt mine. Easy enough...just might make some more out of my stash before next meeting. Going for a good cause!!!
    There is a very fine line between hobby and mental illness. - Dave Barry

How wonderful of her to organize that. Sounds like a lot of fun and if you do one, count me in! Of course, it may take me awhile to get there!

Power Poster
    What a generous quilt owner. I'm sure I could put together 10 plus jelly roll quilts and hardly make a dent. However, I'm trying to whittle down my "stash" aka small personal quilt store by not going bananas when I go to the fabric store. I'm making progress, but I seriously doubt I could use it all in my lifetime. Although I'm proud of myself for making a twin-size quilt for our DGD without buying any fabric, just using what I had on hand and it's beautiful, if I do say so myself. As soon as my shoulder gets healthy enough after right shoulder cuff repair surgery, I plan on getting it quilted as my DS and DDIL are anxious to see it on Zoe's bed.

Nammie: This sounds like a really great idea. I peeked at the pictures on Facebook....looks like everyone had a wonderful time.

What a great idea...always fun to sew with others.