Go Back  Quiltingboard Forums > Main
Got a kit. . . Where do you start? >

Got a kit. . . Where do you start?

Got a kit. . . Where do you start?

Old 11-07-2011, 03:18 PM

Originally Posted by Rosa View Post
Hello!

Okay, I bought this really cute kit from Fat Quarter Shop. It's the Buttons & Bloom and features Red Rooster fabrics.

I'm new to quilting. I've done some but never a bed sized quilt and never one this expensive.

It came in a box. It came in these nice plastic pouches and I got a book with instructions. Now what? I have looked at all the pretty fabrics and have decided maybe I have bitten off to much this soon? I'm just so afraid I'll do something (cut) and it be wrong! Do they give a little extra fabric just in case I mess up?

So, when you start a kit what are the steps you take from the minute it arrives and you have inspected it?
Perhaps you might want to wait a little bit to do this one and get some experience with something simpler. Lots of good advice given here. Good luck!
Old 11-07-2011, 03:46 PM

I had looked at this pattern too! It is really cute........I may leap into it also, but I have fabric for 2 other quilts sitting here! I am really trying not to have a huge backlog of ones I want to make. Besides that my dh says that the quilts I'm making are all in mud tones--his view of cream/brown/rust/navy/deep red's.

HOWEVER.....this is tempting!!
Old 11-08-2011, 04:16 AM

I believe in working on projects you like. You'll be more inclined to actually finish them. Jump in but do as most have suggested here and read carefully, sort carefully. Sticky notes and baggies are your faithful friends. Always cut your largest pieces first (and most instructions should tell you this). Label carefully. Check off each step as you complete it - be it cutting something or sewing something. You'll get interrupted and this is the easiest way to find where you left off.

Just about all of my 'hobbies' are self taught. When I was teaching myself to knit I found a pattern I liked, bought the yarn and sat down to work. It was then I noticed the instructions said 'for experienced knitters only'. After reading the pattern and some basic instructions a few more times I came to the conclusion the only reason you needed to be experienced was in order to read the instructions. Re-wrote things to make sense for me and away I went. Beautiful, hooded, pocketed 'fisherman' sweater later I was happy. So, make what you like. You'll be happy you did.
Old 11-08-2011, 05:13 AM

All kits don't come with extra fabric. My sister got a kit and the instructions said "DO NOT PRE-WASH". She discovered that there was just enough fabric to make the quilt. No extra for shrinkage when washed or error in cutting. I've also gotten kits and had extra fabric that would have allowed for errors in cutting.
Old 11-08-2011, 05:19 AM

I don't know how complex your instructions are or if you're just leary of making that first cut. I'm making a wall hanging from a kit and I consider it complex and a new technique....so here's what I'd suggest (and have been doing with this current kit)

READ the instructions....look at the fabric....READ the instructions...match up the fabric to where they go per the instructions....READ the instructions....make your own notes if necessary to help you understand the instructions you read....READ the instructions....and start when you're rested.

Good luck - post the pattern name and/or picture. Perhaps someone's made it already and can help if you have more questions.