Go Back  Quiltingboard Forums > Main
Got in a slump >

Got in a slump

Got in a slump

Old 01-18-2011, 06:10 AM

I also crochet. After the whirlwind of getting everything finished for Christmas, I'm not very motivated to quilt. So, I crochet for about a month, and look through my quilt magazines and patterns. I usually find one that I "just have to do right now".
Old 01-18-2011, 06:35 AM

Several times a day. Another on -line quilt site has a "Sew Daily Challenge". It is a challenge to yourself. A minimum of 15 mins. daily . It starts me up and I do more than the 15 minutes.
Old 01-18-2011, 06:44 AM

Well after reading all my replys its good to know Im not alone. Thank you everyone for making me feel better. I hope we all get out of the slump soon. Maybe when spring comes, that should do it, I hope. Sharon
Old 01-18-2011, 06:56 AM

Originally Posted by fidgety
almost every day now since xmas. I think my getup and go got up and left... :-(
Me too!
Old 01-18-2011, 07:07 AM

I've had it happen several times, and I'm not sure what the answer is. I think that maybe looking at magazines or online fabric sites could get your interest going, maybe going through your stash, I just don't know. I do know for certain that in my case it finally passed and I was sewing again every day. I do remember during one of my slumps that I was fearful the mood would never end and I'd not want to quilt again, but I was very wrong.
Old 01-18-2011, 07:22 AM

I have been in a slump since after xmas and all I have been doing is organizing and doing other things. Very tired of looking at piles of snow, shoveling and the cold. This past weekend my hubby and I went to my favorite quilting store and found some very nice fabric that I am excited to sew. Just getting out and away from home helped to get me back on track.
Old 01-18-2011, 07:35 AM

Good husband!! :thumbup:
Old 01-18-2011, 07:43 AM

I'm in there with the rest of you, except I haven't done any significant quilting for almost a YEAR! Got on a roll with my other crafty pursuits (rubberstamping - made all my Christmas cards - crocheting, scrapbooking) and then just didn't get back to my quilting :-( I just made a small quilt to put on the back of an antique chair that used to be my grandmother's and then a little bed-type thing for my dd's guinea pigs (she LOVES her piggies! LOL). Now I'm looking at a UFO that's been sitting in my quilting room that I "ought" to finish and don't wanna! So I'm playing with my EQ and working up something else. Think I'll start something new. :roll:
Old 01-18-2011, 07:45 AM

Most I know have these spells when they just cannot stitch anything, when that happens to me I get out my graph paper and pencil and sketch ideas. In a few weeks or a month the mood passes and I'm back stitching again.
Old 01-18-2011, 07:51 AM

Originally Posted by raptureready
I think it's because we all worked so hard to get things done before Christmas and were used to working under a LOT of pressure from every direction--the house, the sewing machine, the kitchen, the stores. Now the shopping, cooking, cleaning, sewing, etc., is all done and the pressure's gone. We've used ourselves up and need some time to re-fuel. The best thing I've found is to go on a retreat, take a class, go to a quilt show, or something like that to get yourself back in the mood. (I'm leaving for a weeks retreat early Friday morning).
Amen! we're just taking a well deserved break. I took my Pfaff 2170 to the dealer yesterday for her annual physical, so she will be ready to get back to work herself. In the meantime, I can get some patterns all cut and ready to go. Oh, yes, a little fabric shopping for spring "stuff" this week too will get me back in the swing of it.
:wink: