Go Back  Quiltingboard Forums > Main
Got some good news and now I need your help! >

Got some good news and now I need your help!

Got some good news and now I need your help!

Old 08-04-2013, 05:24 PM

Originally Posted by Rubesgirl View Post
My son-in-law, who has been in the US Navy for many years, was on the Chief Petty Officer selection list pulished yesterday. This is a terrific promotion for him and I believe he will put on CPO on September 16th! That is the good news. I would like to make a quilt for him to memorialize the occasion. I am having trouble finding a US Navy quilt pattern that is not too difficult, so I could get it done in time. Do any of you have any ideas or knowledge of where I could get a pattern? I am not good at designing my own and I am not particular whether is is a free pattern or whether I have to purchase it. I would like to make the quilt in the Navy blue and gold, with red and white accents. Any input from anyone would be appreciated!
My son is a Chief in the Navy and a few years back I made him a wall hanging using the navy signal flags. You could use the flags in the border to add message to him and see how long it takes him to realize there's a message in the quilt. Here is a picture of the one I made for my son.

If you want to go this route and need to know the letters for each flag and/or number let me know as I have them here on my computer somewhere.
Attached Thumbnails 2007-thom-1-.jpg  
Old 08-04-2013, 06:42 PM

Find a large Navy Panel--I know I've seen some--put borders around it, have it quilted and it will be wonderful. froggyintexas
Old 08-05-2013, 04:23 AM

Seasaw2mch, What a beautiful quilt! I really like your idea about the signal flags in the border. Thank you!