Go Back  Quiltingboard Forums > Main
Got some good news and now I need your help! >

Got some good news and now I need your help!

Got some good news and now I need your help!

Old 08-04-2013, 05:24 AM

He is very fortunate. They just annouced they are doing the promotion freeze again so normally chiefs are on that one. Have you tried the Walmarts on Military Hwy or Tidewater Dr. They have Navy fabric. You could even make him a quillow out of fleece of a rag quilt. Those wouldn't take too long. The Tidewater Dr is still building up its supply of fabric but the Military Hwy has always had it and building it larger all the time. Also the Fabric Hut on Little Cr Rd might have some as well. You can always make him a throw in the fleece for now and make a really nice one for Christmas. Congratulations, I know how hard this is, it took us yrs to make it.
Old 08-04-2013, 05:25 AM

You could also scan the Navy emblem or find it on the web...search for images of Navy emblem.

Adjust the size for placement into your quilt design and print on printer fabric using your inkjet printer.

I often print my labels on printer fabric like Printed Treasures.
Old 08-04-2013, 05:41 AM

http://www.jukeboxquilts.com/NavyQui...herquilts1.php

Here's a link to some maybe it will help?
Old 08-04-2013, 06:04 AM

Smile

WOW! I am completely overwhelmed by all of the wonderful replies I've received! I will certainly pass along your congratulations to him. We are so proud of him! I have pretty much decided to make the quilt designed by Kaelynagelfoot. I have looked at the pattern and although it looks complicated, the squares are made of patterns I have made before, so I'm confident I can get it done. I am going on a short vacation this week and will get started when I get back. I planned to go to Fabric Hut in Norfolk, as they have the best selection of fabrics and will order what they don't have, if necessary. I've seen many military fabrics there, so expect I will be able to find something complementary. I'd really like to keep it pretty simple, using mostly solids in the right colors.

As for labels, my printer ink bleeds when it gets wet, so I can't make my own labels. I know an exceptional embroiderer who makes gorgeous labels for me. I'd rather have her make them and know that they will be as lasting as the quilt.

When this is done (and I hope to have it completed and ready to give him on Sept. 16th), I will post a photo of it on the Board. Thanks again for all your support! It means a lot to me and my family.

PS~ My DH is a retired SCPO!

Last edited by Rubesgirl; 08-04-2013 at 06:07 AM.
Old 08-04-2013, 06:32 AM

Wendy, I'm sure that you son-in-law will appreciate your gift to him. Please thank him for serving.
Don't forget to post a picture of the quilt. God Bless.
Old 08-04-2013, 06:46 AM

This is great news. Job well done!

When my husband and I were in and he got CPO, there were 2 really symbolic things. Their anchor emblems and changing from blue to khaki uniforms. I think it would be great to do a large anchor pattern, such as Tula Pink's, and do it with a blue color way for the background and then a khaki color way for the anchor. It would be a little subtler then the printed emblems-would have been more my DH's choice.

http://www.quiltingismytherapy.com/2...-anchor-quilt/
Old 08-04-2013, 07:57 AM

If it was me, I would forgo the "Navy" fabric, theme, R W & B and make a quilt that goes with his home and commemorate the occasion in the label. Just a thought.
Old 08-04-2013, 08:00 AM

Originally Posted by Suze9395 View Post
This is great news. Job well done!

When my husband and I were in and he got CPO, there were 2 really symbolic things. Their anchor emblems and changing from blue to khaki uniforms. I think it would be great to do a large anchor pattern, such as Tula Pink's, and do it with a blue color way for the background and then a khaki color way for the anchor. It would be a little subtler then the printed emblems-would have been more my DH's choice.

http://www.quiltingismytherapy.com/2...-anchor-quilt/
Love this and can be done in very subtle prints.
Old 08-04-2013, 09:16 AM

Congratulations to your SIL I remember when my husb. made Chief. There is a huge step up in the level of respect. To say nothing about his pride for his achievement. Even officers respect chiefs.
I'm sure this grp. will find a perf. pattern for you.
Old 08-04-2013, 10:43 AM

I am most likely going with the Navy's blue and gold colors, along with the red and white. I would like to find a white with a small gold anchor print, but am not sure it exists. The other colors will probably be solids; Kona probably. I'll see what I can find.