Go Back  Quiltingboard Forums > Main
Grace SR2+ Frame Question >

Grace SR2+ Frame Question

Grace SR2+ Frame Question

Old 07-09-2019, 08:21 AM

Default Grace SR2+ Frame Question

Is there a way to make your own rails so this frame can be longer than crib but shorter than queen? In crib mode, there are only 33 inches available for quilting and I would like to have about 46 to 48 if I can. Any ideas? My DH is willing to give anything a go, but has no idea how to even try doing this.
Old 07-09-2019, 08:29 AM

Most brands have a 2-foot extension kit to make 10' into 12', but mostly everything interchanges to the smaller sizes too.

I know my friend got a 2-foot kit for her Grace frame -- it wasn't cheap! Although at first she thought it was the perfect size for her she went back up to 10'.
Old 07-10-2019, 04:19 AM

Do you already have the frame?? If you will never do more than lets say 60" is it possible for your husband or good friend to cut the frame down and secure or weld it back for you to the size you need. I have this frame and am fortunate to have a length of space to set up the queen frame, however I do a lot of Project Linus quilts and table runners etc. so I know what you are talking about.
Old 07-10-2019, 04:22 AM

Yes, I got a great price on the frame and purchased it. I want to keep my queen size ability (and am hoping to find an extension to take it to king), but was hoping it might be possible to take my crib metal pieces to a machine shop and have some made that were 6 feet. Does anyone know if that can be done?
Old 07-10-2019, 06:25 PM

Problem would be getting the rails aligned so your carriage glides smoothly. I often do that size of quilt but just use it at queen size. Taking it apart and changing the size is no easy task. If you have the room why not just leave it at queen? You do realize that Murphy's law is if you size to 48 then you will have something that is 52 and you will be in another quandary��
Old 07-11-2019, 03:46 AM

Your first question states that you wanted to go larger than crib but smaller than queen, and now you have stated you want to keep the queen and be able to go to king. Sorry, but I'm confused.I've been out looking at my Grace SR2 frame trying to come up with something. The only thing I can think of is to contact Grace Co. and see if it would be possible to purchase another section. At least then you would be sure that the parts would be of the same size and smoothness.
When I'm doing crib quilts I simply center the quilt in the middle of the frame and have enough room on both left and right sides to allow my machine to move freely without bumping up against the end rails. As I said, your two sided question leaves me confused.
Old 07-18-2019, 12:43 PM

Sorry for the confusion. I currently have it set up as crib size. I was hoping to be able to add something to perhaps take it to 60" wide (plenty of room for width of a baby/large lap quilt). I don't really want to set it up to queen size, but I don't want to cut those queen rails down either (that's what I meant). I was hoping there was also an extension I could purchase to go from queen to king as well, but perhaps not. Does that make more sense? Everything I read said that there was only 33" of quilting space when it was set up in crib size. Your answer seems to indicate there is more. If so, that would be good. Do you know how much quiltable space you actually have? Thanks so much for your patience.
Old 07-18-2019, 12:43 PM

Murphy hates me!!
Old 07-18-2019, 12:46 PM

I think I misunderstood what I read. I now see that you have it set up as queen, put your crib quilt on it centered lengthwise, and still have room to quilt all of it. That may be what I have to do. I was just hoping to keep it small what I was learning. Again, thanks for getting back to me. I am new and trying to learn.