Go Back  Quiltingboard Forums > Main
Juki 2010Q with Grace Sr2 and stitch regulator review >

Juki 2010Q with Grace Sr2 and stitch regulator review

Juki 2010Q with Grace Sr2 and stitch regulator review

Old 07-04-2017, 07:33 PM

Default Juki 2010Q with Grace Sr2 and stitch regulator review

I only started quilting in March (although I have sewed for years) and was hooked immediately. I love the entire process except for the actual quilting. I took a few free motion classes and just could not get the hang of moving the fabric and keeping the tension even. I also didn't like struggling with all that fabric on domestic machine. Because of this I sent the 3 quilts I made out to be quilted. I loved the result, but not the cost.

I only plan to make lap quilts for my family and friends as gifts and for charity. I did not want to spend the money on a long arm. I couldn't justify the cost. After many questions and research I ended up purchasing a Juki 2010Q with Grace Sure stitch on a Grace SR2 frame. I bought the machine and regulator used on ebay and purchased the frame new from Allbrands. I would have loved to purchase the Qnique machine to go with the frame but it was 3x the cost. I figured I will use the 2010Q for now and if I still enjoy quilting in the next year or two I will upgrade to a Qnique or other mid arm that will work on my frame and I can then use the 2010q as my second machine, which I wanted to buy anyway.

On to the review...

My husband is very handy and set up the frame and stitch regulator for me. It took him about 4 hours and he said it wasn't difficult. Together we watched the youtube video and learned to load the leaders and quilt. I had never worked on a long arm system, so this was very new to me. I did not find it difficult at all, actually much easier than I thought it would be. It took about 45 minutes to load a small test quilt. I am sure I will get faster with each quilt.

With my first try at quilting I was meandering and making hoops, waves and circles relatively easily. This is because of the stitch regulator, I don't need to worry about keeping even stitches. It was worth every penny. I was never able to do this on my regular machine.

I also bought a RNS stylus with groove board. I have only tried it once and so far it works well.

As expected, the quilt area is very small, maybe 4-6 inches, which I'm okay with. It's easy to roll the quilt to the next section because you float the top. I honestly don't mind it.

I am extremely happy with my set up. Without the frame I would not be able to quilt my own quilts. This set up might not work for everyone but it's great for my purposes, and I have the option to upgrade the machine down the road if I want to.

I wanted to right this review because many of the posts I read recommend going straight to mid arm or long arm and not to bother with a short arm system. But not everyone can afford that option. I really think this is a good option for those wanting to quilt their own quilts and are willing to accept the limitations of throat space. My set up cost me under 2K U.S., including the shelf for the frames, stitch regulator, stylus and groove boards.
Old 07-04-2017, 07:42 PM
Power Poster

thanks for your review. This set up sounds like it meets your needs very nicely. And that's all that counts. No one size fits all in the quilting world! Enjoy your new set up!!!
Old 07-04-2017, 07:53 PM

I have the same Juki machine but no frame. I would love to see a photo of your set up.
Old 07-04-2017, 08:49 PM

Originally Posted by Jeanne S View Post
I have the same Juki machine but no frame. I would love to see a photo of your set up.

I will take a photo and post it tomorrow.
Old 07-05-2017, 03:04 AM
Power Poster

thanks for the review. i used to have a juki with a hinterberg frame and i quilted queen and king sized quilts.... just have to be creative.
Old 07-05-2017, 08:08 AM

I have the same machine with the grace king frame. I do all sizes
Old 07-05-2017, 09:17 AM

Here are pictures of my set up...

Sorry, I don't know why the photos are loading sideways?
Attached Thumbnails img_1198.jpg   img_1197.jpg  
Old 07-05-2017, 09:44 AM

Nice set up, I have always wondered what that would look like. Looks great to me.