Welcome to the Quilting Board!

Already a member? Login above
loginabove
OR
To post questions, help other quilters and reduce advertising (like the one on your left), join our quilting community. It's free!

Thread: Grain of fabric

Grain of fabric

I am about to use up several 5" charm packs to form a border for a quilt. (I love the scrappy happy look!) I will cut them in half after seaming 2 squares together down the center. Since they will be narrow I want to make sure the grainline will be lengthwise. Is there a way to determine the grain before I stitch and cut? The print on some is directional, so no problem with those.

This is the first time for me to use precut fabrics as I have a disability now, and cannot stand up to do cutting anymore.
    Thanks for your input.
    Last edited by GrammieJan; 08-16-2013 at 09:26 PM.

The only way I know is to gently pull in each direction to test the stretch.

Blog Entries
    I agree with just a bit crazy. Pull one is tighter than the other I'm not sure which is weft and which warp.
    Finished is better than a UFO

Power Poster
    If you are using the stack to together and sew down the center twice and then cut the 2 units apart, there should be minimal stretching from the bias edges. I love using that method to do triangles and never worry about the grain, unless I am using a stripe fabric.

Banned
    Using that small pieces there need not be concern about grain line

You can test the grain by the stretch.

Quote Originally Posted by DOTTYMO View Post
    I agree with just a bit crazy. Pull one is tighter than the other I'm not sure which is weft and which warp.
    The tighter one is along the selvage. The stretchy one is the one from selvage to selvage.

Blog Entries
    I agree with Holice. Since you're using such small pieces, which way the grain is going isn't going to matter much.

Quote Originally Posted by Freddie View Post
    The tighter one is along the selvage. The stretchy one is the one from selvage to selvage.
    That is what I needed to know. Thank you!
    I had already done the gentle stretch both ways, and there is definitely a little stretch one way and none the other way. But could not remember which was which!
    I guess I have done garment sewing for so long that I can't keep my mind off of grain line.