Go Back  Quiltingboard Forums > Main
Granddaughter and Camo quilt >

Granddaughter and Camo quilt

Granddaughter and Camo quilt

Old 11-16-2012, 08:48 PM

Just awesome. I know a lot of deer hunters that would jump for joy for a quilt like this. Thanks for sharing.
Old 11-16-2012, 08:52 PM

I made one for a soldier after boot camp. Used warm wishes, but really played down the camo. Here's the thread:
http://www.quiltingboard.com/picture...d-t194024.html
Old 11-17-2012, 06:31 AM

Thanks for all the advise. She is 19, so who knows where this quilt will end up. LOL I know the boydriend will get it but so far we have no idea what it will look like. We will be off for more shopping today!!
Old 11-18-2012, 06:27 AM

Originally Posted by AZ Jane View Post
Surprise, surprise, surprise, my granddaughter has asked me to help her make a quilt. She has a new boyfriend who is in boot camp and wants to make him a camo quilt. LOL, love her dearly, super fun to be around but a real air head, am I allowed to say that about one of my own?

1. What is a camo quilt? A regular quilt made out of camo fabric? I am assuming it will be the digital camo worn by the Army. I don't know yet, if she is up to mixing the different types of camo.

2. What is the simplest pattern for said quilt? She does not sew at all if I remember right.

3. I am not the best teacher in the world (it's easier to do it myself?).

Any suggestions??
I think camo quilts given to soldiers were to be made in a special way and be a certain size. Our quilt club made a few of them a few years ago - did a demo at the quilt show, but I was there so little of the time, I don't remember what she was doing. Before you make one, be sure to get the complete specifications.
Old 11-18-2012, 11:47 AM

Surprise, surprise, surprise, my granddaughter has asked me to help her make a quilt. She has a new boyfriend who is in boot camp and wants to make him a camo quilt. LOL, love her dearly, super fun to be around but a real air head, am I allowed to say that about one of my own?

1. What is a camo quilt? A regular quilt made out of camo fabric? I am assuming it will be the digital camo worn by the Army. I don't know yet, if she is up to mixing the different types of camo.

2. What is the simplest pattern for said quilt? She does not sew at all if I remember right.

Any suggestions??
I would do a camo 9 patch with large blocks. Yes, you are allowed to call her that, but nobody else had better!!!! I have an airhead DGD, as well, so I understand completely where you're coming from!
Old 11-18-2012, 11:55 AM

The one I did for a customer was really simple...she sent me two sheets...one was camo (foresty trees, etc.), and one was a tan color. I quilted them with a bear, cabin & pine tree panto...came out really nice.

A good, really simple & forgiving pattern would be a rail fence.
marge

Any suggestions??
Old 11-18-2012, 01:05 PM

It this is being made to a man in middle east, the fleece might be kind of warm, while it is cold in winter, summers are very hot and fleece would get dirty easier with sand also. Cotton would brush off easier, and they do not have gret washing facilities most of time.
Old 11-18-2012, 06:05 PM

My granddaughter likes camo and I am making her a logcabin with camo.
Old 12-26-2012, 07:39 AM

Ta da!!!!!!
[attach=config]384084[/attach][attach=config]384085[/attach][attach=config]384086[/attach]
Attached Thumbnails process.jpg   finished.jpg   back.jpg  
Old 12-26-2012, 07:39 AM

He isn't deployed, still in Boot Camp.