Go Back  Quiltingboard Forums > Main
Granddaughter and Camo quilt >

Granddaughter and Camo quilt

Granddaughter and Camo quilt

Old 12-26-2012, 08:39 AM

Looks great! I like that you didn't try to "hide" the camo. Did you teach your granddaughter how to make it or did you do it yourself? I've never done an Irish Chain, but have always liked them, I'll have to try one soon. Has the boyfriend seen it yet?

Tate
Old 12-26-2012, 08:45 AM

Originally Posted by AZ Jane View Post
Surprise, surprise, surprise, my granddaughter has asked me to help her make a quilt. She has a new boyfriend who is in boot camp and wants to make him a camo quilt. LOL, love her dearly, super fun to be around but a real air head, am I allowed to say that about one of my own?

1. What is a camo quilt? A regular quilt made out of camo fabric? I am assuming it will be the digital camo worn by the Army. I don't know yet, if she is up to mixing the different types of camo.

2. What is the simplest pattern for said quilt? She does not sew at all if I remember right.

3. I am not the best teacher in the world (it's easier to do it myself?).

Any suggestions??
Just simple squares would probably satisfy her----------and the boyfriend. Of course, about anything she did ought to make him happy. Use the camo and maybe one other color from the fabric. Simply alternate the blocks. And keep them big--------so she can see results quickly.

You can usually find flannel camo, too, so she might use some camo for the pieced front and a second similar piece of flannel for the back. Or even fleece----which would eliminate the need for batting.
Old 12-26-2012, 08:47 AM

Good start on a great gift.
Old 12-26-2012, 08:50 AM

Gracious, you are quick! Great job
Old 12-27-2012, 08:01 AM

Originally Posted by tate_elliott View Post
Looks great! I like that you didn't try to "hide" the camo. Did you teach your granddaughter how to make it or did you do it yourself? I've never done an Irish Chain, but have always liked them, I'll have to try one soon. Has the boyfriend seen it yet?

Tate
She and her Grandpa picked out the fabric. The blue is really more gray to blend with the Army camo on the block. She made the quilt herself. The only part I did was the hand sewing on the binding, she did the rest herself! Actually Irish chain is pretty simple if you do it in stripes and then cut. Which I didn't do, I actually did all the cutting and cut squares (I was afraid of her cutting with a rotary cutter). Irish Chain is basically a nine patch plus a plain square.