Welcome to the Quilting Board!

Already a member? Login above
loginabove
OR
To post questions, help other quilters and reduce advertising (like the one on your left), join our quilting community. It's free!

Page 1 of 3 1 2 ... LastLast

Thread: Grandma's flower garden

I'm thinking about trying Grandma's flower garden. Am thinking about using my scraps and doing it all by hand. How do you think this would look using only scraps? Haven't made a scrap quilt before, I usually try to coordinate the colors which leaves me with alot of scraps. What do you think?

I think go for it.

Sounds great!!

go for it...are you going to try and keep all the "paths" light? i think it will look great

Before you commit to a full quilt, you need to like the process of working the Gardens by hand. Plan your Centers, (one color? or varied?);
    your Inner (first) Circle of 6 (solid? multicolor? random?); your Outer Circle of 12 (contrasting? solid or tone on tone? floral?). Experiment first.

Make up three or four gardens, and decide on your "Garden Path". At this point, either you like your work or you can drop it. I strongly advise making up a few Garden blocks at a time--NOT cutting thousands of hexagons before stitching.

Go for it! I'm working on one that's king size...and I'm getting there. This is a great "grab and go" project. I've worked on mine at the hospital waiting room, at work, traveling, and it's great for tv watching. I guess you could say that mine is scrappy - but every circle is the same. My MIL has one that's very old and it is entirely scrappy.. and it's beautiful. Like tealfalcon said, tie it together with the "path".

I think they would look lovely
    Attached Images Attached Images

My question is, Why Not! Sounds like fun.

Quote Originally Posted by yonnikka
    Before you commit to a full quilt, you need to like the process of working the Gardens by hand. Plan your Centers, (one color? or varied?);
    your Inner (first) Circle of 6 (solid? multicolor? random?); your Outer Circle of 12 (contrasting? solid or tone on tone? floral?). Experiment first.

Make up three or four gardens, and decide on your "Garden Path". At this point, either you like your work or you can drop it. I strongly advice making up a few Garden blocks at a time--NOT cutting thousands of hexagons before stitching.
    I think this is a great idea...I have a Grandmas Flower Garden that is my take along hand project...I am doing red, white, and blue, with yellow centers but I cut fabric as I need it...place the hexagons in a ziploc bag and go....I have a couple of gardens that had I worked them up in advance I would of swapped the rows of 12.

I do want to make a scrappy one someday :)

Sounds good.

love working with sracps. when it done you fill like to got something for nothing.

I love scrappy so I think it would look great! cant wait to see the finished product. I've been working on one for a year and its scrappy and very little progess, I hate hand work.

Blog Entries
    I'm making mine with scrappy flowers; the path is one color.

It will work well. Every flower should be different.

Blog Entries
    Google GFG and you will see many, many scrap GFG's.
    (write out GFG)

That's pretty much what I am doing but coordinating in each flower. I have 42 out of 44 full flowers done...It actually goes a lot faster than you think it will once you get going! It's addictive!

I bought some paper templates at the quilt expo. I'm told I don't have to cut hexagons, just strips, fold the fabric over the template, baste, sew together and pop out the template. Hope it is as simple as it sounds.

actually it is! I cut my own templates and pin on my 2 1/2 inch square (or so). I do a quick cut around with small scissors so I don't have too large a seam allowance/bulk and that they are fairly consistent. Then I whip stitch/baste and they are good to go!

Blog Entries
    I dont pin mine either, nor do I cut hexagons. Just use squares. Its so easy. :)

I'm doing a scrappy one too.. actually a few scrappies. :) Don't worry about it, just have fun.

yep, they're small. 3/8"
    Name:  Attachment-260769.jpe
Views: 77
Size:  36.4 KB

Blog Entries
    Hi, I think scrappy would be excellent... there are not rules saying it has to be the traditional. I am working on one myself, using medium to light florals and solids... I plan to do the path in white... I will take some pictures of what flowers I have made so far.. It is a fun project and one you can take along anywhere to work on.

Blog Entries
    Quote Originally Posted by Cagey
    I bought some paper templates at the quilt expo. I'm told I don't have to cut hexagons, just strips, fold the fabric over the template, baste, sew together and pop out the template. Hope it is as simple as it sounds.
    I just read your comment.... I would not pop any papers out until each row is surrounded by another or you may have trouble when you go to add the next row or connect the path. :)

Blog Entries
    Computer running slow ... repeated above! ;)

Blog Entries
    yep - I agree with roseofsharon - DON"T take out the template until the hexagon is surrounded on all sides. it's a pain in the tooshy if the template is out too early.

Also agree with keeping the papers in. I still have most of mine in even in the middle. After I get all of the flowers and sides ready to go, I want to starch them all to stiffen a bit before sewing them into the rows. And then removing all the papers.

Quote Originally Posted by tealfalcon
    go for it...are you going to try and keep all the "paths" light? i think it will look great
    Sounds great. What is the "path"?

Page 1 of 3 1 2 ... LastLast