Go Back  Quiltingboard Forums > Main
Grandmothers flower garden almost finished >

Grandmothers flower garden almost finished

Grandmothers flower garden almost finished

Old 04-21-2014, 08:35 PM

Just lovely!
Old 04-22-2014, 01:24 AM

My first thought is to hand-quilt it. I finished one for my aunt that she made and it was beautiful when finished.

But Tellabella - that is beautifully done. I like it because when you machine quilted it, you paid attention to the design of the quilt and the pattern you chose emphasized the pattern.
Old 04-22-2014, 02:03 AM

It's a masterpiece, so I would hand quilt
Old 04-22-2014, 02:08 AM

sooooo pretty!!! I am working on one now... have about a dozen 2 row "flowers" done... yup, thinking it is a LONG way until mine looks like this. I agree... it does seem to want hand quilted, although, I think, in the end, if you intend to wash and use and love it, machine quilting may hold up better. If it was mine, I think I would just machine quilt it, in a simple meander
Old 04-22-2014, 02:56 AM

You did an awesome job hand piecing this quilt. I think it would be great if you hand quilted it.
Old 04-22-2014, 03:51 AM

Your quilt top is beautiful. I bought a vintage quilt top like yours at a flea market and after washing and ironing it, decided to have it machine quilted. It turned out just beautiful. I do not hand quilt and I knew it would not be a heritage quilt. I have so enjoyed it. Your quilt will be beautiful however you choose to quilt it.
Old 04-22-2014, 03:59 AM

This is a beautiful quilt and think if it were mine I would hand quilt. You have put so much work in hand piecing that the hand quilting would finish it off by being completely done by hand.
Old 04-22-2014, 04:02 AM

Beautiful quilt. All of that hand piecing is spectacular. I understand hand quilting a quilt that has been machine pieced but I am not sure I can fathom a hand pieced quilt that is machine quilted. It just seems to say that the finish was a quick finish. It seems that a hand pieced GFG begs for the same tone of finish as the careful handwork. However, I know lots of norms are broken by those who choose to challenge them. I have seen hand applique work that is then machine quilted and it just seemed to not to be complementary. But, just like the very long posts above about the amount of quilting in a quilt, we all have personal biases that we harbor-but others are free to form different opinions. Just enjoy your quilt, whatever you choose to do for a finish.
Old 04-22-2014, 04:25 AM

Your quilt is absolutely gorgeous. The work involved so far is incredible and well done.
We have an old Grandmother's Garden that my grandmother made. She hand pieced and hand quilted it, as that was the way they did it then. I've seen it this quilt that way for so long, it's hard to imagine one that's machine quilted. Not that machine quilting is wrong (I do all mine with my domestic machine), but handquilting will give your quilt a vintage, antique look. So you'll have to decide what the final "look" should be. Either way, happy stitching!

Last edited by coopah; 04-22-2014 at 04:27 AM. Reason: added comment
Old 04-22-2014, 05:10 AM

Judy, You work is beautiful. I so like the simplicity of it. The alternating colored flowers and the the white flowers with the colored centers a just right. I guess I would vote for hand quilting.

I am playing with the idea of giving GFG a try and your quilt is an inspiration. I have made copies of the paper hexies. May I ask if you used EPP or folded hexies?