Go Back  Quiltingboard Forums > Main
Gravity quilt... How challenging is it? >

Gravity quilt... How challenging is it?

Gravity quilt... How challenging is it?

Old 03-13-2015, 07:45 PM
RST

To those of you who think it's complicated/intricate -- it's really not. The piecing is very straightforward, and each portion (diamond) is something you can easily assemble in a sitting /evening, especially if your pieces are pre-cut and you're not agonizing over fabric choices. The thing that's taking me time is getting my fabric and color balances where I want them, as I resolved to make it using only my stash and I'm incorporating some prints and fussy cutting.

If you buy the kit, or follow her fabric selections, the heavy work is pretty much done. The cutting is all strip-based, and the seams are very easy-- never a y-seam or a partial seam. Another thing to consider is that you don't have to make all the triangles/diamonds as shown. In some cases, I have fabrics in a certain colorway that I want to use that will be better showcased in a slightly different arrangement, and it's very easy to switch it up to accommodate that.

If you like the pattern but are concerned about completion, you could always just make one or two of the blocks with fabrics you have on hand and use them on a feature pillow -- just to see how challenging it is for you before you invest in several hundreds of dollars in fabric.
Old 03-14-2015, 03:21 AM

Welcome from Bonnie Scotland. Hope you enjoy QB.
Old 03-14-2015, 03:45 AM

I would try a pillow first if you are unsure of your ability. On the other hand our skills never grow if we do not hone them and try new things. If you love it, do it. You can always take a break if you become frustrated. Just take it slow
Old 03-14-2015, 04:31 AM

That quilt is very interesting. I think I am going to have to add it to my Bucket list.
Old 03-14-2015, 04:52 AM
Power Poster

Welcome to the board. beautiful quilt. Good luck with it.
Old 03-14-2015, 04:56 AM
Vat

If you try tie Gravity Quilt, be sure to starch all of your fabrics before you cut them out. I use and have had the best results with Sta-Flo starch (pick it up at Walmart), mix it half with water. Dampen your fabrics with water and then spray them with starch. Allow to dry several minutes then iron dry. Is great for piecing especially on bias. Good Luck ! ! !
Old 03-14-2015, 05:13 AM
shy

This quit will have points that have to be points..to make the pattern..that means ..matching seams after seam with exact sewing..also it is not like putting two pieces of straight cut material together..plus do u have a place to lay out your pieces after u cut them..so u can see the pattern as u sew..so u don't get that mix up..it is a beautiful quilt...if u want to do it..remember patients will get u there faster than hurrying..so u can see the end results..
Old 03-14-2015, 06:03 AM

It is a beautiful quilt. As many have said, it does have it's challenges. I, personalty, would go nuts trying to keep track with all those colors, Only you know how badly you want to make this quilt. I have found, If I want to make it badly enough, I can do anything!
Old 03-14-2015, 09:36 AM

Welcome from NE Ohio.
Old 03-14-2015, 10:28 AM

Welcome to the board from Houston, TX. Glad to have you here!