Go Back  Quiltingboard Forums > Main
A  great day for quilting... >

A great day for quilting...

A great day for quilting...

Old 01-11-2020, 02:06 PM

Priming the pump for a new quilt...
Attached Thumbnails d191062c-3a13-4055-b2e6-33a84ecc8b66.jpeg   77fa50c4-70e2-4517-bf38-ad6628b9799a.jpeg  
Old 01-11-2020, 02:10 PM

5 below when we got up and it won’t go above 15 today. No wind. I did drive to the grocery store 7 blocks away because Sunday is their Day of Rest (good for them) so it’s okay to have a little on hand just in case.
Old 01-11-2020, 02:24 PM

Originally Posted by tranum View Post
5 below when we got up and it won’t go above 15 today. No wind. I did drive to the grocery store 7 blocks away because Sunday is their Day of Rest (good for them) so it’s okay to have a little on hand just in case.

Please don't send this my way! So far this has been a very mild winter here in the Detroit Metro area. As much as I am not fond of deep snow I dislike the freezing cold even worse. A couple years ago we had a spell of 2 weeks were it did not get above zero if my memory is correct. It was awful.
I am just taking a break from this quilt top. I have 10 of 12 rows completed now. It is pretty exciting to be doing this today. One of 2 scrappy quilts that I am currently making. The second one is all cut out too.
Old 01-11-2020, 04:25 PM

Well, I am south of Dunster by about 90 miles and weather is cool but nothing to compare with the snow and ice areas. I need to get in my sewing room - I have spent the past week going thru bins to get rid of fabric I will never use. I so wish people that make donation quilts lived close to take it.

One nice thing that did happen while cleaning out a cabinet I found some kitchen towels I had bought a while back to embroider. (Actually I had forgotten they were there. One of those thing I put away thinking it was a better place.) And since I had forgotten about them, I ordered more from Amazon. So now I have about 20+ ready to embroider. :-)

Still a lot of bins to go - there is a big box to put the unwanted fabric and when full it will go to a donation center.

Juliasb I am so happy you are enjoying your Accuquilt. They are so fun. I have the Go and bought the DWR die and my friend wanted to make one, so we cut out the pieces for a king size quilt in about 2 hours - which included the ironing. I made a Christmas patchwork with 5 inch squares and cutting them out was so quick and easy for a full size quilt. And the same with my falling charms quilt - with 5 inch squares and the 2.5 inch strips. And the embroidery ...... I just love it! I could go on and on - but it sounds like you are already sold.
Old 01-11-2020, 04:41 PM
Power Poster

We had some sleet earlier and a dusting of snow. Getting colder tonight and warming up tomorrow.

Everyday is a perfect day for me to work on a quilt.
Old 01-11-2020, 04:49 PM

Great thread Juliasb. I agree, today is a great day to spend doing what so many of us enjoy. I cleaned the house this am, made corn chowder for supper and yeast rolls. I then worked at making more stenciled pillows, hopefully I can post a picture tomorrow. I have orders I needed to complete and so I went a head and made a few extras to have on hand.

No bad weather here today, the ice storm is going to be with us tomorrow. No need for me to go out, I just hope we don't loose power so I can sew.
Old 01-11-2020, 05:00 PM

sounds like many of us had the bad weather--in KC area we had 60+ weather on Thurs and then pouring rain, sleet and this morning snow. My daughter lives about 30 miles north of me and they had quite a bit of ice before the snow. So I pieced a quilt all day--and now am ripping! Argh! at least I did manage to catch about noon that our solar installation crew forgot to re-plug in the stock tank heater, so able to break ice and get it started again for the horse
Old 01-11-2020, 06:47 PM

Looks like no one from MN has given the MN weather report yet. I live in SW Minnesota. When I went to work this morning it was -15 degrees with the real feel of -24 degrees! Terribly cold. It is supposed to be warmer for a couple days and then back into the deep freeze for most of next week!! I came home form work this afternoon and continued with cleaning my quilting studio. A couple weeks ago, my son helped me move my two sewing stations and my cutting tables around to have a better workflow in the room. Ever since then, I have been trying to clean out and organize everything. It has been quite a project and I am not done yet!
Old 01-12-2020, 03:19 AM

We are supposed to get some of the ice storm today but since we are on the coast of Maine, we may not get it as bad as those who live inland. Unfortunately, my machine is in for a routine update and maintenance so no sewing for BH mystery. Instead, I am painting a guest bedroom in the old part of our late 1700’s home.

Old 01-12-2020, 03:41 AM

It sounds like this storm is hitting a wide swath through the country. Isn't it great to have such a good excuse to be forced inside? Not when the power goes out though! We had rain for about 24 hrs and then waited for the snow. There's a respectable amount out there this morning but it's the ice underneath that is a threat to being out. I spent yesterday using up flannel from a project for my son's birthday. The rest went into a smaller version for his 5 year old. Came out with enough of all yardage to just squeak by--maybe 1 inch?! Literally, cutting it close. They are rag quilts so not a lot of accuracy needed as the fluff disguises a lot of error! I think they will enjoy matching quilts--and especially cuddly during the rest of the winter months. Today I have a queen to get sandwiched. Not looking forward to that as this is part of the process I don't enjoy and then the size of this! But that's part of the process to get to the hand quilting which I will enjoy! Stay safe, everyone!