Go Back  Quiltingboard Forums > Main
Great grandmothers UFOs and stash >

Great grandmothers UFOs and stash

Great grandmothers UFOs and stash

Old 01-23-2011, 11:10 AM

I would finish that crib top for a couch throw for the little girl, and be sure to tell her the history of it. Tell her that it is a gift from her long ago grandmothers and that she is special because she is the one to get to use it. She can wrap up in a long distance "hug" from them each time she uses it.
You can pick out one of the colors in it and get some stronger matching colors for the bindings or to make it bigger if you want.
Old 01-23-2011, 11:14 AM
Power Poster

My advice is to put away the fabric and started quilts for a while. If you split them up now, you may regret it later. Give it a few years and then decide, your skill level will also be greater then, and finishing these will be a lot easier :D:D:D
Old 01-23-2011, 11:14 AM
Cyn

Originally Posted by sewwhat85
what a nice problem to have i think there is no wrong answer
I agree. I got the same kind of stash from my dearly departed mil. I didn't like the fabric she liked or the blocks she had started but I wanted to do something with them. I took the hand quilted blocks, machine pieced a few more and used quilt as you go method to finish a lap sized quilt with one. I still have at least a dozen more to figure out but I find it hard to work with fabric colors I don't like so those will just be done as best as possible. Too long- sorry
Old 01-23-2011, 11:24 AM

Go ahead and make it up and just display it till you have that special little girl to give it to. I would finish it and hang it
Old 01-23-2011, 11:37 AM

Of 7 granddaughters I am the only one who took up quilting, many, many years ago. When Gram moved on the the great quilting frame in the sky I was given her finished and unfinished tops as well as her stash of scrap fabrics. That was about 20 years ago and I'm glad I did not do anything with them until recently. There were more than 25 finished tops and blocks to complete about 6 more. Now that I've retired and am looking over my in-progress projects, I've taken all of these out and now really know what to do with them. I'm finishing them off, one at a time, for each of my brothers and sisters as a momento of Gram and all she stood for in our lives. That will take care of 7 of them. Gram always knotted her quilts so that is the way I'll finish them. Then I'll start on the tops for the next generation, our kids. There are enough tops to give one to each of them and some left over for their children. This is three generations that will be covered by quilts made by some very dear to me. God bless her loving hands!