Welcome to the Quilting Board!

Already a member? Login above
loginabove
OR
To post questions, help other quilters and reduce advertising (like the one on your left), join our quilting community. It's free!

Page 4 of 4 FirstFirst ... 3 4

Thread: Great tip for 1/4 seam.

The command strip provides a guide that goes way beyond what the foot will do. I am using both.

I had been using a magnetic strip that was OK. I set up the commando strips last night and I love it. With all the tips I have picked up off this list over the last year, my sewing has improved 100%.

Quote Originally Posted by BellaBoo View Post
    Bonnie Hunter blogged about this tip and I tried it and it works the best of all I've tried. Use the Command Strips as the sewing guide. No sticky on the machine and easy to take off. I have the 1/4 food with metal side guide but I like this much better. I can make the guide as long as I need, not just length of the foot. But I found an extra plus to this. If you can see the thread behind my needle the strip holds the thread out of my way after I cut it. I tend to get the thread in my way when I'm starting a new seam.

Attachment 362575
    both sides of the strip are stickey. How do you keep the top part from being stickey
    or should it be stickey? Hope this is not a real dumb question.

I bought some of the shorter replacement strips and got 20 in the package, I think. I am thinking of putting one of them on the feed dog cover plate and putting the other one butting up against it on the cover plate of my bobbin. That way I don't have to cut them. I can also but them up to each other end to end to make thee line longer on other machines. Or at least this is what I was thinking when I bought them. I was planning on leaving the side that sticks to the holder with the paper on it. Which side did you actually adhere to the machine, anyway?

Blog Entries
    I use the picture hanging refills that have the paper pull off on the back, one side is sticky one side is pebbled.
    Got fabric?

Thanks for the tip. I can't wait to try it.

Thanks for sharing BellaBoo.
    If you choose the behavior, you accept the consequences...Dr. Phil

thank you, thank you ,thank you !! i have spent lots of time and money trying to find the perfect 1/4 helper. The command strips work GREAT!!
    Bernina sewing machine ? me too!!

Thanks for passing on the tip BellaBoo.

Quote Originally Posted by lynnie View Post
    They vo up, hold your and dont leavee marks.
    made for walls to hang pictures.bing ommand stripz
    Proof after typing please! Looks like you are TUI (typing under the influence) LOL just kidding!

Wondering if anyone with a top loading bobbin uses this - am thinking NOT.
    She looks for wool and flax And works with her hands in delight.

Quote Originally Posted by IBQLTN View Post
    That was my thought too but I think I'll try cutting it apart where the cover meets the machine so that when I slide the cover off, it will take that part off with it. Worth a try?
    That's what I do with painters tape. Works very well.
    Cosy
    A Thing of Beauty is a Joy Forever
    http://www.cosyquilt.com

Lynnie, I can't understand this post! Try again.

I, too, use the command strips. Not just for what they are intended (hanging stuff on the wall, etc.) but for marking the seam allowances. Another thing the ones with the hook & loop sides is good for is laying your snippets of thread on them. They are kinda' like Velcro, the thread snippets stick to the loops. I have a hint for removing the strips from anything. This hint is on the package itself. When you want to remove one from the wall, grab the tab and pull straight down...slowly...do not pull the tab up and out. You could break the holder itself or break the tab off and then you're in a pickle trying to get off the wall. On the sewing machine, pull the tab straight, not up. Just about everything in my sewing room and elsewhere in my house is hung with 3M command strips.

Quote Originally Posted by jac View Post
    This strip would go right over my bobbin case so I would have to remove it every time I need a new bobbin.. Will the strip stick multiple times or would I have to replace the strip each time?
    I have a Horizon 7700 and it would go right over mine too. However all you have to do is CAREFULLY slice across it with an Exacto knife at the plastic Bobbin Window. Then you should be able to pop your bobbin window up and out and put it back without removing tape.

I have a 1/4" foot that seems to work ok. But I'm still working on being more consistent.

Blog Entries
    Another great use for these little strips! I love how quilters can be so resourceful and adapt items for use in quilting. So glad to have this board to read everyone's tips, I'm learning so much! Thanks, all!
    Creative clutter is better than idle neatness.

I will have to try this. I like the thread tip. That's always a problem for me. Thank you for sharing the great tip.

Page 4 of 4 FirstFirst ... 3 4