Go Back  Quiltingboard Forums > Main
Grimes County Fires >

Grimes County Fires

Grimes County Fires

Old 06-22-2011, 07:04 AM

With the fires so close to us here in Grimes County I wanted to get my most prized possessions loaded for departure, just in case. The fires were 5 to 10 miles from us but moving as fast as they were with the high winds you just never know. Into my van went my 2 sewing machines, serger and my only finished quilt and all my pieced tops. (Not many). Then I put all other important stuff by the door to be loaded if need be. I guess my prioratories are a little askew. Thank God we are getting a much needed rain today. Haven't heard if the fires are out but this rain is sure to be a major help.
Old 06-22-2011, 07:08 AM

I would do the same thing if I had too. I cant get over all the fires so early this year. Im sure you've heard a about our fires here in Arizona, they are all over the place...in the mountains, in the desert. Such devastation.

Stay safe, thoughts and prayers coming your way :)
Old 06-22-2011, 07:12 AM
Power Poster

If I were there I would pack up all my fabrics, quilts, machines, etc. and rent a storage place faraway, where they would be safe. Good luck and I hope the rain destroys the fires.
Old 06-22-2011, 07:19 AM

The rain is coming your way for the morning it would seem be safe. Praying for everyone affected by an out of control fire they seem to be everywhere this year.
Old 06-22-2011, 10:12 AM

Don't forget to pack up everything the IRS will want to see if they decide to do an audit on you. They don't care if your house burned with your records or not, it's prove what you claim or pay what they want. After that you need all your citizenship records and military records - everything the government in all it's wisdom ever gave you, and you depend on now or in the future. If you haven't retired you may be surprised at what you may need to show to get some government agency to do what they are supposed to do.

Sure hope no one reading this EVER has to actually leave their home because of fire or flood or storm.
Old 06-22-2011, 10:40 AM

We had a house fire. I suggest that any duplicate records/backup are kept off-site. Online photo places are nice. Picture inventory helps but may not show everything in the drawer or bookcase.
Old 06-22-2011, 03:50 PM

Originally Posted by navasota320
With the fires so close to us here in Grimes County.
My daughter lives off CR362 behind Camp Allen. Her side of the road was not in the evacuation area. However she opened her home to several families that still do not know if they have homes to return to. Her pasture is filled with other peoples horses. It is funny to see names and phone numbers written with Sharpies on the horses bodies. Some people just walked their livestock to a pasture that looked like it could handle the livestock and put them in. The people in Grimes county AND surrounding counties are really great. The rain today helped but has not put the fire out. Please pray for those in the danger zone. Wini in Houston
Old 06-22-2011, 03:58 PM

Here's hoping for more rain. Stay safe.
Old 06-22-2011, 04:37 PM

Originally Posted by winipb2
Originally Posted by navasota320
With the fires so close to us here in Grimes County.
My daughter lives off CR362 behind Camp Allen. Her side of the road was not in the evacuation area. However she opened her home to several families that still do not know if they have homes to return to. Her pasture is filled with other peoples horses. It is funny to see names and phone numbers written with Sharpies on the horses bodies. Some people just walked their livestock to a pasture that looked like it could handle the livestock and put them in. The people in Grimes county AND surrounding counties are really great. The rain today helped but has not put the fire out. Please pray for those in the danger zone. Wini in Houston
Thank goodness for folks like your daughter. Glad she is safe. You done good!
Old 06-22-2011, 04:47 PM

i would grab the same things

along with the dogs..the computer..because most of my pictures are on it!
oh
and the hubby