Go Back  Quiltingboard Forums > Main
10  Minute Block  - Question about seams >

10 Minute Block - Question about seams

10 Minute Block - Question about seams

Old 06-22-2011, 10:34 AM

Do you cut the seam on the back of the window? In my sample that I made up using a 6 inch block , there is a lot of bulk where the seams intersect. I did a search on here, but didn't find this particular issue addressed. On the first sample , I did not cut it out and when I pressed it the iron made a mark where the bulk was. Second one I cut out the bulk and like the look much better. So what do you do on your ten minute block? :lol:
Old 06-22-2011, 10:50 AM

No you don't normally cut it out. However I agree, there is alot of bulk due to the many fabrics. Anyone else have a better idea?

Kat
Old 06-22-2011, 11:13 AM

I'm so glad you asked this question, I also recently made a sample 10-minute block and couldn't figure out how to deal with the bulk in an appropriate way.
Old 06-22-2011, 11:17 AM

Originally Posted by GreatStarter
No you don't normally cut it out. However I agree, there is alot of bulk due to the many fabrics. Anyone else have a better idea?

Kat
I don't have a better idea but I did try to cut out the middle leaving a quarter inch allowance all around and it worked. My center block/diamond was sewn down before I cut though.
Old 06-22-2011, 11:27 AM

I stitched mine down
Old 06-22-2011, 12:24 PM

Originally Posted by amazon
Do you cut the seam on the back of the window? In my sample that I made up using a 6 inch block , there is a lot of bulk where the seams intersect. I did a search on here, but didn't find this particular issue addressed. On the first sample , I did not cut it out and when I pressed it the iron made a mark where the bulk was. Second one I cut out the bulk and like the look much better. So what do you do on your ten minute block? :lol:
Waited to long to edit, :lol: quoting myself :lol: Here are a few photos.
See the bump on the last photo.

cut window
[ATTACH=CONFIG]215330[/ATTACH]

front of cut out window
[ATTACH=CONFIG]215331[/ATTACH]

normal uncut back
[ATTACH=CONFIG]215332[/ATTACH]

normal front uncut
[ATTACH=CONFIG]215334[/ATTACH]
Attached Thumbnails attachment-215324.jpe   attachment-215325.jpe   attachment-215326.jpe   attachment-215328.jpe  
Old 06-22-2011, 12:26 PM
Banned

I'm making 10 minute blocks right now, and have made many (at least 2 other whole quilts) before. I couldn't figure out what you mean. I looked at the back of mine, and I don't have any abnormal bulk, so I'm not sure what is different for you.

EDIT: In the above photo it looks like the center seam is all twisted. I make sure that my seams are pressed and all going in the appropriate direction. Maybe that is the difference.
Old 06-22-2011, 12:36 PM

Originally Posted by gaigai
I'm making 10 minute blocks right now, and have made many (at least 2 other whole quilts) before. I couldn't figure out what you mean. I looked at the back of mine, and I don't have any abnormal bulk, so I'm not sure what is different for you.

EDIT: In the above photo it looks like the center seam is all twisted. I make sure that my seams are pressed and all going in the appropriate direction. Maybe that is the difference.
Thanks gaigai, I will try that, I just stitched up the sample really quick wasn't very precise on the seams. Love the block, love that it is so easy. I will take more time on the actual squares and press all of my seams open and try that. :thumbup:
Old 06-22-2011, 01:28 PM
Banned

Originally Posted by amazon
Thanks gaigai, I will try that, I just stitched up the sample really quick wasn't very precise on the seams. Love the block, love that it is so easy. I will take more time on the actual squares and press all of my seams open and try that. :thumbup:

I don't press my seams open on the 10 minute blocks, I press to the side. But I do press the seams open on OBW's, so this may help. Good luck.
Old 06-22-2011, 01:36 PM

I've experienced the same issue with the bulk behind the cathedral window, and had wondered if i could just cut out the back, too. I have been ironing my seams to the side, and maybe ironing them open would have been better - ? Am thinking I might just cut some of the fabric in the back, though; it seemed to work for you. Thanks for opening up this discussion. :)