Go Back  Quiltingboard Forums > Main
Group of kids made a quilt >

Group of kids made a quilt

Group of kids made a quilt

Old 12-25-2014, 09:42 AM

What a fun technique! Hope you try it, love to see what you come up with in your designs. I wonder how large her circle was to start (maybe she mentioned? )
Old 12-25-2014, 11:21 AM

Originally Posted by cindyb View Post
YES, YES , YES This is it. When I first saw it I thought it would be simple - not so sure it's easy peasy watching it again. But, I'm going to give it a shot next time G'kids come over.
I'm glad you brought this up. I had never seen that episode of Sewing with Nancy. I was thinking that you could probably use crayons on fabric to come up with the same effect. I used crayon in a classroom to do "quilt" blocks and it worked really well. The children would love it. Once the blocks are colored and treated by ironing, they could be applied to a background for a quilt or wall hanging. Good luck.
Old 12-25-2014, 04:20 PM

That is totally awesome.
Old 12-28-2014, 05:16 AM

Originally Posted by GailG View Post
I'm glad you brought this up. I had never seen that episode of Sewing with Nancy. I was thinking that you could probably use crayons on fabric to come up with the same effect. I used crayon in a classroom to do "quilt" blocks and it worked really well. The children would love it. Once the blocks are colored and treated by ironing, they could be applied to a background for a quilt or wall hanging. Good luck.
That is an awesome suggestion!!! Kids can handle crayons and THEY would have more time actually doing this. I really like this much better than ME cutting out the shapes and fusing them on. THANKS. Now to see if the school is interested in this type of fund raiser.
Old 12-28-2014, 02:40 PM

Originally Posted by cindyb View Post
That is an awesome suggestion!!! Kids can handle crayons and THEY would have more time actually doing this. I really like this much better than ME cutting out the shapes and fusing them on. THANKS. Now to see if the school is interested in this type of fund raiser.
My kindergarteners drew with fabric crayons on paper to create iron-on pictures. Use synthetic fabric (polyester) with real FABRIC crayons. Regular crayons will disappoint you. For a cohesive project, have a theme for the art. Don't let the children sign the pictures...they are reversed when ironed. If you want child signatures have little ones sign a separate piece of paper and you can fabric crayon the reverse; older children can do this themselves.

Having the children draw on paper removes the pressure of 'having to get it perfect' and it can be hard for some children to crayon directly on fabric. If there are any stray marks or 'oopsies' they can be cut from the paper before transfer.

(When my first son was five he made transfers this way while we were snowed in. All the fabric I had at the time was polyester double knit. The whites and pastel blocks took the transfers beautifully. The comforter looks as fresh now as 30+ years ago.)

PS....Fabric crayons would work with the folded name idea. You could work out some fantastic arrangements.

Last edited by Greenheron; 12-28-2014 at 02:43 PM.
Old 12-28-2014, 02:52 PM
Power Poster

This is so cool and imagine how the children felt seeing their artwork. ANd being a part of a fundraiser. Hope they made a lot of money. Saved it to my favorites.
Originally Posted by dakotamaid View Post
Old 01-02-2015, 07:54 AM

Instead of fabric that would be applicaid, how about fabric crayons. The Gkids could color on white/cream muslin type fabric; then you iron it and sew it onto a block.
Old 01-02-2015, 08:05 PM

Oh wow this looks complicated. The kids did great. The teachers are awesome.
Old 01-03-2015, 01:05 PM
Power Poster

If you have any questions, I am sure someone at Nancy's Notions website would be happy to assist you:

© Nancy's Notions; 333 Beichl Ave. • PO Box 683 • Beaver Dam, WI 53916-0683 • 800.833.0690.