Welcome to the Quilting Board!

Already a member? Login above
loginabove
OR
To post questions, help other quilters and reduce advertising (like the one on your left), join our quilting community. It's free!

Thread: Group of kids made a quilt

Blog Entries

Group of kids made a quilt

On PBS last week there was a demo where a lady had worked with a classroom of children (children were not shown but the final quilt was). She made a block by folding a square (I think) several times, had the children write or print their name on one section and it came out similar to a snowflake. That's my best description of what I remember. They then used it as a fundraiser for the school. I have my g'kids right now and we are not being very successful. And I thought it was easy. I'm thinking it was on Quilting Arts, but can not find it any where. Did anyone catch it and can you direct me to the show or a demo?

Power Poster
    For a pattern to be repeated in a snowflake, it must be along the fold edge. I can't imagine cutting out a fabric snowflake as it will be quite thick. I haven't seen the program so no help from me.

Blog Entries
    Quote Originally Posted by Tartan View Post
    For a pattern to be repeated in a snowflake, it must be along the fold edge. I can't imagine cutting out a fabric snowflake as it will be quite thick. I haven't seen the program so no help from me.
    Not so sure it was 'CUT OUT' - their names were forming a tile like look when opened.

Sounds like it may be similar to a painting technique I used to demonstrate when I sold trichem paints. The paper is folded once and the name is written in cursive with the bottom of the letters touching the fold. Then turn the folded paper over and retrace the letters on the other side (in reverse) using a light box or holding it to a window. When you open the paper, the name looks like a filigree design.
    QuiltingVagabond aka Kathy

It was on an episode of Sewing With Nancy.

Have a great day sewing and remember to "not sweat the small stuff"!!

Blog Entries
    YES, YES , YES This is it. When I first saw it I thought it would be simple - not so sure it's easy peasy watching it again. But, I'm going to give it a shot next time G'kids come over.

KLO
    Blog Entries
    Wow, that is so cool even for non-kids. So glad that you found and posted the link.

Interesting technique.

Sounds like a fun project.

What a fun technique! Hope you try it, love to see what you come up with in your designs. I wonder how large her circle was to start (maybe she mentioned? )

Quote Originally Posted by cindyb View Post
    YES, YES , YES This is it. When I first saw it I thought it would be simple - not so sure it's easy peasy watching it again. But, I'm going to give it a shot next time G'kids come over.
    I'm glad you brought this up. I had never seen that episode of Sewing with Nancy. I was thinking that you could probably use crayons on fabric to come up with the same effect. I used crayon in a classroom to do "quilt" blocks and it worked really well. The children would love it. Once the blocks are colored and treated by ironing, they could be applied to a background for a quilt or wall hanging. Good luck.
    One step at a time, always forward.

That is totally awesome.
    I don't know how to do that.....YET!
    Life Is About Using The Whole Box Of Crayons.

Blog Entries
    Quote Originally Posted by GailG View Post
    I'm glad you brought this up. I had never seen that episode of Sewing with Nancy. I was thinking that you could probably use crayons on fabric to come up with the same effect. I used crayon in a classroom to do "quilt" blocks and it worked really well. The children would love it. Once the blocks are colored and treated by ironing, they could be applied to a background for a quilt or wall hanging. Good luck.
    That is an awesome suggestion!!! Kids can handle crayons and THEY would have more time actually doing this. I really like this much better than ME cutting out the shapes and fusing them on. THANKS. Now to see if the school is interested in this type of fund raiser.

Quote Originally Posted by cindyb View Post
    That is an awesome suggestion!!! Kids can handle crayons and THEY would have more time actually doing this. I really like this much better than ME cutting out the shapes and fusing them on. THANKS. Now to see if the school is interested in this type of fund raiser.
    My kindergarteners drew with fabric crayons on paper to create iron-on pictures. Use synthetic fabric (polyester) with real FABRIC crayons. Regular crayons will disappoint you. For a cohesive project, have a theme for the art. Don't let the children sign the pictures...they are reversed when ironed. If you want child signatures have little ones sign a separate piece of paper and you can fabric crayon the reverse; older children can do this themselves.

Having the children draw on paper removes the pressure of 'having to get it perfect' and it can be hard for some children to crayon directly on fabric. If there are any stray marks or 'oopsies' they can be cut from the paper before transfer.

(When my first son was five he made transfers this way while we were snowed in. All the fabric I had at the time was polyester double knit. The whites and pastel blocks took the transfers beautifully. The comforter looks as fresh now as 30+ years ago.)

PS....Fabric crayons would work with the folded name idea. You could work out some fantastic arrangements.
    Last edited by Greenheron; 12-28-2014 at 02:43 PM.

Power Poster
    Blog Entries
    This is so cool and imagine how the children felt seeing their artwork. ANd being a part of a fundraiser. Hope they made a lot of money. Saved it to my favorites.
    Quote Originally Posted by dakotamaid View Post

Instead of fabric that would be applicaid, how about fabric crayons. The Gkids could color on white/cream muslin type fabric; then you iron it and sew it onto a block.
    Education makes a people easy to lead;difficult to govern; and impossible to enslave

Oh wow this looks complicated. The kids did great. The teachers are awesome.
    Suzanne
    Asking a seamstress to mend is like asking Picasso to paint your garage.

If you have any questions, I am sure someone at Nancy's Notions website would be happy to assist you:

Nancy's Notions; 333 Beichl Ave. PO Box 683 Beaver Dam, WI 53916-0683 800.833.0690.
    A Good Friend, like an old quilt, is both a Treasure and a Comfort