Go Back  Quiltingboard Forums > Main
grrrrrrrrrrrrrrrr >

grrrrrrrrrrrrrrrr

grrrrrrrrrrrrrrrr

Old 07-05-2011, 06:58 AM

Originally Posted by dd
I have often thought that when matching the lines on ruler to the lines on the cutting mat too. Sometimes it seems like they are off a tad.
How true! I got rid of a Fiskar cutting mat because the lines were off by quite a bit after the 12 inch mark. I measured the lines with different brands of quilting rulers and the mat was off every time. So the mat is gone.
Old 07-05-2011, 08:16 AM

Originally Posted by amma
I have found issues like this when I bounce between different brands of rulers. I pick one brand, and stick with it throughout the project now. It is not just this one particular ruler :wink: :D:D:D
That was my thought.
Old 07-05-2011, 08:37 AM

I use the double ruler method and most of the time it works out well

What is the double ruler method??
Old 07-05-2011, 11:45 AM

I'm probably being dense her, but when checking your rulers, how do you know which measuring devise is wrong and which is right? Do you just choose which you are going by and always use it as your base guide?
Old 07-05-2011, 03:48 PM

I actually used my husbands engineering ruler. I figured that was accurate. So now that I know my mat is correct that is what I use to measure everything else. I think the biggest thing is everything being consistent with the rulers you use. It helps if your cutting board is also accurate.

Marie
Old 07-05-2011, 04:25 PM

thanks for the heads up...
Old 07-05-2011, 04:43 PM

Hmmm... On a recent project I tried really hard to measure accurately because of the small size of the pieces. I ended up cutting them twice because some were off by about 1/8" and I couldn't get the blocks to come out right. I did use more than one ruler, so I'm off to check the accuracy of my rulers. Now, if I just knew which one was most accurate so I can compare!!!
Old 07-05-2011, 04:46 PM

What do your star ornaments look like? Can you post a picture?

Thanks for the "heads-up" on the rulers. :-)
Old 07-05-2011, 09:20 PM

Some of the women in our Guild have been finding these differences in rulers a lot lately. Double check if you can
Old 07-06-2011, 11:45 AM

I always check to see if the ruler measures correctly with the metal ruler I have. That metal ruler is my guide for making sure the plastic rulers are correct. Not all are, some of them have thicker lines & that will throw off the end measurments. Just one of things to keep an eye on in making your quilts

Originally Posted by GrannieAnnie
Last night I was cutting some 4" squares for the star ornaments I'm making. I cut my strips with a June Tailor 6" x24" ruler, then used the Olffia 6.5" square to cut the 4 inch squares. Every time the width of the long strip kept coming up 1/8 or so short of 4". Finally, I got smart and checked the June Tailor against the other, and sure enough, the June Tailor is a hair off 4" when using the 4" line.

I can overcome the problem The squares don't have to match each other, I just need to be able to fold them into near perfect triangles. Got some trimming to do.

GRRRRRRRRRRRRRRRRR