Go Back  Quiltingboard Forums > Main
grrrrrrrrrrrrrrrr >

grrrrrrrrrrrrrrrr

grrrrrrrrrrrrrrrr

Old 07-05-2011, 04:49 AM

I also read that you should use the same brand of rulers for a project.
Old 07-05-2011, 05:25 AM

sorry for your extra work!! i was taught to use the same ruler for all measureing so i only use the omni's for cutting....never had a problem...
Old 07-05-2011, 05:29 AM
Power Poster

This is why they say to use the rulers by the same manufacturers. This should not happen but it does. It is frustrating
Old 07-05-2011, 05:45 AM

Hence the importance of using the same ruler throughout a project! I've had similar issues. Sometimes it's impossible if we've bought different brands over the years and you have a large block to square up.
Old 07-05-2011, 06:06 AM

When I first started quilting, I used two different brands of rulers (didn't know there was a difference). No matter how hard I tried my corners and seams would not match exactly and I was getting very frustrated. Then I was told to use only one brand of ruler. Started doing that...presto!!!!! my corners and seams started matching. It's amazing how that fraction of a quarter inch can make a difference. I am using the June Taylor rulers.
Old 07-05-2011, 06:35 AM

So THAT'S why my fabric pieces are sometimes a little bit off! Thanks for the post & advice.
Old 07-05-2011, 06:38 AM

I found I have the same problem with the June Tailor slotted rule so I seldom use it. Really disappointing as I thought I'd love it.
Old 07-05-2011, 06:39 AM
Power Poster

I feel your pain and frustration. I've never actually measured my rulers against one another, but one quilting teacher years ago told me to always use the same ruler when cutting, as there could be a slight difference. I guess that's like making sure that when you are quilting that you use the same machine when piecing, as every 1/4" is not the same, depending on the machine. Look forward to seeing the finished quilt.
Old 07-05-2011, 06:49 AM

I actually had the same issue w/plastic tape measures. The one from Germany was actually off by about 1/16" but the one from China was perfect. When I get any new rulers I double check there accuracy prior to opening the package, if they aren't correct I'll take them back. Fortunately the only issues I've had so far have been w/the German tape measures.

Marie
Old 07-05-2011, 06:50 AM

Originally Posted by alikat110
Originally Posted by amma
I have found issues like this when I bounce between different brands of rulers. I pick one brand, and stick with it throughout the project now. It is not just this one particular ruler :wink: :D:D:D
This was recommended to me years ago...has not failed me yet.
Not only that, but I try to use the same RULER throughout the project. It can be cumbersone, but it helps with acurracy.