Go Back  Quiltingboard Forums > Main
Guess what I found? >

Guess what I found?

Guess what I found?

Old 11-21-2010, 04:04 PM

Originally Posted by cosyquilter
I was at my local grocer's today, picking up Thanksgiving and saw: FLOUR IN REAL FLOUR SACKS! Sweet florals just like the ones my mom bought in the fifties! About $3 more than the paper sacks. If I had a place to store 25 lbs, I might have bought a bag. Maybe after Christmas I'll indulge, just for the memory.
Store your flour in the freezer. That's what I do. Then get out as much as you need for your recipe and back in the freezer it goes. I'll have to look around here.
Old 11-21-2010, 04:34 PM
Power Poster

Find out if they ever go on sale.
Old 11-21-2010, 04:51 PM

Wow! I wonder if my local sells that - that is seriously cool. I'm not a heirloom stitcher but I think it's just too cool to not get!
Old 11-21-2010, 04:56 PM

There is a Winco in Spokane and I do buy 25-50 pounds of flour every fall! :-D I am going shopping!! :lol:
Old 11-21-2010, 05:56 PM

I would love some old feed sack cloths! My MIL told me about them, and I think I'm becoming addicted to them! I can hardly wait to see if any of our stores in Wisconsin carry them!
Old 11-21-2010, 05:59 PM

I've seen rice in cloth bags but I could never use that much rice. Flour on the other hand I might be able to work on since I love to bake.
Old 11-21-2010, 08:22 PM

Originally Posted by hobo2000
I think alot of people are stocking up because they keep telling us we are going to have a real shortage of food next year due to crop failings worldwide. Suddenly all of our stores are stocking 25-50# bags of flour, rice, beans, etc. I have not seen any in cotton bags yet.
Does anyone remember the "shortage" scare that occured in the seventies? We were told to stock up on toilet paper and paper towels. Do you think this may be the same type of thing? I'd love to get a few sacks. We can always share the flour, etc with our kids.
Old 11-21-2010, 08:28 PM

glass and plastic containers can keep the weevles out. (spell?)
Old 11-21-2010, 09:10 PM

Originally Posted by Rosyhf
I make my own bread and I have a 25 lb bag now but it's not the fabric one. I wish I knew...anyway, even if we stock up rice, beans, flour because of coming shortages....weebles will get in the stuff....it happen to my rice all the time. I think the egge come with the rice and just hatch later....
My dad who lived to be 102, always said that weevles(eggs) are in the flour, rice, etc when you buy them and they hatch after they set in the cabinet for a while.
Old 11-21-2010, 09:33 PM

Wow - I haven't seen that!! I would love the sacks but don't know what I would do with 25 lbs. of flour at one time!!