Go Back  Quiltingboard Forums > Main
Guess what I found? >

Guess what I found?

Guess what I found?

Old 11-23-2010, 08:03 AM
Power Poster

Freezing kills all possibility of having bugs hatch in the flour/grain items. I freeze boxes of pancake mix, Bisquick, any grain product. After a week or so I take them out of the freezer and put on the shelf. I have a small chest freezer I keep all my baking products in so freezing and storing isn't a big problem. I cheated this year and bought frozen yeast rolls. I just don't have the want to make so many this year. I usually keep a lot of my homemade baked yeast rolls in the freezer but I've been sewing instead of baking. Dry beans are easy to keep for long term, just seal so moisture will stay in the beans. Invest in a FoodSaver and it will save you $$$.
Old 11-23-2010, 11:45 AM

Originally Posted by Marilyn Philips
Reminds me of the old metal Premium soda cracker can that I still keep my crackers in. I don't think they have used these in many years and I wouldn't part with mine.
mama still has hers. all beat up by the years of use, but i want it some day
Old 11-23-2010, 02:02 PM

Originally Posted by linhawk
I have read Bay Leaves in the cabinet deter them and also boric acid for crawlies
Careful as boric acid is poison. Bay leaves do work! :D
Old 11-23-2010, 02:07 PM

Originally Posted by drgranny
Originally Posted by Rosyhf
I make my own bread and I have a 25 lb bag now but it's not the fabric one. I wish I knew...anyway, even if we stock up rice, beans, flour because of coming shortages....weebles will get in the stuff....it happen to my rice all the time. I think the egge come with the rice and just hatch later....
My dad who lived to be 102, always said that weevles(eggs) are in the flour, rice, etc when you buy them and they hatch after they set in the cabinet for a while.
Absolutely correct. Wish King Arthur Flour was in those bags, I could do some serious damage then. I go through about 10 lbs of flour in 10 to 12 days, I bake sourdough breads and sometimes give them to neighbors, although I probably go thru about 4 to 5 loaves a week even though theres just 3 of us. :D
Old 11-23-2010, 02:31 PM

great idea
Old 11-23-2010, 10:07 PM

Win-co in Washington sells the flour in the fabric sacks. I have bought them for several years. I do put them in the freezer till ready for use. Then I put it in a 5gal bucket with bay leaves in it. In fact I put bay leaves in anything that is flour based. Things like all pastas, corn meal, pancake mix, rice, cake mixes, etc. Those things will get weevils if you store them very long. I tested this by buying two 5lb bags of flour & set them next to each other. One I put bay leaves in & the other I didn't. The one with out the bay leaves got weevils & the other one didn't. I buy everything in bulk & have no wastage this way. Another thing about flour. It will go rancid if it sits for a long time. So if you buy that in bulk, you want to be sure you will use it fast enough.
Old 11-24-2010, 04:15 AM

I keep Bay leaves on my pantry shelves.
Old 11-25-2010, 08:49 PM
Dee

Originally Posted by Rosyhf
I make my own bread and I have a 25 lb bag now but it's not the fabric one. I wish I knew...anyway, even if we stock up rice, beans, flour because of coming shortages....weebles will get in the stuff....it happen to my rice all the time. I think the egge come with the rice and just hatch later....
I have a little tip. If you put noodles, rice and flour in the freezer for 2 weeks, you will never get these little critters. I'm trying it out now myself. My friend says it really works. :D
Also, use the bayleaves.
Old 11-26-2010, 02:54 PM

Originally Posted by ann31039
Originally Posted by Marilyn Philips
Reminds me of the old metal Premium soda cracker can that I still keep my crackers in. I don't think they have used these in many years and I wouldn't part with mine.
mama still has hers. all beat up by the years of use, but i want it some day
I remember Mom's Premium can. I think she got rid of it when we moved. I guess with 5 children, she could not keep everything.
Old 11-26-2010, 03:03 PM

I always store my rice and flours in the freezer. It kills the bug
eggs and they don't hatch. I use whole wheat flours and have found that storing it in the freezer prevents it from going rancid.