Go Back  Quiltingboard Forums > Main
Guggenhein scissors. >

Guggenhein scissors.

Guggenhein scissors.

Old 02-01-2024, 08:43 AM
Power Poster

Isn't Alibaba in Canada the same company as Wawak in the US?
I have some of their brand of scissors and they are good. We use them for everything scissors. I have a pair of the Bordeaux by Clover, the big ones endorsed by Nancy Zieman. They are nice but now are showing their age and many uses. I thought I'd try the Guggenheim before replacing the Clover. Time will tell. I have about every brand of scissors. All cut fabric but get draggy over time. My Buckley scissors blade broke when I dropped them on a hard floor. Scissors are not a one time buy so may as well try out new ones.
Old 02-01-2024, 09:44 AM
mkc

Originally Posted by Onebyone View Post
Isn't Alibaba in Canada the same company as Wawak in the US?
Alibaba is a huge Chinese corporation (you may have read about Jack Ma in the financial news). They're kind of a distribution network for thousands of wholesalers/suppliers.

Wawak has a Canadian presence - Wawak Canada

ETA - are you maybe thinking of Paccana?

Last edited by mkc; 02-01-2024 at 09:46 AM.
Old 02-01-2024, 04:36 PM
Power Poster

In a video I watched it mentioned that Alibaba is Wawak, same company different name. I guess it doesn't matter. Temu is based in the US as a distributor of Chinese products. Everyone gets in a tizzy about buying from Temu. Same products are sold to different distributors who supply small business. There is no getting away from China made no matter the price or name.
Old 02-01-2024, 06:00 PM
mkc

Alibaba is definitely not Wawak and definitely not the same company with a different name.

Alibaba *is* a step above Temu (and Wish), but it and those are nothing more than marketplaces for overseas goods without validation of the products. Alibaba is a mega marketplace on the order of - or larger than - Amazon, that provides a marketplace that sells everything under the sun worldwide. It is not a sewing supply company (although some of the wholesalers that sell via Alibaba might sell sewing related items)

This is Alibaba. It is a multi-billion dollar commerce entity based in China (as are Temu and Wish).

YouTube is not a reliable source of information on these sorts of things.

Wawak and Paccana are legitimate sewing supply businesses.

Last edited by mkc; 02-01-2024 at 06:09 PM.
Old 02-02-2024, 07:47 AM

I got the 8 inch shears and I love them. Later on they sent me an email to buy the embroidery scissors and applique scissors for the great price of $24.95. If I wasn't totally satisfied I could get another pair of the 8 inch. The new scissors were junk and I noticed their name is not on the new scissors and told Steven at Guggenhein that. They sent me another two pair that were worse than the first ones. One pair has completely broken in half. I never bothered to email them again and thinking about it now maybe I should.

So disgusted with JUNK that I paid good money for.
Old 02-02-2024, 08:09 AM
Power Poster

If I find the scissors to be that bad I will email every hour until I get results. I am like a dog with a bone when it comes to bad products I buy. The youtube video I was referring to was from Canada about Wawak. I will post on the video to say it's been said not true.
Old 02-03-2024, 05:55 AM

I, too, am like a dog with a bone when "cheated". I do not go away. Perseverance yields results. I do hope that I am pleased with my purchase. I need to build a station of supplies at my longarm. Definitely needed a second pair of scissors.
Old 02-03-2024, 05:51 PM
mkc

Originally Posted by Onebyone View Post
The youtube video I was referring to was from Canada about Wawak. I will post on the video to say it's been said not true.
I would also suggest sharing the link to the video with Wawak - send them an e-mail or "contact us" and include the link. Their reputation will be negatively affected by these fraudulent claims.
Old 02-06-2024, 03:45 AM

Well, I ordered scissors on Feb 1, 6 days ago. They are shipping from New Braunfels, which is near San Antonio. I could drive there in 2 hours. Maybe they will arrive today...
Old 02-09-2024, 05:38 AM

My order arrived! Nice scissors and, I ordered the snippers, which I love. Seems well put together and sturdy.