Go Back  Quiltingboard Forums > Main
Guggenhein scissors. >

Guggenhein scissors.

Guggenhein scissors.

Old 01-30-2024, 10:48 AM
Power Poster

Default Guggenhein scissors.

I went to Stitchin Heaven's Sewing Expo in Dec. If you bought certain items you got a free gift of a pair of Guggenhien Fabric Shears. They are made in Texas. I have to say these are the best scissors I have ever used. They beat my Kai, Ginghers, Buckley, and many other brands I have. It is like cutting air. I ordered the three pair set I liked the shears so much. And the set was $35 for all three. They are excellent made and also look elegant.
Old 01-31-2024, 04:30 AM

I have several pairs myself, including pinking shears. They are so very nice!
Old 01-31-2024, 04:45 AM

I ordered a pair of the 8" shears last year when they were on sale. I love them!
Old 01-31-2024, 06:28 AM

Their website is offering 50% off. I ordered a pair for about $22. Thanks for the info.
Old 01-31-2024, 07:55 AM

FYI I have several pairs myself. Nice, but will not purchase from them again. They state that they guarantee the quality and workmanship. One of my scissors has a bur in the tip, out of the package. I contacted them. I have to pay shipping back to them. Poor customer service. BTW these scissors are not designed and made in Texas, they are made in China by a large company LDH.
Texas, canadian and many other distributors have their name printed on the scissors, including Guggenhein. Now is that a reflection on the scissors, not really if you are happy with them. However, you can purchase the same scissors from amazon and Alibaba. On amazon they are listed as "professional SCISSORS" for $9.99, they are comparable according to a you tube comparison by the Idiot Quilter. There are many others on Amazon that are 13.99 and up, depending in the length. It pays to shop around. Do not buy their light weight, plastic handle serrated edge scissors. They rough cut.
LDH in Shenzhen china makes these scissors. Google LDH scissors, many brands show up.
Another discovery when researching, I didn't know the difference in shears and scissors.....
What is the difference between shears and scissors?

The difference between “scissors” and “shears” is length and design of the handles. Scissors are smaller than 10” with two identical handles while shears are 10” or longer with one rounded bow for the thumb and a longer more elliptical bow for two or more fingers.
My favorite "cut like butter" scissors are Bordeaux, by Clover. Very expensive, but love them. hope this information helps.
Old 01-31-2024, 08:31 AM
Power Poster

I never heard of that brand but I absolutely love my Kai. Good info, though!
Old 01-31-2024, 08:48 AM

Diana - did you buy them from somewhere else? According to the website they have a 90 day return and you don't have to send them back AND they will send you 8" Gingher shears. https://www.guggenhein.com/
Old 01-31-2024, 09:35 AM

Unfortunately, I was past the 90 days due to do the fact these were a gift, purchased earlier in the year by my DD when they were on sale. I could not get them to return messages after the first email to send back. I don't think they do the free ginghers either. I saw online back when I was trying to communicate with them, that a quilter said she did not get a ginger pair either. My husband said he would take the bur off. I guess at this point, that's better than trying to work with Guggenhein, i was concerned about the warranty being voided at the time. I still reach for my Bordeaux scissors.
Old 01-31-2024, 10:54 AM
mkc

Originally Posted by Lady Diana View Post
My husband said he would take the bur off. I guess at this point, that's better than trying to work with Guggenhein, i was concerned about the warranty being voided at the time.
If your husband doesn't have sharpening equipment in his shop, check for someone local that does knife sharpening. The guy I use for kitchen knives does hair stylist and dog grooming shears all the time and I expect he could do fabric shears and scissors as long as they aren't serrated in any way. Not mine, but I've seen before and after photos of blades he's dealt with that had some pretty bad edge defects.
Old 01-31-2024, 02:33 PM
Power Poster

Stitchin Heaven told everyone the scissors were made in Texas. I guess someone is mixed up.
So far I have nothing bad to say about them. I used the big pair this morning to cut through denim pants legs including the seams and they did not stall, cut right through first cut. Here is the email i was sent after my order came to saying if I had any problems or questions to contact [email protected]